Road Top 8.8"/8.9" CarPlay Screen (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sounds like you got the 1 out of 1,000 that had that issue.

I love my RoadTop. There is only one glitch mine has and I cannot figure it out. When I drive by a certain spot in my daily commute the RoadTop loses Bluetooth connection. It is at the SAME spot daily. Must be some electrical power like something or other. Or an underground bunker with a giant power source for a prepper.
This happens on my Ford edge OEM CarPlay… same location every time…. Not a RoadTop issue

I use Android Auto and Waze but the map display info is tiny -- I can barely see the speed fonts... using Apple Car play on wife's phone has larger speed fonts.
Anyone know a way to Zoom or increase the DPI/resolution of the screen?

Besides that, my only complaint is if I drive the night before and the screen is dim when I start again in the day light the screen is still dim.
If I realize during startup, I just power off the screen and when Android Auto connects, all is good, but if it load Android Auto before I can power off the screen, I have to exit and power off the screen, back on and all is good.
If I don't manually turn off the screen and it's still early on the way to work, the screen will un-dim after I go under this one bridge and all is good.

anyone figure out the best dimming setting to get the screen to work correctly?

I’m not sure about the font issue, all looks good on mine. As for dimming issue, contact support, there is a firmware update for that

Had mine since July and been generally happy understanding this a relatively cheap screen. Had a couple dimming issues, but not enough that it's been annoying. Yesterday went to go drive and the screen flickered a couple times before going black. Same issue today without the flicker, just straight to black--not sure if it's because it's cold out or what. Anyone encountered this before and did you find a fix or is it something that will require replacement. Already tried pulling power and letting it reboot, but it didn't do anything.

On a separate note, I’ve made a couple of changes that have made things even more OEM-like
1. Changed the mount to this very simple one from Amazon to make things cleaner. Keep in mind the bottom edge of my unit is affixed to the edge of the dashboard with double sided gorilla clear tape. Also I removed both clamping rings to maximize angles. Things are solid, no wobbling.
i.Trek Sticky Mount for Garmin Nuvi (Black) https://a.co/d/iTAZKZI
View attachment 3520766
2. Made a simple adjustment under equalizer settings to route all audio from phone through car Bluetooth. I already operated in this manner (phone paired to both, Land Cruiser and RoadTop) but without this change sound would not come through vehicle if I operated through Road Top instead of vehicle controls, so I had to hit pause/play on the dashboard. Also if I tapped a text message in RoadTop I would not hear it. All that is fixed, this has made operation fell 100% OEM
@jefo13 I just upgraded to the RT 8.9 and I am impressed with the quality of the build. They are definitely refining their game. I made the change you did in equalizer setting on bluetooth and it works much better not having to use the LC's play / pause button, etc. But the sound for texts and maps is now coming through my phone (which I can live with). Are your maps and texts audio coming through the LC speakers? Also, what is brand of the new mount? I like how it is smaller and lower to the dash.

@jefo13 I just upgraded to the RT 8.9 and I am impressed with the quality of the build. They are definitely refining their game. I made the change you did in equalizer setting on bluetooth and it works much better not having to use the LC's play / pause button, etc. But the sound for texts and maps is now coming through my phone (which I can live with). Are your maps and texts audio coming through the LC speakers? Also, what is brand of the new mount? I like how it is smaller and lower to the dash.
Just saw your Amazon link to the mount, so strike that question. Thanks

These roadtop units fit the 16+ dashes great. Does anyone have photos of the roadtop installed on the 08-15 dash?

These roadtop units fit the 16+ dashes great. Does anyone have photos of the roadtop installed on the 08-15 dash?
Yes, but I went overboard. :)

IMG_3154.jpeg

IMG_3155.jpeg

I went a with a Carpuride w903 and so far pretty happy with it. Works seamlessly in my 08 with a grom Bluetooth adapter. Bonus points since it has a dashcam.

IMG_2024-02-05-205148.jpeg

Last edited:
Finished up the install for my carpuride w903. The factory sticky mounts weren’t my style. The gamviti speaker mount would have been the best but I didn’t want to fork over a hundred bucks just yet. So I tried a custom mounting solution. I ordered the below adapter in hopes to use ram mounts. The 4 prong part did not fit in my carpuride unit and I didn’t want modify that to fit.

I ended up using a steel bracket mount for an aux light, I believe, attached to part of the factory carpuride mounting system. I drilled through the speaker grill and used some short Allen bolts. I would like to add some two sided tape in the center where the unit meets the dash and add some rubber feet on the ends ti stabilize the unit.

It’s not perfect, but it should work for my needs.

1709926052714.jpeg

1709926072985.jpeg

1709926092953.jpeg

1709926107240.jpeg

1709926129570.jpeg

iBOLT 25mm / 1 inch / B Size to 4 Prong Composite Ball Adapter for Industry Standard Dual Ball Socket mounting arms- Works with iBOLT Tablet Holders (IBBZ-33921) https://a.co/d/eYOXRda

They sent me this updated firmware but I can't get it work - my screen now reboots over and over and over and over......
My usb stick is 32GB and #3 below isn't exactly how I get to the firmware update screen and now I've been trying to get my screen back for an hour.

Thank you so much for your reply.
Please do an 2.0.8 update: GEMINI_PACK.BIN - https://we.tl/t-odfRVRdnuA
GEMINI_PACK.BIN
1 file sent via WeTransfer, the simplest way to send your files around the world
we.tl
Update instruction:
1. Prepare a USB stick (capacity smaller than 64GB and format to Fat32)
2. Copy the "GEMINI_PACK.BIN" file onto the root directory of the USB stick.
3. Plug the USB stick into the screen, Setup -> System -> Firmware update -> System update and the update will start.

Anyone have issues getting their RoadTop to mirror an iPhone? BT, CarPlay and all that works fine, but I can’t get the RoadTop to mirror my iPhone screen.

Anyone have issues getting their RoadTop to mirror an iPhone? BT, CarPlay and all that works fine, but I can’t get the RoadTop to mirror my iPhone screen.

Yes--the way the describe it on the screen shows you basically have to disconnect it from CarPlay and turn on the iOSMirror instead, but even doing that I never get it to pop up on my iPhone as an AirPlay device. Would love to figure it out, but I know ultimately I won't use it as much as I think I would

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom