83 fj 60, fuel pouring out of charcoal cannister (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

caladin

Noob, but trying to learn
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
bz93.com
Working on my dad's 83 fj60 at the ranch.

New behavior hard to start, no choke cable, but been that way for years.

Plan was to blow out idle passages on carb, replace, ratty vac lines and spray a bunch of cleaner in carb.

Air cleaner lid pulled to get at carb. Is wide open.

She has In line fuel pump to prime fuel, or it takes forever to start

We start then used to turn off and it ran fine.

New behavior
Turn pump on, let it run to prime, starts and runs okay..

Turn pump off now and it runs for a min then dies.

Mechanical fuel pump is bad, fine just leave the electric running.

Turn pump back on will not start and gas is pouring out of charcoal cannister at bottom.

Google says fuel tank level over bottom of cannister or over pressured tank. Loosen gas cap, no whoosh. Leave gas cap loose for next test

Pulled cannister, bottom port is broken off cleanly.

PXL_20231014_193836640.MP.jpg

With cannister out and engine cold, turn pump on, no fuel leak.

Pump pedal a few times and start, but runs like crap at first, till I get some RPM, then smoothes out and runs fine.

Run a bit, turn off fuel pump, runs a bit, then dies (as expected, same as before )

Turn fuel pump back on and soon fuel is dumping out of the larger diameter hose that was connected to top of fuel cannister.
The one with the electric switch/solenoid on it

You can see the gas dumping out in pic.
PXL_20231014_194452393.jpg

Normally I'd plug the lines and see what happens, since it supposed to redice gas fumes..

But Gas pouring out of a, system for vapors seems bad,

So that's my new priority. Any ideas what is wrong?

I'm stumped. I was expecting to clean up the carb and be good.

What is the purpose of that large line to charcoal cannister? I trace it on fire, wall behind engine, but can't see it on other side.

What does electric switch/valve-solinoid do?

What turns it on and off?

Is gas in the cannister normal, and it's only leaking because bottom port nipple was broken off?

Can I just leave cannister out and plug all the lines?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

There’s too much gasoline in the tank.
It’s getting forced out the vapor vent lines at the top — and pushed into the charcoal canister.
If the tank is too full and the gas cap doesn’t seal tight like it should, a siphon can set up and gasoline will gush out of the charcoal canister.
Happened to me before.
Toyota has a warning in the user manual to not overfill the gas tank.

Thanks oss!

Jzv386Z.jpg

This diagram shows that line coming from float bowl, maybe I need to adjust float height?

. Going to lower gas in tank first. Wanted this to refer back too

View attachment 3455850

This diagram shows that line coming from float bowl, maybe I need to adjust float height?

. Going to lower gas in tank first. Wanted this to refer back too

Likely you have a piece of crud in the float needle seat, which is keeping it from closing, hence the float bowl overfilling. I posted the relevant page from the (1980) 2F Engine Repair Manual in your other thread (that I saw first). You probably won't need to adjust the float; just take it out and clean the needle and seat and float bowl. And replace your fuel filter.

The Outer Vent Control Valve upstream of the charcoal canister is supposed to allow vapors from the float bowl to waft down into the canister when the ignition key is off. When the key gets turned On, the valve closes. Or it’s supposed to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom