RCLC 40’x40’ Pole Barn (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Avoid construction joints! Hard to move heavy objects on carts and such. A friend is putting metal siding that has insulation sandwhiched in between metal. Looks better than spray foam
Definitely not doing spray foam, more than likely will be R19 batts and liner panel. I wanted a perfectly flat floor so no drains(i’ll have to think about the construction joints) for that reason. My attached garage has a floor drain in case I need to wash anything during the winter.

Not a bad days worth of work. Almost 60*, we are going to pay for it later this week though.
ECC2D0A6-D737-47CD-B9E9-2E19C7FC3648.jpeg
5B6D2F54-CA2F-4A28-9B62-D2B7BD882FB3.jpeg
1C4D913E-AA1D-4BB9-822B-3B6E51B93AAB.jpeg
2F950A68-44C7-4565-BED9-7ED94335FCD5.jpeg
9FD2914B-D260-4C55-80B4-6CFC523486F6.jpeg

A construction joint and a control joint are two different things. They should pour a 40x40 slab in one go which means no construction joints. I highly recommend they cut control joints, one in each direction down the middle which results in 4 20x20 sections. You can come back after a few weeks and fill the control joints with Sikaflex joint sealant (or equivalent). It's a self-leveling, flexible sealant which will more or less eliminate the joint.

The most important thing to do for strong concrete with minimal cracks in my opinion, is to water cure the concrete for at least 7 days and preferably longer. You should start this process as soon as possible (like right after they cut the control joints). That is by far the best way to minimize surface cracks. There are many ways to do water curing, from setting up a sprinkler (probably not a good idea with walls up) to covering the concrete with 4 mil plastic and running a hose under the plastic once or twice a day. Another method is to cover the concrete with burlap and to keep the burlap wet.

Nice progress. Guessing they've done this once or twice. I'd be a little careful of nails around the site.
They were a well oiled machine, even with a 17 and 18yo on the crew.

My 11yo and I spent about 1/2 and hour picking up nails. Just had new shoes put on my Ram in December.

One of these if you don't already have one: 30 In. Magnetic Sweeper with Wheels - https://www.harborfreight.com/30-inch-magnetic-sweeper-with-wheels-93245.html

The other year my neighbor had his house re-roofed. Even after the roofers supposedly swept everything, I was still finding nails in my driveway with my sweeper a week later...

I have that same one. My kids like taking turns driving it through our gravel driveway seeing who can find the most junk. It always picks stuff up, no idea how so many rusty old nails are in my driveway? Bought this place 8 years ago and I use screws in everything.

That went up really fast and looks great.

I have that same one. My kids like taking turns driving it through our gravel driveway seeing who can find the most junk. It always picks stuff up, no idea how so many rusty old nails are in my driveway? Bought this place 8 years ago and I use screws in everything.

Yeah, I'm a little concerned at how much rust scale it picks up from my gravel driveway when I run it around - clearly coming off my vehicles! :oops:

Day 4- waiting on sub panel install, then concrete and overhead doors. I’ll be running wiring for the porch lights and then porch ceiling will go in next week.

They certainly aren't wasting any time!

Siding and roofing material looks great. I'm curious what products was used, also what's the roof pitch? Thanks.

Siding and roofing material looks great. I'm curious what products was used, also what's the roof pitch? Thanks.
The siding and roof are 29ga. Textured roofing, OSB behind the legacy panel siding. Main roof is 6-12 and porch is 4-12.

Ordered my lighting today.

150W, 22500lm 5%(150lm/W), 5000k, 120°, 0-10V Dimming, 5ft cord with a 120V US plug, Power adjustable: ...
I used Lithonia direct wire LED flat panel fixtures with 0-10v dimming and wired them up with 12/2 Armored cable with 16/2 signal wire bundled into the cable. I assume if you use a plug in fixture that you will run a separate signal pair to control the dimming? Just curious.

Not sure how many you ordered but FWIW I used 16 of these 15k lumen, 5000k fixtures in my 40x40. They are hanging around 15 1/2'. I don't have any shadowing.

Building is looking great and I'm impressed with how fast everything is moving.

I used Lithonia direct wire LED flat panel fixtures with 0-10v dimming and wired them up with 12/2 Armored cable with 16/2 signal wire bundled into the cable. I assume if you use a plug in fixture that you will run a separate signal pair to control the dimming? Just curious.

Not sure how many you ordered but FWIW I used 16 of these 15k lumen, 5000k fixtures in my 40x40. They are hanging around 15 1/2'. I don't have any shadowing.

Building is looking great and I'm impressed with how fast everything is moving.

I originally looked at the Hyperlites but in their layout diagram they listed the manufacturer on their lights. Quick googlefoo and Alibaba they are shipped for $41 per versus $89.

I’ll be using 8-10 for the 40x40 on a dimmer, plug in so will have to use the signal wire.

Sunco recessed in the porch soffit as well. The Sun Panel gets installed this Monday so should be able to start on the ceiling and wiring layout soon after concrete goes in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom