1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Air Horn Kit for OBA??

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by TORTUS, Mar 4, 2007.

1. TORTUS

TORTUS

Has anyone ever used one of these kits to provide on board air? The train horn aspect would be fun, and you would have the added benefit of OBA with a Viair compressor.

Are these any good?

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=viair

Follow link and scroll down a few listings, there are multiple kits.

2. Japan4X4

Japan4X4

Unless that compressor comes up above your knee those are not train horns. They are nice looking and do have a good sound but not train horns.

3. 98 SNAKE EATER

98 SNAKE EATER

Here's the setup I had in my van

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes, you can use it for onboard air, but don't plan on running any heavy air tools with it...

And Jap's right, those aren't REAL train horns....

There's a big difference between the Omega chrome horns and authentic locomotive horns like Nathan and Leslie

4. LandCrusher'70

LandCrusher'70

Personally, I think that's expensive for what it is. I'm in the process of building my own OBA system using a YORK. It'll cost about the same as these "kits", but it will be a bit more robust.

5. TORTUS

TORTUS

Thanks for the input, maybe I'll hold off and go the other route I was planning, especially if it won't be near as good as a real train horn.

98 snake eater - Holy Crap!! That is a serious air horn set-up! I would probably get into trouble with something like that! How loud is it? (db)?

6. 98 SNAKE EATER

98 SNAKE EATER

Well, there's a big misconception on how train horns are measured in terms of db's :shotts:

My K3HA's are actually rated from Nathan to hit about 142db, but they're like 10 times louder than the "152db" Omega chrome horns found on FleaBay :eek:

It's not sumthin you would notice if standing nearby because either horn will deafen you up close :doh:

The real difference is in the way the sound carries over a long distance :cool:

Under the right conditions, my K3's can be heard for miles!!

Just to give you an idea of how loud these things really are, here's a little shop test video I put together before installing the K3's on my Previa:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4979107809374899759&q=98+SNAKE+EATER+Locomotive

Note: The test was done using only 80 psi with a 1/4" inlet....

On the van, I ran it at 150psi using a 3/4" non restricted line, so it was much louder :grinpimp:

Here's a comparison video showing the difference between the stock horn, Hornblaster HB4H horn set and the Nathan K3HA:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4322361143387718685

Here's a Switchpanel Test video showing how each horn is activated:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3696701056673817087

And a 7 Chime Tank Dump showing how long you can blast these things with only 5 gallons of air @ 150psi

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8546936678094186744

7. 98 SNAKE EATER

98 SNAKE EATER

8. alia176

alia176

Albums:
    Holy mother of Pearl, that's a loud horn :eek: Although I don't want horns of this magnitude, I'd love to get a set of air horns to work with my York OBA. Might you have some source for "lesser" horns that I can purchase? Given the space constraints of an 80 with a winch bumper, you would know the physical sizes that I should be looking at.

Thanks.

9. 98 SNAKE EATER

98 SNAKE EATER

www.hornblasters.com

The conductor special (HB4H) is a 4 piece set made by Buell....

They're the loudest budget based air horns you can get and since they don't have a specific mounting base, you can mount them in any direction you choose (like right behind the bumper with 2 facing left and 2 facing right)

BTW, don't go by the site pricing as they're set high for a reason (you should be able to pickup an HB4H set with noid for about $100 or less)

10. SR.GRINGO

SR.GRINGO

I am in the middle of the York install currently--with an 8 gallon tank. I went with grover air horns--runs betweent 60psi and 120 psi. My pressure switch is 80/120. Grover is used on the fire engines.:)

11. alia176

alia176

Albums:
    Source of purchase?