RCLC 40’x40’ Pole Barn (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jdc1

SILVER Star
Threads
Just came out of my Zoning Variance Appeal and got the go ahead on our shop. Originally wanted 40x30 but will store the camper inside.

Should break ground the middle of December, hopefully.

Settled on 40x40 with full length porch on 2 sides. 14’ side wall, 2-man doors, 2-12x12 over head and a 9x8 on the rear. Camper will be stored on the side opposite the porch.

Any suggestions on lift location? Thinking near the rear door.

7E5356D8-9C65-4409-9042-21C5772F13EC.jpeg

DC89E300-139F-42DF-B474-BA69AF9AD33E.jpeg

I just went through this mental battle myself for the last few months. If it were me, I would move it over to the right of the rear door. I wish I had the ability to drive through like you could there. As nice as they are, they do take up real estate really quick.

I just went through this mental battle myself for the last few months. If it were me, I would move it over to the right of the rear door. I wish I had the ability to drive through like you could there. As nice as they are, they do take up real estate really quick.

Thanks, that’s where we have been discussing its placement. Pull through will be pretty helpful, 1600 sq ft is going to seem smaller in person I think.

Any suggestions on lift location? Thinking near the rear door.

I put my 2-post asymmetric lift centered in one of the bay doors but moved towards the back of the shop (away from the bay door) , so that I will have room to have a long truck up on the lift and still be able to close the bay door if desired. Sounds like you are thinking similarly. I tried to envision how much working space I would have on every side, for tools and equipment. My shop is 30'x50', so not far off of yours.

All best wishes for your build project.

I put my 2-post asymmetric lift centered in one of the bay doors but moved towards the back of the shop (away from the bay door) , so that I will have room to have a long truck up on the lift and still be able to close the bay door if desired. Sounds like you are thinking similarly. I tried to envision how much working space I would have on every side, for tools and equipment. My shop is 30'x50', so not far off of yours.

All best wishes for your build project.
Thanks, the pad in front of my garage is 32x40. I’ve been experimenting with the floor plan. As long as I don’t jam it up with junk, I’ll be ok.

I’m on the fence about a 2 post, thinking a 4 post with the center jacks as it will be able to be moved and can fit behind the camper along the rear wall for storage. There have been some serious deals on FB locally on slightly used lifts and equipment.

The lift needs to be centered on one of those two front doors. I would go with the right one and put the posts something like 12' from the back wall (where the personnel door is located). I said 12' but you want something like 6' in front of the vehicle clear so it depends a lot on whether you go with an asymmetric or a symmetrical lift. I would go 2 post over 4 unless your main intent is to store two cars in the same space.

The lift needs to be centered on one of those two front doors. I would go with the right one and put the posts something like 12' from the back wall (where the personnel door is located). I said 12' but you want something like 6' in front of the vehicle clear so it depends a lot on whether you go with an asymmetric or a symmetrical lift. I would go 2 post over 4 unless your main intent is to store two cars in the same space.
Originally was planning a 30x40 with overhang for the camper to go under. Same amount of posts, roofing and concrete so decided to do the 40x40. Camper will be 2’ from the right wall during most of the year.

Originally was planning a 30x40 with overhang for the camper to go under. Same amount of posts, roofing and concrete so decided to do the 40x40. Camper will be 2’ from the right wall during most of the year.
Well the lift still needs to be centered on whatever door you are going to enter so I guess that's the left door. Given that you have a rear door, I'm not sure where, front to back, I would put the lift. I like having both tools and benches next to the lift so mine is oriented with the tool boxes on the wall in front of the lift and work benches down the wall closest to the lift.

I don't think you will have 30' x 40' contiguous when you back that camper in. Depends on width of camper and how tight you get it to the door when you back it in, but I'm guessing you'll have maybe 27' to the edge of the camper That effectively becomes 25x40 but with 10x15 behind the camper. Of course you can utilize the wall space adjacent to the camper for storage so that will help.

I would still want the lift on the non drive through side of the shop and consider relegating the camper to the shed; unless the shed isn't tall enough.

I don't think you will have 30' x 40' contiguous when you back that camper in. Depends on width of camper and how tight you get it to the door when you back it in, but I'm guessing you'll have maybe 27' to the edge of the camper That effectively becomes 25x40 but with 10x15 behind the camper. Of course you can utilize the wall space adjacent to the camper for storage so that will help.

I would still want the lift on the non drive through side of the shop and consider relegating the camper to the shed; unless the shed isn't tall enough.
Mainly when stored, i’ll throw it on the wheel dollys and slide in as close to the wall. This has been eating up way too much space in my brain for the last few months.

One thing you could do is take a couple pieces of cardboard, 3'x3' set them 12' center and put them on the floor where you're debating on putting it.

My mother's family is from Wilmot, Ohio and I've been to Keim frequently when I've visited out there. Quite an establishment!

Keim.jpeg

My mother's family is from Wilmot, Ohio and I've been to Keim frequently when I've visited out there. Quite an establishment!

View attachment 3567237
I haven’t been but would like to. This is the first time that I’ve seen a 20’ 2x4 that I would actually want to use for anything.

There are a few places in the area that we regularly visit when we're out there. Keim is one: Keim Home Center | Visiting Keim Lumber in Amish Country Ohio - https://www.keimlumber.com/visiting-keim-lumber

Lehman's is another: Lehman's - Products For Simple Living - https://www.lehmans.com/

And the Ashery: Ashery Country Store - Amish Grocery & Bulk Foods | Mt. Hope - https://www.asherycountrystore.com/

And Heini's Cheese Chalet: Heini's Cheese Chalet | Best of Ohio's Amish Country - https://www.bestofamishcountry.com/heini-s-cheese-chalet

Despite being near Lancaster, PA where I live (with it's Amish population), there is a different level of Amish shops out there. Lancaster has become "tourist" Amish to a large extent.

Avoid construction joints! Hard to move heavy objects on carts and such. A friend is putting metal siding that has insulation sandwhiched in between metal. Looks better than spray foam

Avoid construction joints! Hard to move heavy objects on carts and such. A friend is putting metal siding that has insulation sandwhiched in between metal. Looks better than spray foam.
There are a few places in the area that we regularly visit when we're out there. Keim is one: Keim Home Center | Visiting Keim Lumber in Amish Country Ohio - https://www.keimlumber.com/visiting-keim-lumber

Lehman's is another: Lehman's - Products For Simple Living - https://www.lehmans.com/

And the Ashery: Ashery Country Store - Amish Grocery & Bulk Foods | Mt. Hope - https://www.asherycountrystore.com/

And Heini's Cheese Chalet: Heini's Cheese Chalet | Best of Ohio's Amish Country - https://www.bestofamishcountry.com/heini-s-cheese-chalet

Despite being near Lancaster, PA where I live (with it's Amish population), there is a different level of Amish shops out there. Lancaster has become "tourist" Amish to a large extent.
I’m about an hour from Lehmans, great place to visit. I’ll have to check out the others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom