83 FJ60 Build up thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have decided to start a thread on the build up of my 1983 FJ60. I have read all the great threads in the 40 & 55 section and haven't seen one in the 60 section yet.

I have never rebuilt a car from the ground up, so I am not an expert (please bear with me). I wanted to give myself a bodyshop 101 course while attempting to give back what others here have provided to me.

I bought a blue FJ60 with gray interior in July of 2006 with 233k miles on it. The clutch was out and the PO had put an electric fuel pump on when the mechanical pump went out. There is rust around the rear wheel wells, and some minor body damage. The interior is worn out, but complete.

I am not going to "restore" the truck. I am going to rebuild the 60 from the frame up but change things to suit me (paint color, seats, etc.). I will keep the original 2F and drivetrain. The end result will be a daily driven truck that I can say honestly say "I rebuilt it".

This is going to be a long project as I have two little boys and have to travel on occasion for work. I will try to update as often as I can.

Thanks all!

Last edited:
Disassembly work

Got about 3.75 hours total on the FJ60.

45 minutes on 12/26 removing the grill and headlight covers.

1 hour on 12/29 attempting to remove the front bumper and apron. The PO had ran the truck into something on the driver front side and pinched the front bumper into the apron. Ended up removing the headlights instead - Had to use easy out to get the screws out.

2 hours on 12/30 removing the apron, bumper, hood latch support, hood springs and hood. I had to drill out one of the bolts on the bumper to get the bumper off.

Last edited:
Sounds cool. I'll look forward to following you.

yeah, I'm looking forward to this too. My only suggestion would be to consider keeping the color original - it looks really good.

Are you going to use the same chasis/frame?
If so, what are you going to do about rust?

87 FJ60, with rust

Are you going to use the same chasis/frame?
If so, what are you going to do about rust?

Thanks all for the interest! I will definitely do my best to keep moving and try to post as many pics as I can.

Winston, I am going to keep the same frame and body. I bought a 4' x 8' sheet of 18 gauge steel to cut out the rust and weld in new metal in the body. The frame looks like surface rust only, except for the C channel in the non-boxed portion behind the rear axle (Sounds common from all the threads I have read). I will have to take a better look at the frame when I get into it - may have to remove the C Channel and box it in, or cut and splice.

Regarding the stock colors, Cool Cruisers of Texas has a list and some photos on their website, might help. TLC in Van Nuys has a list also but no photos.

I will be following this closely. I have an 84 fj60 in the same color and condition. Rust in all the same places. Let me know if I can be of any help, I live in northwest Denver.

good luck!

I too have the wheel well rust problem, I look forward to seeing your solutions

I too have the wheel well rust problem, I look forward to seeing your solutions

x3.

getting a donor tailgate to practice my rust repair techniques on...

I have an 84 with rust in the same areas as well. I'm going to be doing a build soon as well. Look forward to seeing your solutions so I have an idea of what I need to do during my trek down build up.

I will be following this closely. I have an 84 fj60 in the same color and condition. Rust in all the same places. Let me know if I can be of any help, I live in northwest Denver.

good luck!

Thanks for the color codes. I will leave the color up in the air until I get that far along. I was actually thinking of a gun metal gray, I didn't even know that was a stock color. I do like the darker blues too.

Nepalm I will let you know if/when I need help. I think the biggest pain will be getting the body off the frame.

2 hours on the 60 today. Because I am doing this all in a 2 car garage, I had to get the new engine hoist assembled and out of the way. I also pulled the radiator overflow tank, battery tray, side turn signal lights (rubber was cracked and shot) and carb fan.

Question: Why the need for the carb fan? Was this a 60 only thing due to the emissions crap, or something all cruisers had? I don't remember my old man's 40 having one... it was an F engine though.

Wife is out of town with the camera, I will post pics on the next update.

Last edited:
Nice thread, keep posting pics. Just did my rear frame, used new C-profile and made totally new frame, little more than half meters, about 2 feet. And the rearmost crossmemer.

Got an hour yesterday on the 60.

I drained the radiator and removed the radiator, fan shroud, hood latch and radiator hoses. The petcock "knob" on the radiator was broken, still sealed though.

I removed the side vents on the front fendors as well. I broke one of the plastic "studs" with the metal expanding clip on each side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom