Builds 2018 Premium 460 build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The price online is no longer correct. The 4 roller runs $369.00 and the 2 roller is less but I'm unsure ($295?).

Roller fairleads are a better fairlead for synthetic line. Amsteel Blue (HMWPE) starts to melt @ 150 degrees, Cortland Rope (HMPE) starts to melt @ 185 degrees. A Hawse fairlead sitting out in the hot sun can easily have a surface temp of 100 degrees.

Stick your 6500 lbs overland GX in a hole, one tire buried, climbing out of a 4, 5, 6, degree climb and your stuck assessment weight can easily reach 9000 lbs +. Most vehicles our size run a 10k winch. Vehicle and equipment sympathy should be considered as you are close to maximum capacity.

I would rig up a double line pull to lower the over all load on the recovery equipment. lower amp draw, and longer duty cycle on the winch during operation.

The line speed of the recovery is reduced using a double line pull, pulling a heavy load over a Hawse fairlead will melt rope. It may not part the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd time but it will and more than likely at the worst moment.
Interesting. I guess I have only ever seen roller fairleads with steel cable and Hawse/smooth fairleads with synthetic line and never considered this. Do you think this is purely a cost decision or is there a maintenance advantage with smooth fairleads for those of us who won't be winching often?

Interesting. I guess I have only ever seen roller fairleads with steel cable and Hawse/smooth fairleads with synthetic line and never considered this. Do you think this is purely a cost decision or is there a maintenance advantage with smooth fairleads for those of us who won't be winching often?
The advantage is protecting your synthetic line from heat damage. Hawse (smooth) fairleads were first used by companies when folks started to use synthetic line. It was thought that synthetic line would get damaged in rollers at dramatic winch angles. This has not been the case. I personally have used synthetic line with standard roller fairlead for 10 + years as have many other trainers from the I4WDTA. I do believe that their is a cost decision when comparing a hawse to a roller, the roller has more components and is harder to manufacture. The Hawes is simple and cheap. That being stated the winch/rope manufactures have an opportunity to sell you a new rope down the line when you burn/melt your existing line.

Interview we did with Waypoint Overland TV.

So, which one are you, Mike or Will??
Really wish you had some courses down here in So. Cal. We have the terrain and everything for it.
Maybe you could open a shop down here??? 🤞
All my recovery training is personal experience and what I look up. My medical training is mostly from Army (CLS).
But these are perishable skills that need to be reinforced every year or two. I know I need that training on a regular basis.

Last edited:
So, which one are you, Mike or Will??
Really wish you had some courses down here in So. Cal. We have the terrain and everything for it.
Maybe you could open a shop down here??? 🤞
All my recovery training is personal experience and what I look up. My medical training is mostly from Army (CLS).
But these are perishable skills that need to be reinforced every year or two. I know I need that training on a regular basis.
I am Mike.

Plenty of I4WDTA certified trainers down there. Check out Nena Barlow. Holds a bunch of classes through out the year In So Cal and AZ.

Reactions: r2m
Nice to put a face to all the great posts!

GREAT Build! Spent the last few nights reading it all. So many killer ideas. How i wish I had the fabrication skills and tools to do it. Much appreciated.

New project! When I installed my Kaon shelf I lost the room for our dog kennel. Our dog is getting old and doesn't move around well and Stacey wasn't to keen on camping with her anymore, she is Grandma Puppy, snores, farts, sleeps and eats!

We will be getting one of these in 4-5 weeks.

They are Greater Swiss Mountain Dogs. This will be our 3rd. Hoping Grandma Puppy is around to teach them the yard is for doing there business.

puppies 1.jpg
puppies 2.jpg

The project is a fridge divider/kennel. The divider will stay installed full time to keep items from falling behind the fridge when open. I will have a quick install for the front panel to box the area in, to turn it into a kennel when needed.

Using two Grey Man Tactical MOLLE panels 30.25 X 17 RMPX™ - https://greymantactical.com/collections/shoprmpxseries/products/30-25x17rmpx , two 4"x1" x 1/8" and two 3"x1"x 1/8" 6063T6 L extrusion. Today I located and drilled up the divider to the Kaon shelf and Truckvault.

MOLLE 1.jpg
MOLLE 2.jpg
Molle 3.jpg

New project! When I installed my Kaon shelf I lost the room for our dog kennel. Our dog is getting old and doesn't move around well and Stacey wasn't to keen on camping with her anymore, she is Grandma Puppy, snores, farts, sleeps and eats!

We will be getting one of these in 4-5 weeks.

They are Greater Swiss Mountain Dogs. This will be our 3rd. Hoping Grandma Puppy is around to teach them the yard is for doing there business.

View attachment 3083504View attachment 3083505

The project is a fridge divider/kennel. The divider will stay installed full time to keep items from falling behind the fridge when open. I will have a quick install for the front panel to box the area in, to turn it into a kennel when needed.

Using two Grey Man Tactical MOLLE panels 30.25 X 17 RMPX™ - https://greymantactical.com/collections/shoprmpxseries/products/30-25x17rmpx , two 4"x1" x 1/8" and two 3"x1"x 1/8" 6063T6 L extrusion. Today I located and drilled up the divider to the Kaon shelf and Truckvault.

View attachment 3083509View attachment 3083510View attachment 3083511
Great idea using a MOLLE rack for the divider. Ability to still see through it and you can mount any gear that you want to keep from rolling around on the rear deck.
👍

Great idea using a MOLLE rack for the divider. Ability to still see through it and you can mount any gear that you want to keep from rolling around on the rear deck.
👍
I have 2 of the Element fire extinguishers in the truck but I think I'm going to put my 7 lbs. bottle back in on the MOLLE panel.

Received my fridge/divider parts from powder coat. Installed the divider today for my up coming trip to Colorado. I need to purchase some more fasteners for the forward portion.

I will only install and use the forward section when we haul the pup. The Truckvault will still be my primary sleep surface when traveling solo.

k1.jpg
k2.jpg
k3.jpg
k4.jpg
k5.jpg

Last edited:
That looks AWESOME!
Great job! 👍

Been a busy summer of training. We took the month of August off to enjoy summer a bit. I went to Colorado to see my daughter, camp and wheel.

September arrived and we returned to training in the PNW! Here are few pictures from our end of summer drivers course. We rent a private OHV park and have the run of the place!

gd1.jpg
gd2.jpg
gd3.jpg
gd4.jpg
gd5.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom