Accidentally added a quart of coolant to transmission. What should I do next? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Was doing a check of all fluids and noticed my transmission fluid was low so I grabbed a jug with red fluid in it and added a quart. Then noticed it was 50/50 Toyota red! Fack me.
What should I do next. Haven’t driven it yet.

I would try to siphon off the top back through the dipstick. Have no clue but imagine it may be on top though the water adds another element. So follow with a drain of the pan but I don’t think that new fluid will have gotten through the system.

So probably several drain fill sessions ahead to try and replace the entire volume. 16Qt I believe to flush majority by drain fill method.

Other option is tow to place that will do a fluid exchange with a bg machine.

Open the drain on the trans. and leave it open for a while. Coolant is heavier than oil so it should pool in the trans pan pretty well.

After that initial drain there shouldn't be much of the coolant left in the system. You can decide how far you want to go to clean things out from there but it may be ok to drive after the initial drain/refill. Of course you can do the drain/refill every weekend for a month or so after to be safe, if you want to.

I'd consider:
  • after initial drain put the plug back on the trans, fill with trans fluid then drain it again as that may help flush out some coolant that didn't drain the first time
  • you could also drop the pan to make sure it's not holding a puddle in a corner/etc.
  • re-fill, crank/run shortly then drain/refill the trans. pan then repeat a few times after driving it further
  • if I was worried I may do an active trans flush after that using the lines on the trans cooler near the radiator
I wouldn't take it in for a machine flush personally, that may create a problem where there really isn't one. On my 80 I drain the trans pan and refill with trans fluid annually which takes about 1 gallon. This at least is a pretty easy process so if you aren't that worried it may be sufficient.

Was doing a check of all fluids and noticed my transmission fluid was low so I grabbed a jug with red fluid in it and added a quart. Then noticed it was 50/50 Toyota red! Fack me.
What should I do next. Haven’t driven it yet.
Drain it all and pull off every hose so it doesn't end up in the cooler or radiator.

Has the engine been running?
If so then the pump has been running and it's already in the torque converter and throughout.

Drain it all and make sure you get about the right amount of coolant as it separates.

Then refill it, drive it and drain and flush it again. It may cost you $200 in transmission fluid, but better than causing a rebuild.

I would do complete flushes a couple times.

If it's been run then like @BILT4ME says, the damage is already done in terms of fluid/system contamination (likely not actual trans. damage if you didn't drive it far). If it hasn't been run you have much less flushing work to do in my opinion.

I have not ran it. Just added a quart of coolant then went to bed. Woke up and realized what I’d done. Looks like I’m uber-ing to work then to the dealer for transmission fluid.

Looks like atf is on sale at the dealer for $8/quart. Gonna stop there after work and grab a bunch then as @jpoole described drain the pan then refill , then drain the pan again. Calling land cruiser shop to see if they recommend towing it in for a complete flush.

??? Why risk it, just get it flushed? Money? A new tranny will cost a lot more if it doesn't work.

Take it to the cruiser shop and have them do a full fluid change per the fsm.

Take it to the cruiser shop and have them do a full fluid change per the fsm.
Just got off the phone with a shop and they said that since it was not turned on, I was instructed to drain the pan before a flush. The quart I added through the dip stick tube ran right into the pan and didn't touch the inner components, thus I was instructed to just drain the pan, then refill, then like jpool suggested drain the pan again and refill. At that point, I could then take it in for a full flush, which the shop said was not needed. :meh:

if it hasnt been run then drain it, if it has then flush it. its not going to kill anything. i have filled my trans up several times with water over the years and as long as you dont leave it like that it will be fine.

Having someone else flush the trans. is not without risk on many levels. Many of us are directly familiar with cases where powered/pressure flushes created problems in transmissions that were previously performing fine. I'm not sure if the posters recommending taking it in for a flush are aware of this or not but wanted to mention it. Given the risks and the described situation I don't think taking it to a shop is a good fit unless you are very confident in what they will do and how they will do it.

If you feel a full fluid change is necessary then you can easily do it yourself and have confidence in how it was done, etc.

flush insights:
pan drain / refill guide:

atf change writeup:

??? Why risk it, just get it flushed? Money? A new tranny will cost a lot more if it doesn't work.
Just got off the phone with a shop and they said that since it was not turned on, I was instructed to drain the pan before a flush. The quart I added through the dip stick tube ran right into the pan and didn't touch the inner components, thus I was instructed to just drain the pan, then refill, then like jpool suggested drain the pan again and refill. At that point, I could then take it in for a full flush, which the shop said was not needed. :meh:

I would pull the pan and clean it out after draining it. 1 oz of water can damage the clutches in the trans. I would not take a chance. Whatever you do, DO NOT START THE ENGINE!

Last edited:
That's what I'd do, drain and fill, maybe twice or more until no water comes out. Then start it, run it through the gears, shut it down and check the dipstick for signs of water contamination. If it's not milky, take it for a drive and check it again. If it is milky at any point, don't run it anymore and do a full flush.

Ya honest for sure. Thank you all for the quick feedback. Once again this forum is great. And I can get this done and stop uber-ing around.

now just have to decide if i want to drop the pan as well or just drain and refil...

now just have to decide if i want to drop the pan as well or just drain and refil...
Just drain and refill.

As long as you didn't start the engine.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom