Warn VR winches? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for posting that info up Andy. I actually just ordered a vr10000 yesterday morning, but as the day progressed I just had this little bit of doubt in the back of my mind as to whether I made a good choice or not.

to help folks decide what to get here, can you tell us a bit about how the VR series differ from the regular line in terms of quality, reliability etc? Thanks.

X2 .. and we know that must be a difference .. you are paying less $$$ ( far less )

x3, need a dependable farm winch and was debating between smittybuilt, superwinch and warn, with price being VERY important.

Last edited:
X2 .. and we know that must be a difference .. you are paying less $$$ ( far less )

The differences are:

• Motor (different motor than M8000, different performance)
• Solenoids (vs. contactor on M-series, others)
• Different remote (we've got a new remote on the M-series)
• Finish (flat black vs. argent gray on the M-series)

These parts are less expensive for us, and thus, less expensive for the consumer.

Also, if you compare the performance data, you'll see the M8000 is faster than the VR8000, which is an effect of the different motor.

No load line speed
M8000= 29 ft/min
VR8000= 42 ft/min

8000 lb. line speed
M8000= 8.01 ft/min
VR8000= 4.8 ft/mim

The differences are:

• Motor (different motor than M8000, different performance)
• Solenoids (vs. contactor on M-series, others)
• Different remote (we've got a new remote on the M-series)
• Finish (flat black vs. argent gray on the M-series)

These parts are less expensive for us, and thus, less expensive for the consumer.

Also, if you compare the performance data, you'll see the M8000 is faster than the VR8000, which is an effect of the different motor.

No load line speed
M8000= 29 ft/min
VR8000= 42 ft/min

8000 lb. line speed
M8000= 8.01 ft/min
VR8000= 4.8 ft/mim

OK, good to know on the speed. Thanks. But what do the changes above like the motor and solenoids mean in terms of reliability and durability?

OK, good to know on the speed. Thanks. But what do the changes above like the motor and solenoids mean in terms of reliability and durability?

We've done plenty of durability and reliability testing on these—just like all of our other winches.

We back the VR with the exact same warranty as all of our other winches, so we'll stand behind the VR Series just like we stand behind all of our other 12V winches.

- Andy

We've done plenty of durability and reliability testing on these—just like all of our other winches.

We back the VR with the exact same warranty as all of our other winches, so we'll stand behind the VR Series just like we stand behind all of our other 12V winches.

- Andy

Doesn't answer the question, but I understand. Thanks.

i wouldn't worry about running solenoids , i run two on my ramsey and my desert dynamics . i have yet to burn out a solenoid and its easy to carry cheap spares in the glove box .

No load line speed
M8000= 29 ft/min
VR8000= 42 ft/min

8000 lb. line speed
M8000= 8.01 ft/min
VR8000= 4.8 ft/mim

Thats scary. the good one only bogs down 21 fpm. The cheap one bogs down 37fpm. That scares me and look bad when both are compared side by side.

So what makes this winch worth $100 more than a Smittybuilt XRC8 that has an 8.2 FPM pull at 8000#?

Jeremy

I dont see it yet.

If anyone has a new cheap warn vr 8000 in the puget sound area I have no problem hooking my smitty built to them, hook to hook and seeing which winch stalls first.

Honestly I am curious. any takers?

I wouldn't bet on your $hittybuilt to outpull.

So what makes this winch worth $100 more than a Smittybuilt XRC8 that has an 8.2 FPM pull at 8000#?

Jeremy

The obvious difference is that the VR is sealed, which would be an advantage if your winch sees wet situations.

Oops. I read the specs again and they are not sealed. I think I got them confused with the Smitty X2O line, which is sealed.

Last edited:
To me it's all about support. In 5 or more years you need a part for your winch you still have access to it for a decent price.

Thats scary. the good one only bogs down 21 fpm. The cheap one bogs down 37fpm. That scares me and look bad when both are compared side by side.

I dont see it yet.

If anyone has a new cheap warn vr 8000 in the puget sound area I have no problem hooking my smitty built to them, hook to hook and seeing which winch stalls first.

Honestly I am curious. any takers?

How about , I come down and stall your s***ty built with my M8000 and then finish it off with my 6hp 8274 LOL

There was a time when I went snow crawling with some people. They had 400hp jeeps with 37" plus tyres. I couldnt float as well ( because my cruiser weighed about a ton more with smaller tyres. ) Anyhow One guy wanted to be an ANchor. I was like no , way . I need a tree. So the guy takes my hook and attaches it to his Big block powered CJ-7 . I start winching with the M8000 and he gets pulled back while I dont move. He gets mad and winds up 400 plus hp with all wheels spinning, I was still pulling him back .

CLARITY STATEMENT- It is very dangerous to have 2 winches pulling on each other at the same time, cables , hooks and winches could become cruise missles flying a couple of feet above the ground at a couple of hundred miles per hour destroying anything those projectiles come in contact with.

Last edited:
How about , I come down and stall your ****ty built with my M8000 and then finish it off with my 6hp 8274

Are you blind? The offer was my cheapy VS their cheapy. Your reading comprehension could use a recovery.. The M8000 doesnt have scary bog down numbers like the VR does.

The upright however is the king of all winches. They just dont fit on a buggy or mini very well and most folks dont have a G for a winch.

Get that 400 dollar VR and Ill hook it to my 300 dollar s***ty. Thats the deal.

I just put a VR8000 on the 40. My initial thoughts are its very similar to a m8000. I tightened up the cable and it pulled at a decent speed. Its no where near as fast as my 9500ti but its the fastest I have seen and you can buy 3 VR for what that winch cost. For me it came down to a good reputation and a company that will stand behind their product. I haven't seen a rep from smittybuilt or any other cheepo company make a post in this thread. thats my .02

Are you blind? The offer was my cheapy VS their cheapy. Your reading comprehension could use a recovery.. The M8000 doesnt have scary bog down numbers like the VR does.

The upright however is the king of all winches. They just dont fit on a buggy or mini very well and most folks dont have a G for a winch.

Get that 400 dollar VR and Ill hook it to my 300 dollar ****ty. Thats the deal.

No I am not blind. I just think you are ***** for even posting something like that.
I wouldnt want to see anybody get hurt or damage to their property.

No I am not blind. I just think you are ***** for even posting something like that.
I wouldnt want to see anybody get hurt or damage to their property.

Im not a sissy. Ive ran a winch since I was a kid. I dont need safety lessons. EVERY time you hook a cable to something you should be on top of your game.

I have stalled and burnt up more winches than you have most likely even used. Im not afraid of any lay down winch out there. I do have more respect for the power and SPEED of the upright warn than any other ELECTRIC winch I have used.
Right now on my property I have 2 smitty8Ks, 2 warn laydown 12Ks, and one MM pos that wont work anymore without a hammer.

All I see is you making an excuse as to why I cant have an honest pulloff in the name of research.

I would love to leave 4 burnt brush marks on the commutator of a VR if anyone has one and wants to throw down.

Its all speculation till one wins.

Cheaper with better stats
or
Cheap with bad stats.

Either smitty is misrepresenting its line/load speeds or warn is charging an extra $100 for less performance.

I am curious to find out. If my smitty stalls out by all means I will suggest a cost effective warn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom