What to do with my '92? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sounds like first order of business if finding a trustworthy mechanic that can give you a reliable review of the issues it has. From there you can plan the path forward including doing some work yourself, hiring it out, etc.

Swaps can yield nice vehicles but they are a lot of work and typically require a high level of skill/experience and/or close monitoring post swap while all of the little issues are fixed, etc. In your situation where you're having trouble getting good work done a swap seems like it could just make owning the 80 a lot more complicated.

Dialing in the tune with OE parts, catching up on maintenance and potentially de-smogging it seem like they could get you a long way towards a more driveable 80 while keeping it simple and well within budget.

Last edited:
A turbo charged 3fe can and has been done.....

Thanks for the information and interest.

I sure would prefer a stronger engine. I would also prefer old school manually operated 4WD. In California, I thought if you change the engine you automatically fail smog. I was under the impression that there serious reengineering issues with changing the engine on this vehicle? Am I missing something?

The engine on my 1970 was swapped decades ago with a Chevy 230. IT has been nothing but problems. Apples and oranges for sure. But I am not interested in a new full time hobby of wrenching on cars. I want them to be a trouble free as possible. Thus my inclination to have the engine, transmission transfer case, and diffs inspected and rebuilt if necessary.

The whine-vibration while feathering between accelerating and accelerating at highway speed? Could that be U-joints? ........ I can swap those myself. Is is more likely worn gears in the transmission?

Since the cost of a new equivalent truck is crazy stupid, and I think they suck, I have no issue with spending $25K to make this one works as new. IT is a bargain, IMHO.
Do a correct tune up on the engine. Yes, this includes the Toyota ignition parts and doing a valve adjustment.

If you can change u-joints, you can do a valve adjustment.

Get an electronic copy of the Factory Service Manual (FSM) from @jonheld or from the RESOURCES section above.

You will wake up a tired engine with completing the above.

The tune up list with part number is wonderful. Other than the dealer, where the be best place to source all those items? This is panful, I just paid for a "tune up" . It appears they use low budget parts.

On the u-joints. I should do those too. Does anyone have a similar parts list as above? I assume I should change all of them........

This is the kind of thing I can do. I have worked as a mechainic and have lots of tools. That job was long ago. I do not have a lift or indoor space in which to work so I am limited on what can do.

Thanks,
Scot

The tune up list with part number is wonderful. Other than the dealer, where the be best place to source all those items? This is panful, I just paid for a "tune up" . It appears they use low budget parts.

On the u-joints. I should do those too. Does anyone have a similar parts list as above? I assume I should change all of them........

This is the kind of thing I can do. I have worked as a mechainic and have lots of tools. That job was long ago. I do not have a lift or indoor space in which to work so I am limited on what can do.

Thanks,
Scot
If you browse to www.partsoq.com and enter your vin, all part numbers are available to you. You can order directly from them or any Toyota dealer of choice.

Thanks,
Scot
www.partsouq.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom