Air Horn Kit for OBA?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here's the setup I had in my van

7chimelocohorn3.JPG

trainwrackupdate2.JPG

Yes, you can use it for onboard air, but don't plan on running any heavy air tools with it...

And Jap's right, those aren't REAL train horns....

There's a big difference between the Omega chrome horns and authentic locomotive horns like Nathan and Leslie

Personally, I think that's expensive for what it is. I'm in the process of building my own OBA system using a YORK. It'll cost about the same as these "kits", but it will be a bit more robust.

Thanks for the input, maybe I'll hold off and go the other route I was planning, especially if it won't be near as good as a real train horn.

98 snake eater - Holy Crap!! That is a serious air horn set-up! I would probably get into trouble with something like that! How loud is it? (db)?

98 snake eater - Holy Crap!! That is a serious air horn set-up! I would probably get into trouble with something like that! How loud is it? (db)?

Well, there's a big misconception on how train horns are measured in terms of db's :shotts:

My K3HA's are actually rated from Nathan to hit about 142db, but they're like 10 times louder than the "152db" Omega chrome horns found on FleaBay :eek:

It's not sumthin you would notice if standing nearby because either horn will deafen you up close :doh:

The real difference is in the way the sound carries over a long distance :cool:

Under the right conditions, my K3's can be heard for miles!!

Just to give you an idea of how loud these things really are, here's a little shop test video I put together before installing the K3's on my Previa:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4979107809374899759&q=98+SNAKE+EATER+Locomotive

Note: The test was done using only 80 psi with a 1/4" inlet....

On the van, I ran it at 150psi using a 3/4" non restricted line, so it was much louder :grinpimp:

Here's a comparison video showing the difference between the stock horn, Hornblaster HB4H horn set and the Nathan K3HA:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4322361143387718685

Here's a Switchpanel Test video showing how each horn is activated:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3696701056673817087

And a 7 Chime Tank Dump showing how long you can blast these things with only 5 gallons of air @ 150psi

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8546936678094186744

Holy mother of Pearl, that's a loud horn :eek: Although I don't want horns of this magnitude, I'd love to get a set of air horns to work with my York OBA. Might you have some source for "lesser" horns that I can purchase? Given the space constraints of an 80 with a winch bumper, you would know the physical sizes that I should be looking at.

Thanks.

Holy mother of Pearl, that's a loud horn :eek: Although I don't want horns of this magnitude, I'd love to get a set of air horns to work with my York OBA. Might you have some source for "lesser" horns that I can purchase? Given the space constraints of an 80 with a winch bumper, you would know the physical sizes that I should be looking at.

Thanks.

www.hornblasters.com

The conductor special (HB4H) is a 4 piece set made by Buell....

They're the loudest budget based air horns you can get and since they don't have a specific mounting base, you can mount them in any direction you choose (like right behind the bumper with 2 facing left and 2 facing right)

BTW, don't go by the site pricing as they're set high for a reason (you should be able to pickup an HB4H set with noid for about $100 or less)

I am in the middle of the York install currently--with an 8 gallon tank. I went with grover air horns--runs betweent 60psi and 120 psi. My pressure switch is 80/120. Grover is used on the fire engines.:)

I am in the middle of the York install currently--with an 8 gallon tank. I went with grover air horns--runs betweent 60psi and 120 psi. My pressure switch is 80/120. Grover is used on the fire engines.:)

Source of purchase?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom