J60 Glove Box Replacement (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally getting off my a$$ to post this.

I've been working on a replacement glove box for the FJ60's for way too long. I know Wits End has discontinued his aluminum glove boxes so I thought I would see if there is any interest in a 18ga powder coated steel version.

Details of progress:
I have made a few prototypes and tested them locally on 2 other 60's (thanks to @NookShneer and @Skreddy). I would need to do some more test fitting before I would offer them for sale. From the the 2 vehicles I have tried them on there has been an issue with each. On Skreddys 87 the opening top to bottom was a bit larger than my 60 (mine was produced Sept 85). I have no idea if this was a change Toyota made sometime after mine was produced or if there is a descrepancy with the openings. Hopefully someone can enlighten me.

On Nooksheers (don't remember year) there was a large wire bundle at the back of the opening near the heater duct, again I have no idea why this was different from my cruiser. The proto box did hit the bundle some but not enough to prevent installation, I would probably reduce the depth of the box design if this was a common theme.

Fortunately I have all the tools and a large powder coat oven to fabricate these all in house, this in turn will keep the cost down.

In the meantime I would like to find a few 60 owners that would be interested in fitting these into their rigs. I would supply the finished glove box, as long as you agree to provide feedback about the installation and fitment. For your time you will get to keep the glove box if you like it of course. The only thing I ask is that those interested pay for shipping to their location.

EDIT 12/11/23
Order info:

Please message me with the following info if interested in ordering a glove box. Currently I am asking $60 for one, this price will eventually increase.

1. Glove box opening width and height.
2. Stock light hole or cutout for LED light (you will have to order your own LED light)

Thanks

View attachment 3269844
Rendered image

View attachment 3269880
Latest prototype

View attachment 3269881
Removable cover

View attachment 3269882
Earlier version installed in my cruiser

View attachment 3269883
Mock-ups
If you need a 61 to represent your product, count me in! Mines a daily, so it will get attention and usage!

i got to say, its been like over a month since i used this box to replace mine and i opened mine yesterday because i was getting a speeding ticket and had forgot i installed it. It was like finding a crisp $20 in your pocket doing laundry. What a great idea for a mod

i got to say, its been like over a month since i used this box to replace mine and i opened mine yesterday because i was getting a speeding ticket and had forgot i installed it. It was like finding a crisp $20 in your pocket doing laundry. What a great idea for a mod
Kids take note: these are the dangerous situations you can find yourself in when you start experimenting with LS swaps. Just stay away. Stick with your 2F and you’ll never, ever get a speeding ticket!

Finally switched out stock light for led lighting. Like @dbbowen said this glove box is such a great mod.

IMG_3763.jpeg

Happy Holidays!

Another batch of glove boxes are done and ready to ship to those who ordered one. For those following, this version has the cutout for the lock catch. This should help to align the lock catch with the strike plate since there are different opening heights.

Thanks again to those who have bought one.

J60 Glove Box.JPG

J60 Glove Box_063.JPG

J60 Glove Box_064.JPG

@mr2m1 is that new notch laser cut before bending? I’d like to modify my early one like this … dremel and a steady hand? A little dab of paint on the cut edges to keep corrosion at bay?

Woot woot! I’m ready toss them in boxes let’s goooo
I sent you a PM, I need your shipping info.
They look great.
Thank you.
mr2m1 is that new notch laser cut before bending? I’d like to modify my early one like this … dremel and a steady hand? A little dab of paint on the cut edges to keep corrosion at bay?
It is CNC cut before bending. I can send you a new updated version if you just pay the shipping.

If anyone is interested I just got done with another batch of glove boxes and made 2 extra. These are for a 12.75" opening, one is for an aftermarket LED the other has a 33mm hole for a stock light. I'm selling these for $80 plus shipping.

IMG_6518.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom