Out of hibernation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2 q's re this thread

Hope you don't mind a few q's:

1) You mentioned the 4runner calipers. What motivated you to change to 4runner brakes? Are they better?

2) What'd you use to degrease with before painting?

Thanks.

1) You mentioned the 4runner calipers. What motivated you to change to 4runner brakes? Are they better?

Yes they are, and You can get a Set for pretty Cheap. Check the FJ60 FAQ above to get the thread about it. It's a very popular mod, and super easy as the 4runner calipers Bolt right up.

What'd you use to degrease with before painting?

I used Engine Brite degreaser, and recently I've been using CRC engine degreaser. Its much easier to control where it goes. I use various wire brushes that i got from the paint section of Home depot, and wire brush wheels that fit in a Cordless drill. Once its completley clean, wipe it with brake cleaner and a red rag, then I've been using Rustoleum - High Performance Enamel (Flat Black) got it a Home depot as well.

nice work!
where did you get the replacement brake lines for the front?

Hey thanks man, sorry i didn't respond sooner, I got em from Man-a-Fre. Comes with four lines - 2 for the knuckles and one coming down to each Axle.

Your body work guy did a good job and a very fair price. I need someone here in seattle to do the same thing

I found him on Craigslist - good luck!

Bought a blackout grill from Justin in Evergreen (beatdown83FJ60)

Just put it on and it looks Great!

Thanks Justin! Hope you get a new and better rig up and running soon!

Picture030.jpg

Picture031.jpg

Got to get rid of that "Custom" Bumper.:)

Last edited:
Today Im going to continue with my Quest to De-Chrome.

Mirrors are first, then I will tackle the window trim. I think I will try the painting technique. So it's off to Home Depot for some more paint and lots of sandpaper.

I ditched the Chrome mirrors today, and the base window trim.

DOn't know how much I like the new Mirrors, they are the aftermarkets from Man-a-fre. they are pretty Cheap looking.

You definatley get what you pay for.

I think I will eventually get the 62 style in Black.

Edit That - Maybe the Aussie Style.

Last edited:
Some results of the De-Chroming quest -

Picture035.jpg

Lame mirror -
Picture037.jpg

Picture036.jpg

Picture with the new 62 non rusty tailgate

Man that looks real nice.

If you are interested in selling the mirrors shot me a PM with price. thanks.

Got my new Shackles done today -
IMG_0286.jpg

IMG_0296.jpg

If you look at the rear driver side you'll see that the bolt that is supposed to keep it from inverting is missing. That's because as I was trying to get it tightened it sheared. The peice that broke off hit the inner fender - HARD. I am probably lucky i didn't get hit by a sharp peice of metal. :eek: I did call SOR and they are sending a Replacement, no charge.

Looks real nice and clean man. What colour are you thinking of painting it. I'm kinda partial to Blue or White, they just look badass.

-Kiel-

Looks real nice and clean man. What colour are you thinking of painting it. I'm kinda partial to Blue or White, they just look badass.

Im keepin it Tan, It's my favorite! AND no need to do the door jambs or the engine bay

I just finished cleaning up and painting the rear axle similar to the front. It wasn't as hard as the front. It was cleaner, and there's less in the way.

I think the next mini project will be the T-case seals as they both look like they are leaking. I will also clean up and paint the Drive shafts when i do the T-case. This is good prectice for when I get done underneath the truck, and move on to the engine bay.

IMG_0448.jpg

IMG_0451.jpg

IMG_0450.jpg

Looking good. What's the plan for the exhaust?

You like my sawzall hack job?

I cut it off because it was rusted through and in the way. I'll probably replace it from the catalytic onverter back eventually, Im hoping that the cat is ok,

I cant beleive it's been a month since I've posted on the thread.

Summer is so dang busy - too much fun stuff to do!

I got this work done partially two fridays ago and then wrapped up last Friday.

And Im still only done with the Back third.

I pulled the Rear Third, Rear Axles, the Drive Shaft, and the T-Case rear output seal.

My new 4.11 Thirds were the Wrong Flange, So I had to Drill the original bolt pattern into the new flange
heres a photo, and here's the link to my other thread on the Thirds replacement -

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=166769&highlight=Thirds

IMG_0597.jpg

Here's a Shot after I pulled the old Third -

IMG_0603.jpg

The toughtes part was getting the old Gasket off the back of the axle housing, I had to put a wire brush on my Grinder and crawl under there.

While i had it apart i Replaced the U-joints in the Axle -
IMG_0612.jpg

Here is the DS ready to go back on the truck -
IMG_0610.jpg

It was Cool to me how easy the the Spider gears were to take out and put back in. I was initially a little worried that it would be over my head, but it was completely self explanatory to take out and put back.

IMG_0598.jpg

IMG_0614.jpg

Next is the Front third, then on to the Rear Drum Brakes.

Last edited:
Everything is so cleannn

Everything is so cleannn

You haven't seen my Engine Bay - ;)

All in due time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom