True Cost of 60 Ownership (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently bought a '87 FJ60 (290k miles) from the original owner and he was kind enough to pass along his book of service history. He even found the original dealer invoice! It is missing the records from 11k-110k but it pretty complete after that. They're all nice and organized and put into a folder and everything. It's pretty cool to see old school hand written repair orders.

I spent most of my day off putting it all into a spread sheet and adding it all up. Anyway, anyone care to guess how much documented service he had done?

I never want / need my better half to know how much i spend on my cruisers.

I dont want to know what I have invested in my cruisers, Im sure its enough to have put down a substantial deposit on a new tow rig.

It would be interesting to hear ... But I just can't stop ordering parts ... I'm seriously hooked !!

I've got records like that on mine. I'm going with $22,000. Heck, there was about $2,000 worth of J-tube EGR exhaust repair on mine before I put the SOR stainless steel one on.

I was thinking about it the other day and I think I have about $2k in my rear axle alone. Bought the tranny for $1000, tires for 700, bumpers for around $700, etc. Don't really want to think about it any more.

so i'm guessing he was not a wrencher?

I think he did some of the work himself, not too much though. He mostly went to the shop for drivability issues (leaking radiator 5 times, a couple of brake jobs, loss of power, etc). I am a bit curious about what happened between his first service visit and when the records got really detailed.

Before I had bought it he had spent at least...................

$7,492.46 in Parts
$7,373.20 in Labor
$19,664.90 for the truck on 8/21/1987

$34,530.76 :eek:

Thats really not too bad in my opinion.

I was thinking about it the other day and I think I have about $2k in my rear axle alone. Bought the tranny for $1000, tires for 700, bumpers for around $700, etc. Don't really want to think about it any more.

tires alone on both my trucks are over $2k for a set of 4 on EACH truck. that adds up fast after a set of two. Hell the damn tow rig is over $1,200 for it! (is should be known I love getting new tires but despise the price of them) then gears, drive train parts ect not to mention all the maintenance and broken things either from trail or regular failure. oil changes ect ect ect.

I think he did some of the work himself, not too much though. He mostly went to the shop for drivability issues (leaking radiator 5 times, a couple of brake jobs, loss of power, etc). I am a bit curious about what happened between his first service visit and when the records got really detailed.

Before I had bought it he had spent at least...................

$7,492.46 in Parts
$7,373.20 in Labor
$19,664.90 for the truck on 8/21/1987

$34,530.76 :eek:

thats not bad at all, must be stock still :grinpimp:

$1501/year to drive a Cruiser for 23 years! (not counting gas). Nobody can ride for free. Even if the actual cost was 2X the above, it was a great deal. How much would it cost to lease a new SUV every 3-5 years? Oh, and we forgot to deduct the price he received from the current owner which should knock of some $ This is a perfect example of "The only way to get your money out of these things is to drive them."

If you drive your rig far enough, you will spend more on gasoline alone than you paid for it. 100,000 miles at 15 miles per gallon is 6,666 gallons @ $3.00 per gallon is $20,000. Now add insurance, taxes and license, maintenance and upgrades....

OK, so keep the receipts. Just don't add them up and you'll live a happier life.

The cost of ownership???? Never enough after some basic mechanical and suspension stuff. So....I am in the middle of an interior resto and paint job. A shop that I take my truck to for some maintenance work said...."I once had a horse that......." I think they sold the horse.

My old HJ60 had a $4500 bill for a rebuild, $2000 for an OME lift kit, $450 for an alternator, and $1200 for 33's within the year prior of me buying it. It also had the head fixed for cracking, then replaced a few years down the road within the past ten years.

I've got a good $8000 on top of the $6500 I payed for my BJ60 within the past 9 months/30,000kms. Yes, 30,000kms in nine months. These are the big things, then you factor in oil changes, filters, additives, and general small maintence.

Maintence since April 2010:

- Completely rebuilt rear end. New everything. $2270.
- Two new Motomaster batteries. Top of the line, 9 yr warranty. $527.
- Cooper 35x12.50r15 STT's. $1400.
- Rebuilt front birfield assemblies. Seals, bearings etc.
- Relay rod rebuild.
- Water Pump. $220
- Starter $300.
- Poly bushings. $50.
- Fuel filter. $15.
- Air Filter. $25.
- All belts. $70
- Upper and lower radiator hoses. $100.
- 6000k HID's. under warranty. $300.
- U joint. $50.
- Used carpet, door panels, re-upholstered interior.
- Much more. If you are interested I can figure the rest out.

Front 3rd member needs a complete rebuild, almost all u-joints are shot as well as driveshaft yokes, it needs new tie rods and drag links, and it's rusty beyond belief.

But I love her still. :rolleyes:

Mine pays me ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom