Charcoal Canister - Great Option! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great find!

Romer, let us know how it handles your altitude.

Thanks.

Guys,
went from sea level to 12,400' up and down- no back pressure or venting - it's a nice find.

Very interested. I assume Napa would carry a similar product. I will have to check. Thanks for the find.

Jack

Guys,
went from sea level to 12,400' up and down- no back pressure or venting - it's a nice find.

James - Did you replace your modified canister with this?

yes, I thought for the price, why not give it a go

the highest point that I refueled was at 3000' (after going up and down 12000')

*note
I modified the new CC by drilling a hole in the bottom cap and screwing in the OEM CC's swivel breather tube that routes down under the engine.

The new CC is like a saucer, venting into the engine bay but the OEM design is better I think.
4998723559_6c0242b61f.jpg

further note- very cool weather- so we shall see how it does in 100+F heat added into the mix

Last edited:
Following this thread... Need something and saving cash at this point would be great!!

Very interested. I assume Napa would carry a similar product. I will have to check. Thanks for the find.

Jack

Jack,

Let us know what you find out.

thanks.

Last edited:
Cant get the Part VC120 From Autozone.. they discontinued?
A little google search netted me the application for this part for a 1997 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX GT 3.8L 231 cubic inch V6 MFI ? Can anyone confirm any other part numbers and results?

Yea here it is - 97 Pontiac Vapor Canister - but it's $91

I'm gonna order the one off rockauto ...

And said before, but I think it had a dead link ... Here it is on rock auto for the OP part # given of VC120 - otherwise, I did a good search for "VC120 vapor"

Yep, that is the price my local Napa gave me, that is the list price, so if you have any discounts you could probably get it cheaper, just not sure how much that would be.

Here is what I got off of Rockauto.

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # CP1031
$50.79

ACDELCO Part # 21575 {#17090139}
CANISTER,EVAP EMIS
$56.89

AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 4B1004 {#17088049, 17089089, 17090139, VC120}
$45.79

Those are what came up for a 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 3.8l V6.

Jack

Last edited:
I have the airtex wells one. go cheap.

if you're going to spend $100+ all in, don't buy a GM aftermarket plastic CC.

Bad Gas Venting

Just ordered the Airtex from rock auto for $ 51.38 including shipping!!
I used discount code 41325233402879 that you enter on the how did you hear about us field at checkout, and got 5% discount About $2.75 ;)
AIRTEX / WELLS 4B1004
Anyone have any continuing experience on these? I know it's a recent post, but my Gas Venting :hillbilly: :rolleyes: is so bad my wife has taken to calling the Beast the Fart machine :lol: :doh:

UPDATE!
Rock Auto is out of stock on the AIRTEX, but they have the STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # CP1031
Good service from Rock Auto, they contacted me immediately and offered me the alternative for a minimal price difference! I also asked the salesman for an IH8MUD discount ;) If he send me a coupon code I'll post it!

Last edited:
Just ordered the Airtex from rock auto for $ 51.38 including shipping!!
I used discount code 41325233402879 that you enter on the how did you hear about us field at checkout, and got 5% discount About $2.75 ;)
AIRTEX / WELLS 4B1004
Anyone have any continuing experience on these? I know it's a recent post, but my Gas Venting :hillbilly: :rolleyes: is so bad my wife has taken to calling the Beast the Fart machine :lol: :doh:

After a major gas tank pressure issue (for me at least), I went ahead and ordered one of these from AutoZone. 2 fill-ups and no pressure issues at all, best $30.00 I have ever spent.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...C7A.diyprod1-b2c11?itemIdentifier=239708_0_0_

Last edited:
Subscribing. No venting issues yet, but since I drive from sea level to 15,000 ft. in less than two hours, a couple of times a year. It's good to know there might be a cheaper solution out there.

Great to hear that everyone is seeing positive results. Mine is still working great for me as well!

FirsToy, great idea on the bottom breather hose. I thought that the canister sucked fresh air in thru that port, but it must also pass fumes thru that port when the pressure exceeds a certain amount and the engine isn't purging. Conditions like rock crawling at idle for extended periods will slosh fuel in tank creating vapors, and the engine doesn't purge at idle.

Last edited:
Great to hear that everyone is seeing positive results. Mine is still working great for me as well!

FirsToy, great idea on the bottom breather hose. I thought that the canister sucked fresh air in thru that port, but it must also pass fumes thru that port when the pressure exceeds a certain amount and the engine isn't purging. Conditions like rock crawling at idle for extended periods will slosh fuel in tank creating vapors, and the engine doesn't purge at idle.

From taking apart the OEM Toyota one, I tend to agree. It seemed to me that the lower hose sucks in air.

Part of the problem was that the OEM cc lower hose sucked in dirty air over the years and clogged the filter inside- shutting off the fresh air and that would stop the cc from working properly.

Like you, I reasoned it could flow the other way with vapors, which is probably why Toyota extended the hose down to the breather box, out of the engine bay.
Or, it could be that it just prevents it from sucking in dusty air and quickly clogging the cc.

This may be a stupid question, but is there any concern with that hose getting submerged ?

I was thinking of drilling the hole, and adding a littler breather filter on there to prevent dust, etc ....

I installed this today. Did not drill the hole. Used only the top bracket vs the two on the existing unit to install. Went in real easy.

I had to use a longer bolt for the bracket as the circumfrance of this unit is bigger

Not sure the next time I will be driving at elevation
Charcoal Can 1.JPG
Charcoal Can 2.JPG

Ken,
What's the heater hose going to your battery box?

From taking apart the OEM Toyota one, I tend to agree. It seemed to me that the lower hose sucks in air.

Part of the problem was that the OEM cc lower hose sucked in dirty air over the years and clogged the filter inside- shutting off the fresh air and that would stop the cc from working properly.

Like you, I reasoned it could flow the other way with vapors, which is probably why Toyota extended the hose down to the breather box, out of the engine bay.
Or, it could be that it just prevents it from sucking in dusty air and quickly clogging the cc.

Am I reading correctly that you think this other CC without the lower hose will work better, i.e. we should plug it if we have OEM CC's? I just bought a new factory one, just curious given Ken just installed his with just the upper two hoses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom