CORN Taco (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just finished installing some upgrades to my 2005 Tacoma - Mainly a Flex Fuel Converter to run it on Ethanol.

So far I've run a Half a tank, and haven't noticed ANY difference, If anything it runs better than it did. E-85 is running $2.39 a gallon, almost a dollar Cheaper than Midgrade here in Denver.

I also installed a Toy-tec 3 inch lift - front OME Spring coilovers, and rear Alcan Add a Leafs with longer Pro Comp shocks.

Picture028.jpg

Picture026.jpg

Picture027.jpg

Last edited:
More info on the Flex Fuel Converter please!

Here's the link.

It only works on Fuel injected Vehicles. It is Relatively easy to install. It just connects to your Fuel injector relays and the negative side of the battery. It took me a While to install because the Injectors on my Tacoma are buried under the Air intake system.

http://www.fullflexint.com/index.html

I have an '01 DBL cab Taco and considered running E85 since it is $.55/gal cheaper than 87 octane.

I am wondering if the paybacks are sufficent enough to justify the $400 cost. It would take me 50 tanks of fuel or 15K miles to break even - what if any harm am i doing to the engine?:confused:

I have 125K, I am the original owner and want to drive this truck to the 300K mark!

ANY imput would be appreciated!

NICE 05 Taco BTW!!

Unfortunately when you consider the reduction in Gas Mileage, The Ethanol is not much cheaper.

Right now in the Corn Taco, im getting 13 MPG's off of the E-85 so its about the same price to run it (I used to get around 16mpg's w. gas).

Reg Gas here - $2.77/gal
E-85 - $ 2.27/gal

I wasn'r really looking to save money, I did it because i was tired of being dependent on oil from the middle east.

I bet i have 5-6000 miles on my Truck running Ethanol, and have had zero side effects or difference in the trucks performance.

I can't think of any long term effects that would do anything to the vehicle.

The Fuel lines corroding thing is a myth IMO. They have been putting Ethanol in Gas for 20 years, and the fuel lines are designed for it.

I hear ya! we want OPTIONS!

Living in the corn belt, I'd like to have the option to use the local fuel ie: corn! and/or start importing diesel Tacomas that can run on bio-fuels, waste cooking oil, etc.

We need more refinaries & more drilling here in the USA and less whining THEN we could be less dependent on over seas oil too!:mad:

Now my rant is done! Thanks agin for the info.
:beer:

Hey - nice rig! We're nearly twins - less a few accessory differences.

Was there no other conversion necessary to run E85? I was under the (unresearched) premise that you had to update hoses and other engine components to safely run the E85.

No man,

that was it, you just plug the truck's fuel Injector clips into the receiver wires of the Flex Fuel unit, and plug the output conncetors into the engine (where the injector clips were) connect the unit to ground side of the battery and you're done.

The trick on the Tacoma is that the Injectors are down under the Throttle body. You have to take the entire air intake and throttle body off of the top of the engine. It was nerve racking for me because the truck is way too technologically advanced for my feeble mechanic skills. - But I did it.:eek:

Jacket - post a pick - I have since added Yakima Basket so it looks a little different now.

Good info thanks. Yea - this truck scares me a bit - too many electronic components that I don't really understand.....but so far it's been great.

Here's a pic from a couple weeks ago up near Estes Park

IMG_1424.jpg

Bad ass! -

Do you have that lifted?
What tire size are you running?

and where did you get those sliders!

Thanks! I've got OME all around (with an Alcan AAL), so about 2.5" of lift - all from Toytec. Sliders are the Demello bolt-ons - very stout. They get used A LOT with the LWB.

Tires are 285/75 (33") KO's on 4.5" BS American Racing rims. No rubbing on the control arms, but I do get a bit of rubbing on the fenders and the ARB when I'm stuffed (and turned up front).

What else do you have planned for your Tacoma? I'm thinking about staying where I'm at for a while - I want to save up and try and get a 40 or a 60 in the next year or two (which is why I started lurking here....).

Ideally I would like to -

- Add another Basket over the Camper shell so i have more cargo space when i have my Dogs in the bed.

- Sliders (the Nerf Bars i originally bought are already dented pretty good)

- Some day a custom Gas tank to give it a little more range, With the Ethanol it decreased how far i can get on a tank quite a bit. I plan to put the spare tire on a swing-out on the back bumper. here's a shot of the Custom Back Bumper i put on it.

IMG_0453.jpg

I have the same problem as you though, but I already have my 60!:cool:

can you still run normal gas after the conversion or just strictly E-85?

can you still run normal gas after the conversion or just strictly E-85?

No it's full flex, so you can run any combination of Gas and Ethanol.

I just got back from a Moab trip where i ran Gas the whole time due to lack of e-85 down there.

No it's full flex, so you can run any combination of Gas and Ethanol.

I just got back from a Moab trip where i ran Gas the whole time due to lack of e-85 down there.

thats cool i was just wondering. its not something i will do anytime soon, since im in the southeast and there is jack for E-85 down here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom