gx 460 market coming down (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In a typical market one might assume that a redesign of a model would drive down prices of leftover units, but being as the redesign is very new tech for Lexus idk what that does for buyer confidence. Join the Lexus owners website, and when you find vehicles you like you can enter the vin and find all the work that has been done at Lexus. I got very spoiled shopping for our GX470 this way!

There are people who can afford to make the payments, then there are people who can afford to own them. The people who can afford to "own" them follow the service intervals, and take care of them regardless of how long they plan to keep them. Both our GX470 and then the GX460 had been dealer maintained and the owners followed the service intervals to a T.

They have definitely been dropping which is why I finally pulled the trigger a couple weeks ago. Got a 2016 luxury in great condition with 100k for $26k. One owner, dealer maintained, etc. When looking at 6-8 year old rigs though condition makes a huge difference on price. I looked at several that had pretty bad sun damage from being outside all the time, torn up interior, banged up exterior etc. I'm super picky so it took me months to find the one I wanted and also without the light colored interior which pretty much looked terrible on all the ones I saw.

I paid $17,500 for my 2010 with 145k in November 2023. It was in pretty good shape, but had some goofy mods I am currently undoing. It had an extensive Lexus dealer maintenance list. Every oil change had been done at a dealer: and it had 5 owners before me.

Prices have come down a lot in the last few months following GX 460 Marketplace FB group. No one knows what tomorrow is going to bring in pricing or anything else for that matter. Much like buying a new computer jump in at some point and if now is that point so be it. Not likely you are going to lose much if you keep it long enough.

Any vehicle low miles means something. Not what it was in the 70's where 50K was a lot of miles but the GX 460 at ~100K+ has had its share of valley plate leaks and timing chain cover leaks. And as already mentioned transmission issues. My 2013 Taco had 90K on it and at 11 years old some things were starting to crop up. Replaced suspension, AC and heater which is going to happen on pretty much any vehicle at 10 years or 100K. Mechanically it was sound but it was time. Especially from a risk assessment standpoint. If you are always where there is cell phone reception not a big deal. If you run solo in the bush outside of cell phone reception it can be a huge issue even life or death in the winter.

When I bought my 19 in November I took a week after test driving it to decide to buy it. Vetted it hard including researching the history and going back to check it out a second time. It was a 4 year lease traded in a Toyota a couple of months early.

Using the VIN was able to determine with mylexus website that it was maintained in Wayzata, Mn. in the summer and Texas in the winter. Therefore was owned by older snowbirds and all scheduled maintenance was performed according to the history. The home address on the GPS was in Texas, I took a picture of it with my phone and looked it up, it is a retirement community for 55 and older. Not that there's anything wrong with 55 and older or even 65 and older in my case LOL. The hitch receiver was clean so it was never used to tow. If it had been would have been a hard pass who knows if he towed in OD or not. Climbed under it and inspect the frame, no rust on the underside which would also have been a show stopper as well. So it hadn't seen road salt.

The sticker was in the glove box it was a Luxury fully optioned which is what it took for me to buy a GX. Despite being #2 on the list for the new 250 LC I've been on it since August when it was announced. But had a heads up on the 250 because I pulled the owner of the largest Toyota dealer in Northern Mn. out of the woods a couple of years ago when he was where he shouldn't have been.

It was $72.5K new a Luxury that was fully optioned. I got it for $40K all in almost half of what it was new with 40K on it. Sold my 11 year Tacoma after I bought the GX for 2/3 of what I paid for it new. The GX is one hell of a bargain in my book and does not incur the "Toyota Tax". They are not bulletproof but no vehicle is, and so far I consider at the top of the pile.
With all due respect, I don't agree with GX's usually having had "...its share of valley plate leaks and timing chain cover leaks." I'm at 112,000 on the clock and have not had to do any of that. Albeit, I have had to replace the radiator, but there has been nothing else other than regular maintenance.
Bought mine in 2018 with 38,000 miles on it. It too was a premium in mint condition previously own by a small Korean mother. (If you want to know how I deduced that, go to the first post of my build thread ;) Builds - R²M 2013 GX 460 Overland Build - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/r-m-2013-gx-460-overland-build.1104719/ )
Now I know that I'm not that deep into mileage for the age, but I believe the valley plate and timing chain cover leaks are not that common, just that we hear about them more on a forum from owners needing to know how to fix them.

Regarding your purchase, boy, it sure sounds like you got a peach of a GX! I guess all your background work paid off! More folks should follow your lead when purchasing a used vehicle. It helped in my purchase and my wife and have nothing but praise for our GX!

Last edited:
In a typical market one might assume that a redesign of a model would drive down prices of leftover units, but being as the redesign is very new tech for Lexus idk what that does for buyer confidence. Join the Lexus owners website, and when you find vehicles you like you can enter the vin and find all the work that has been done at Lexus. I got very spoiled shopping for our GX470 this way!

There are people who can afford to make the payments, then there are people who can afford to own them. The people who can afford to "own" them follow the service intervals, and take care of them regardless of how long they plan to keep them. Both our GX470 and then the GX460 had been dealer maintained and the owners followed the service intervals to a T.
I think prices may hold for the 460 just because of the V8. There's a lot of old-school people out there that are still holding their vote on EV's, hybrids and smaller engines spun up on turbos.

Last edited:
You have to also take into the account that the majority of those likely looking to upgrade are not enthusiasts like us. If the used market is any indication, my theory is that the people of new GX customers are coming out of their 460s/470's just 'cause. They aren't the type to obsess like us over maintenance and service issues...they go to the dealer and pay what the repair estimate says.

I don't believe the private party or dealer resale valuations are based at all on the secondhand market really wanting the V8 or care about the GX's heritage. Just my $0.000000002 pesos.

Reactions: r2m
With all due respect, I don't agree with GX's usually having had "...ts share of valley plate leaks and timing chain cover leaks." I'm at 112,000 on the clock and have not had to do any of that. Albeit, I have had to replace the radiator, but there has been nothing else other than regular maintenance.
Bought mine in 2018 with 38,000 miles on it. It too was a premium in mint condition previously own by a small Korean mother. (If you want to know how I deduced that, go to the first post of my build thread ;) Builds - R²M 2013 GX 460 Overland Build - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/r-m-2013-gx-460-overland-build.1104719/ )
Now I know that I'm not that deep into mileage for the age, but I believe the valley plate and timing chain cover leaks are not that common, just that we hear about them more on a forum from owners needing to know how to fix them.

Regarding your purchase, boy, it sure sounds like you got a peach of a GX! I guess all your background work paid off! More folks should follow your lead when purchasing a used vehicle. It helped in my purchase and my wife and have nothing but praise for our GX!

Ruh Roh, don't you know to never poke that sleeping bear! ;)

ih8mud is a shell of what it once was and doesn't get the traffic it used to, as are most Bulletin Boards. Which to me is a shame I much prefer them for Knowledge Management. Not a fan of Facebook but many BB have moved to Facebook Groups. Including some that I have been on since they were Usenet newsgroups and email only. Couldn't even use pictures LOL.

I'm a member of several FB GX groups and at least once a day someone is posting about a leak be it radiator, valley plate or water pump. They can start at 70k-80K miles but normally 100k - 120k. But there are always those that show up and say they have 170k or a bit more with never a problem. You take your chances, but good chance it is going to happen at some point. 100k is an average starting point it appears.

After reading enough I tend to agree with this that has been posted several times:
wait until one of the three leak (water pump, radiator, valley plate) then go ahead and do all three if you’d like as preventative because eventually all 3 are going to leak at some point. Coolant leaks are tricky because your radiator may be leaking but not your coolant plate or water pump, then you replace the radiator only and the cooling system is able to build pressure again when the coolant is hot but then the next weakest part starts to leak since there is pressure in the system again. As long as your in there working on it replace radiator, water pump, idler pulley, pulley tensioner, serpentine belt, hoses, clamps, and thermostat.

Hopefully I can make it to 100k without any issues. That should be in 5-6 years and at that point I can make a decision. If I keep it past then I will do all of the above and it should take me to the end of my life. If my EOL is that long, Lord willing. If I decide to move to a lightly used GX550 at that point then I will let the next person worry about it.

I sold my 100 series and purchased a 2018 460 base with 59k miles for 28k. It was a 2 owner but pretty clean. A few fit and finish issues with all the plastic bumpers but I think are pretty easily repairable. Overall I’m pleased with it. I miss a few options the LC had like the rear air and rear vented windows.

View attachment 3571342
This looks like a stock set up (no lift) if so can you tell me the tire and wheel specs? including rim width and offset? Any rubbing?
thanks so much for your reply dude!

Pulled the trigger and bought a 2019, two-owner Lexus certified from a local dealership, Claret Mica over Black. KMC Wheels, Cooper Tires, victory roof rack, off road package full length gas tank slider are up first! Thanks everyone for your input.

IMG_1155.jpg

Pulled the trigger and bought a 2019, two-owner Lexus certified from a local dealership, Claret Mica over Black. KMC Wheels, Cooper Tires, victory roof rack, off road package full length gas tank slider are up first! Thanks everyone for your input.

View attachment 3581201
Love that color. It was that or Nightfall (dark blue) for me.

View attachment 3581201
Love that color.

View attachment 3581201

Congratulations! Whenever works sends me to the Hospital\Clinics we have down there I go through the Superstition Mountains on the Apache Trail. In a rental car LOL, usually have to pay an extra cleaning fee on returning it. The Trail has changed a lot since I first ran it a long time ago and is pretty tame now compared to what it used to be. Still always a good time.

Congratulations! Whenever works sends me to the Hospital\Clinics we have down there I go through the Superstition Mountains on the Apache Trail. In a rental car LOL, usually have to pay an extra cleaning fee on returning it. The Trail has changed a lot since I first ran it a long time ago and is pretty tame now compared to what it used to be. Still always a good time.
It's changed A LOT since the last time you ran it! ;p Closed halfway due to washout. Ends a bit past Tortilla Flat headed NE, and at Apache Lake headed SW from Lake Roosevelt. ADOT talking about fixing it, but it's been 2+ years of closure already, maybe more.

View attachment 3581201
Love the color! My RX is that color.

This looks like a stock set up (no lift) if so can you tell me the tire and wheel specs? including rim width and offset? Any rubbing?
thanks so much for your reply dude!
Sorry haven’t been on here in a while. The tires are 265 70 17. A little rub when turning on the plastic liner. I took a heat gun and formed it back inside the fender well just a hair. No real rubbing now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom