Out of hibernation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Out of hibernation (5280's Build up)

I pulled the Cover off my 60 yesterday afternoon.

It had been wintering beside my house since November, and we had a Brutal winter here in Denver! After i Hooked the Jumpers to the Battery from my Tacoma, it started in about 10 seconds!

I attribut it to the seafoam i put in the tank in the fall. It really works well as a Gas preservative.

Anyway, shes ready to get some work done!

Last edited:
Good deal! We'll have to get her up to Spring Creek this summer. I'm finally getting my 60 trail worthy (it starts, idles, and I'm putting on new brakes all the way around this weekend so it'll even stop!) Bought it from a hippie in Ft. Collins, and I think think he fixed everything on the truck with a crescent wrench, duct tape, and a small screwdriver set so it's been a lot of work.

Hehe, kinda funny, no matter how crappy of a job he did fixing it, the truck still ran when I got it......barely. I'm still sifting through the crap the guy did to my poor truck. The fuel pump was leaking like a civ and he had a rag wrapped around it, which in turn was soaked in gas at all times, not something I wanted under the hood! I put a new fuel pump in it before I even drove it home. Thats just one of the cool suprises that awaited me.

I got some work done Saturday and Sunday, and im finally finally able to post some pictures. I Drained and filled the T-case, Tranny, and the front and rear diffs. The Oil that came out looked like something served at starbucks! :eek: While i had it on the Jackstands, i went to town on the grease, dirt and slight rust on the front axle and the steering linkage and sway bar, ect. cleaned them all really well. You'd be amazed what a little high perofrmance flat black spray paint will do! I think the next job, will be the Knuckle rebuild. I already did the Front Hub bearings and the 4WD hubs. Then the 4Runner Calipers swap.

NewPictures030.jpg

NewPictures033.jpg

That looks GREAT! Did you just give it the wire brush and can treatment?

Thanks!

Yeah, I used a Wire Brush, De-greaser, even a Roto Wire Brush on the Cordless drill,...and a bunch of old socks.

I just pulled the Driver side Birfield and what did i find???

NewPictures108.jpg

Thats Right. A Big nasty Mess. Im not daunted, though. This is the second one. Guess that Inner axle seal is pretty bad. It's pretty obvious that this side has been leaking a while, judging from all the dirt-oil build-up. Oh and i do have SS brake Hoses to replace that one i cut!

Here's my Birf - At least it will be easy to clean out!

NewPictures107.jpg

I'll add some more shots when i get the rest off, and cleaned/painted, and start installing the parts from the kit.

I just finished the Drivers side Knuckle.

Heres a shot before the Axle went back in

NewPictures027.jpg

Here's the Driver and passenger side completed

NewPictures029.jpg

Passenger.jpg

Thanks,

It looks a lot better than it did back in September. I really felt a little overwhelmed (like holy crap! what did i get myself into!:eek: when i first drove it home.) but now i'm excited to keep going on anything i can do. Really, it's the funding that is holding me back from making major progress on the engine and Body, but that will also change soon enough.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

I got some work done Saturday and Sunday, and im finally finally able to post some pictures. I Drained and filled the T-case, Tranny, and the front and rear diffs. The Oil that came out looked like something served at starbucks! :eek: While i had it on the Jackstands, i went to town on the grease, dirt and slight rust on the front axle and the steering linkage and sway bar, ect. cleaned them all really well. You'd be amazed what a little high perofrmance flat black spray paint will do! I think the next job, will be the Knuckle rebuild. I already did the Front Hub bearings and the 4WD hubs. Then the 4Runner Calipers swap.

NewPictures030.jpg

NewPictures033.jpg

Nice looking rig. Not to highjack however what brand fender flares are those and how do you like them. Are they real flexible or solid? Good luck on the front end.

They are the SOR's My Dad put them on (one side:mad: ) before he sold me the rig. Honestly I don't think i will keep them. They look a little flimsey to me(plastic is hard and brittle), and they install using rivets????.

I will probably remove them and do the body work i know is waiting under there.

are you looking to get rid of them I would be interested in them if you have both sides. let me know how much for all four corners.

I finally got my 4runner calipers on, and now have been going after rust on the body and frame of my 60 the last few days. In another thread i posted how i found a bunch of great body parts at a place here in Denver called Yota Yard. Here's some pics of the existing conditions and then the new parts.
NewPictures032-1.jpg

And here is the QP i bought to replace it.
NewPictures043.jpg

Other side -
NewPictures042.jpg

I also have some serious rust on my Tailgate but not for long -
NewPictures034.jpg

New -
NewPictures041.jpg

I found a guy that is coming to look at my quarter panels early next week. He said that to weld in the areas that have the rust would be a minimum of $500 for both sides. I guess that's reasonable but im hoping to not pay much more than that.

I just finished the Drivers side Knuckle.

Heres a shot before the Axle went back in

NewPictures027.jpg

Here's the Driver and passenger side completed

NewPictures029.jpg

Passenger.jpg

nice work!

those knuckles are looking nice and clean. Inspiration for me to do mine!

was just through denver...drove through on my way back to ohio from seattle...did some easy wheeling up at slaughterhouse gulch...would have been fun to put together a cruiser posse out there.

next time.

The paint helpes. I repainted everything that had remnants of the factory paint on it. Made the job take longer but to me it was worth it.

Mmmm, clean...

Wait untill tomorrow when i can get some pics. The 60 got some new (to me) Meats!

33 x 10.50's on american Racing Wheels black powdercoat! Looks sick!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom