gx 460 market coming down (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone, after nearly a decade in land cruisers, I am considering a 2016-2019 gx 460. I understand that the GX 550's are shipping soon. My hypothesis is that the used gx 460 market will start diving down here pretty soon. My goal is to pick up a one-owner example under 100,000 miles with good maintenance records. The ones that are in my area are low to mids 33's. My hope is to stay under 29k and buy in the next few months.

From those who have bought and have experience with this platform, do you think my target price is reasonable?

This is my current rig, 267,000 miles and very trail worthy, just looking for something with a little more creature comfort and safety as the family is expanding.

IMG_0706.jpg

I would think that for those years and mileage that mid-20's is a more reasonable price point nowadays, but you'd have to see what is available in your area.
Have you been in a GX? You may find them lacking in space especially being used to a LC and your family expanding.

Thanks for the reply! Yes, my buddy with 2 kids 2 dogs, and a wife has one. So, while I'll miss some cargo room, I think it'll still work for my needs. Honestly, if I could get into a 200 series for what I want to pay I might accept more miles, but I do think the GX is a good fit for this chapter of my life.

I know the prices have dropped a touch around me, but compared to every other toyota 4wd was and still is a relative bargain in Central Iowa. I would not expect them to drop any more relative to other platforms for a year or two, when the new ones are available at or below MSRP.

The supply situation is going to be terrible for a long while for the new LCs and GXs if Toyota's current situation continues - the dealership lot is still barren with some used 4Rs and a handful of RAV4s and Camrys near me and has been the past several years. I think there are a lot of people who also put value in a trusted and tried platform over the new tech-laden and turbo-endowed trucks.

Don't get me wrong the new GX is gonna be awesome but as an example the Sequoia I bought in 2021 as the last of the dumb old V8 version is worth about $5K less than I paid for it assuming average 40K miles. The new one is even more expensive and more importantly unobtanium--I have seen literally one single new Sequoia on the road in an area where I see dozens of older ones driving around.

I think prices are going to remain fairly strong for the next 2-3 years at least, but they are still good deals and your budget is more than reasonable to get something good.

I still don't understand why people pay a premium for "low miles" on these.
Agree it's more about the maintenance habits and owner behavior. But if you are planning to get something for the long haul, why not try to find a mall crawler off lease that has been dealer-maintained throughout its life right?

Thanks for the reply! Yes, my buddy with 2 kids 2 dogs, and a wife has one. So, while I'll miss some cargo room, I think it'll still work for my needs. Honestly, if I could get into a 200 series for what I want to pay I might accept more miles, but I do think the GX is a good fit for this chapter of my life.
You can gain some room in the cargo area by removing the third row seats.

cool post :clap:

who would argue with this logic? again, looking for a one owner, well mainted example under 100,000 miles.... not under 20,000 miles.

Car gurus shows 2016-2019 under 100k miles starting at 23k nationwide, but you're right, 33k in the Southwest. I flew to AL to pick up mine. Not sure if you're willing to fly and drive, but there are some deals to be had if you are.

Yup, those prices look fair. If your area looks different you could broaden your search and have it shipped to you. A buddy of mine bought his car from a dealership 300 miles away and they drove it to him, and drove back his trade-in. Might have been cause of the trade-in they did it but you have options.

They are also in the ~$30K-ish bracket here in the Midwest. It's a lot of rig for the money.

Regarding buying one with low miles, for a 460 the benefits would be getting one where the trans fluid isn't yet over-cooked and the leather/interior is still in decent shape. With the lack of a scheduled trans fluid change on these and a cooler, there have been a somewhat disconcerting number of trans problems and failures reported on this forum.

I sold my 100 series and purchased a 2018 460 base with 59k miles for 28k. It was a 2 owner but pretty clean. A few fit and finish issues with all the plastic bumpers but I think are pretty easily repairable. Overall I’m pleased with it. I miss a few options the LC had like the rear air and rear vented windows.

IMG_0565.jpeg

Hi Everyone, after nearly a decade in land cruisers, I am considering a 2016-2019 gx 460.
Ha-ha-ha! In almost every other part of the world except North America, the GX IS a Landcruiser! So you'll just be going into a slightly smaller Landcruiser "Prado".
Seriously, my wife and I have both had our own 100 series LC's (both were 1998's) and our GX is SO much better in almost every way than the 100 hundy's. Yes the is a wee bit less room, but if you do off roading and trails, you'll find it more maneuverable the the larger.
Also, there is a great GX community now so whatever you need or want to do, there is plenty of help and info.

Regarding the mileage and price range, try using Carguru.com https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...00&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d2063

What I like about them is they also show how good of a "deal" it is.

this is very helpful, thank you

After almost 3 years in our 2019 GX, we still like it. It was a one owner trade with 19k miles and CPO. So still have some warranty on it. Currently sitting at 45k miles. Paid 49k for it at the time. I've done a few mods to it to make it a little more trail worthy. Just finished the installation of a OEM transmission cooler which I think is a must if you off road or tow. I've done 3 transmission fluid drain and fills in the past 10k miles. Going forward will be one drain and fill every other oil change.

Prices have come down a lot in the last few months following GX 460 Marketplace FB group. No one knows what tomorrow is going to bring in pricing or anything else for that matter. Much like buying a new computer jump in at some point and if now is that point so be it. Not likely you are going to lose much if you keep it long enough.

I still don't understand why people pay a premium for "low miles" on these.

Any vehicle low miles means something. Not what it was in the 70's where 50K was a lot of miles but the GX 460 at ~100K+ has had its share of valley plate leaks and timing chain cover leaks. And as already mentioned transmission issues. My 2013 Taco had 90K on it and at 11 years old some things were starting to crop up. Replaced suspension, AC and heater which is going to happen on pretty much any vehicle at 10 years or 100K. Mechanically it was sound but it was time. Especially from a risk assessment standpoint. If you are always where there is cell phone reception not a big deal. If you run solo in the bush outside of cell phone reception it can be a huge issue even life or death in the winter.

Agree it's more about the maintenance habits and owner behavior. But if you are planning to get something for the long haul, why not try to find a mall crawler off lease that has been dealer-maintained throughout its life right?

When I bought my 19 in November I took a week after test driving it to decide to buy it. Vetted it hard including researching the history and going back to check it out a second time. It was a 4 year lease traded in a Toyota a couple of months early.

Using the VIN was able to determine with mylexus website that it was maintained in Wayzata, Mn. in the summer and Texas in the winter. Therefore was owned by older snowbirds and all scheduled maintenance was performed according to the history. The home address on the GPS was in Texas, I took a picture of it with my phone and looked it up, it is a retirement community for 55 and older. Not that there's anything wrong with 55 and older or even 65 and older in my case LOL. The hitch receiver was clean so it was never used to tow. If it had been would have been a hard pass who knows if he towed in OD or not. Climbed under it and inspect the frame, no rust on the underside which would also have been a show stopper as well. So it hadn't seen road salt.

The sticker was in the glove box it was a Luxury fully optioned which is what it took for me to buy a GX. Despite being #2 on the list for the new 250 LC I've been on it since August when it was announced. But had a heads up on the 250 because I pulled the owner of the largest Toyota dealer in Northern Mn. out of the woods a couple of years ago when he was where he shouldn't have been.

It was $72.5K new a Luxury that was fully optioned. I got it for $40K all in almost half of what it was new with 40K on it. Sold my 11 year Tacoma after I bought the GX for 2/3 of what I paid for it new. The GX is one hell of a bargain in my book and does not incur the "Toyota Tax". They are not bulletproof but no vehicle is, and so far I consider at the top of the pile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom