Leaking birf seals (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MDarius

I break stuff.
SILVER Star
Threads
Hey guys. I know there is a lot of FAQ and other material on this, I'm looking for another opinion. The Stealership is saying that it looks like there is grease in my front diff, indicating a leaking seal. First, I thought a leaking seal usually went the other way. Does it go both ways?? NTTAWWT! :doh:

Second, Stealership (no offense CDan) wants $800 shinolas for the job. I'm a :banana::banana: kind of guy with NO GARAGE (Utah, I have snow right now) and I always seem to screw up brake jobs. With those facts in mind, is it better to just fork over the cash, or is this something a :banana::banana: guy without a garage can get through and up his banana rating?

Thanks!

1) Takes half a banana to check for yourself whether the gear oil in the diff. looks contaminated with grease. (And yes, this is a common way for the failed seals to show themselves.)

2) Even if you don't decide to do it yourself, $800 is WAY too high. Find a good alignment/brakes type place with someone who has dealt with birf's before. I'd swear I only paid $150 to have mine done a few years ago by a competent local guy. (I think I got really lucky on that find, though.)

Curtis

What exactly are they doing for $800? Just fixing the seals? It's a lot of money for new oil seals.

I'm finishing up my axle rebuild which cost around $550 for new rotors, pads, bearings, and seals, in the carport at my apartment. But I live an San Jose where there's no snow, but some rain.

It's a pretty involved job. You need some special tools like brass drifts and seal pullers. Some people can do the job in a day. I have no idea how, It took me a week.

The moly grease in your knuckles can make you diff oil yucky soup.

You need the knowledge.

You need a good, complete set of tools.

Not having a garage this time of year can make a long, messy job mor miserable.

$800 is actually the lowest price I got here in the Denver area.

Last edited:
$800.00 for anyone to do that job correctly is not a bad price at all.

I have a garage and air tools and have done quite a few of these and it's a full days work. Add to that $450.00 or so in parts plus supplies and the going rate is more like $1200.00 for that job.

My seals gone too

My seals are bad too, and the quote I got here in Phoenix was $1,200, from a competent mechanic. :cool:

My seals are bad too, and the quote I got here in Phoenix was $1,200, from a competent mechanic. :cool:

What part of PHX do you live Bill? I am in Chandler and plan on rebuilding mine soon, just finished the rear. I have a pretty well equipped garage, maybe we can set up a wrench'n day and do this ourselves (I will be) and save some $$$. PM if interested.

Second, Stealership (no offense CDan) wants $800 shinolas for the job.

Thanks!

I'm in the same boat it's 29 degrees and snowing. I was quoted $1050.

B.

wait for good weather keep the birfs and diff serviced with oil and grease then plan on rebuilding front axle...two day job by myself, make sure you get all the tools and call cdan he will send parts to your front door.... he will have everything you need....front axle parts including all bearings and races with new rotors and 100 pads around 550.00...hardest part cleaning all the parts you tear down...make sure you go to car wash and blast both sides of the knuckle...my 2 cents

$800.00 for anyone to do that job correctly is not a bad price at all.

I have a garage and air tools and have done quite a few of these and it's a full days work. Add to that $450.00 or so in parts plus supplies and the going rate is more like $1200.00 for that job.

The most expensive part of the axle job is the labor. This is a labor-intensive, dirty job that is not rocket science.

Somebody who has done a bunch of these will still spend a almost full day to do the job properly. Figure an average hourly rate of 80-100 bucks an hour and you have damn near a thousand bucks worth of labor.

The hourly rate is the same if the guy is knitting or cleaning dirty knuckles or diagnosing a driveability issue or overhauling an automatic transmission or........

I second the "wait for warm weather" route and do it yourself or with some cruiser friends.

Get the parts together, get your friends together, jack up the trucks and go for it.

These components don't wear that quickly. Keep your diff. fluid topped off, squeeze a crap load of moly in the inspection plug and you can easily go another 50K with some mildly clicking birfs.

You will wear on them and they will damage quicker, but if this is your DD, then you can still keep truckin' another few weeks till the weather breaks.

Of course, I'm not paying the bill and I do my birfs regardless on a yearly basis.

x whatever for warm weather and do it yourself.

Thanks for the input guys.

Birf party anyone??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom