Road Top 8.8"/8.9" CarPlay Screen (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've received a firmware update from Road Top's reseller and will report back to you guys if it's even worth it. So far with my limited testing, what only changed was the ability to change volume for phone, Navigation, music and etc. Individually. Ran a mic test and the sound went beserk on me and it was not pleasant, probably some setting I didn't switch properly.

Was the update done over the air?

How did you contact Road Top? I would like to try that firmware in my unit!!
I didn't contact Road Top although I've heard people were able to by emailing them. I on the other hand went through my reseller and they relay the message to Road Top. Think of it as the middlemen. Reseller only responds to those who purchased from them.
Very nice!
So the firmware is newer than one that was installed on our recent units?
Technically Yes, However, I do not see any drastic differences. I have to test it out since it is a custom firmware from them. Anything wrong with the firmware, I can go directly complain to reseller and get a replacement. I do not want to have you guys risk anything if your Road Tops go wrong.

No. Done thru manufacture custom firmware to a usb stick and onto Road Top head unit.
I just emailed them directly and asked for the firmware you got. Also asked if it is possible to fix the issue with the Night Mode Brightness not keeping the setting after a reboot, meaning every time you turn the car ON, the unit goes back to Day Mode Brightness. Also asked if it is possible to add a function that allows the user to select the time of the day you want Night Mode Brightness to start and finish, like the Carpuride units do. Lets see if the respond prontly and positively. I have been tester for many companies like Topping, Matrix Audio, SMSL, RME and others and all of them are very receptive to suggestions and products improvements.

I just emailed them directly and asked for the firmware you got. Also asked if it is possible to fix the issue with the Night Mode Brightness not keeping the setting after a reboot, meaning every time you turn the car ON, the unit goes back to Day Mode Brightness. Also asked if it is possible to add a function that allows the user to select the time of the day you want Night Mode Brightness to start and finish, like the Carpuride units do. Lets see if the respond prontly and positively. I have been tester for many companies like Topping, Matrix Audio, SMSL, RME and others and all of them are very receptive to suggestions and products improvements.
Most excellent… following.

Lets hope they can solve most of your issues, From my knowledge of communicating back and forth and looking at small forums that talk about the Road Top, I believe that Road Top 8.8 does not have a RTC embedded into their devices, so it is impossible to set a time of day if you want Night mode to activate. However, having to keep the brightness setting after reboot, I do think is possible. The emphasis on Road Top's Youtube comments kept mentioning very small change. They did however promised to have some of things the community all over the place requested on their next iteration, and I hope they keep their word on it, example: light sensor to trigger day and night mode, but do take it with a grain of salt.
For now, I cannot imagine how many different custom firmwares Road Top is making to each individual customer. I know for a fact they aren't going to carry over my firmware's to yours if they do make one for you and that is going to be a mess. My speculation is that Road Tops internal memory isn't enough to store all the data that we request to fix.

Lets hope they can solve most of your issues, From my knowledge of communicating back and forth and looking at small forums that talk about the Road Top, I believe that Road Top 8.8 does not have a RTC embedded into their devices, so it is impossible to set a time of day if you want Night mode to activate. However, having to keep the brightness setting after reboot, I do think is possible. The emphasis on Road Top's Youtube comments kept mentioning very small change. They did however promised to have some of things the community all over the place requested on their next iteration, and I hope they keep their word on it, example: light sensor to trigger day and night mode, but do take it with a grain of salt.
For now, I cannot imagine how many different custom firmwares Road Top is making to each individual customer. I know for a fact they aren't going to carry over my firmware's to yours if they do make one for you and that is going to be a mess. My speculation is that Road Tops internal memory isn't enough to store all the data that we request to fix.
Very informative... at least the company is listening to their customers.

I just woke up and found an email from Road Top with the firmware to enable the different volume settings. They also said the day/night brightness setting can for sure be stored so they are going to work on it and release it in the next firmware update. They answered to my request in less than 4 hours, very impressive ;)

For those who want to have my custom firmware in the mean time, pm me and I'll give you the link. Don't want to post it publicly because there has to be a reason why road top doesn't give firmware out publicly and I should respect that.

Just remember, use it at your own risk. Not responsible if it bricks your device.

I just woke up and found an email from Road Top with the firmware to enable the different volume settings. They also said the day/night brightness setting can for sure be stored so they are going to work on it and release it in the next firmware update. They answered to my request in less than 4 hours, very impressive ;)
WOW
For those who want to have my custom firmware in the mean time, pm me and I'll give you the link. Don't want to post it publicly because there has to be a reason why road top doesn't give firmware out publicly and I should respect that.

Just remember, use it at your own risk. Not responsible if it bricks your device.
Very generous of you....

Last edited:

Just did the update and got everything working. The only weird thing is that the unit is still reporting the old Software Version 2022.06.23.1.0.3 instead of 2022.07.15.1.0.4, but the different volume setting are present and working. Could you please share your firmware file to compare with mine? Also, in your video I noticed you did a steep that is not shown on the firmware update video and that may be the steep I'm missing which is when you go to User Update. I tried to do that and it didn't;t show anything available.

IMG_2950.jpeg

IMG_2951.jpeg

IMG_2952.jpeg

IMG_2953.jpeg

Last edited:
For those on a 200 Land Cruiser Are you phone calls getting routed via call Bluetooth profile or Media? You could tell if the Land Cruiser call menu comes up during a call or not. This is important because it means you are using the Land Cruiser mic for phone calls.

My gen 2 does not do that and my gen 1 did

Last edited:
I think I might want to create a checklist of what we want (if possible) to be implemented in the Road Top. If you guys have anything you might want to add, just comment or send me a PM and ill push it to my reseller and have Them look if it could be done. Can't guarantee if they will be able to do it, but it is worth a shot. I know it all depends on the car we drive, but we're helping them make their product better by providing feedback. What do you guys think?

I think I might want to create a checklist of what we want (if possible) to be implemented in the Road Top. If you guys have anything you might want to add, just comment or send me a PM and ill push it to my reseller and have Them look if it could be done. Can't guarantee if they will be able to do it, but it is worth a shot. I know it all depends on the car we drive, but we're helping them make their product better by providing feedback. What do you guys think?
That’s a great idea. On my part, I want the day/night mode brightness selection to be stored so it doesn’t go back to day mode after rebooting. It doesn’t hurt to ask if a time window can be implemented for the day/night brightness mode, though. You can try emailing directly to Yanni @ sales@roadtop.com and CC roadtopdirect@outlook.com

Those are the two emails I sent my request.

That’s a great idea. On my part, I want the day/night mode brightness selection to be stored so it doesn’t go back to day mode after rebooting. It doesn’t hurt to ask if a time window can be implemented for the day/night brightness mode, though. You can try emailing directly to Yanni @ sales@roadtop.com and CC roadtopdirect@outlook.com

Those are the two emails I sent my request.
The Daytime and night time stored, waiting for response from them as I already asked on your behalf yesterday.
Thanks for the information on their emails. will compile the lists and shoot all their emails, whatsapp or any form of contact and let them handle what can and cannot be done.

Very interesting product. I like seeing Wes's setup as that would be my application ('08 LX with ML sound). I'll be watching this space (and if a 3D printed mount for the dashtop becomes available, I'll probably give this a shot!

Can you stream audio to the unit without using Android Auto? Spotify, Pandora, etc?

Very interesting product. I like seeing Wes's setup as that would be my application ('08 LX with ML sound). I'll be watching this space (and if a 3D printed mount for the dashtop becomes available, I'll probably give this a shot!

Can you stream audio to the unit without using Android Auto? Spotify, Pandora, etc?
The unit does not connect to the internet on its own but you can put in a micro SD or USB with music or videos to play independently

Hi everyone
anyone could tell me please where in generation 2 can i ge the (echo cancelation)
someone on amazon posted from factory menu in generation 1 but i cant find in new UI

Hi everyone
anyone could tell me please where in generation 2 can i ge the (echo cancelation)
someone on amazon posted from factory menu in generation 1 but i cant find in new UI
So you're saying that the first generation has an option for echo cancelation? What does that feature do if I may ask?

So you're saying that the first generation has an option for echo cancelation? What does that feature do if I may ask?
To Cancel the echo effect on the other side while on bluetooth transmition to car stereo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom