Road Top 8.8"/8.9" CarPlay Screen (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Updated: 12/26/23
We have been chatting about this product on a separate thread and it was suggested to create its own for reference...
Amazon Link
Manufacturer Link
Smaller Mount for minimalist look
No doubt that a fully integrated OEM looking thing is the best. But for $300-$200 this was a great second option.

I used to have my iPad over the screen, really nice setup but I needed to flip the iPad every time to back up and every once in a while the magnetic charger would need to be changed out. Also, I paid $10 a month for iPad service. Lastly the phone calls were always sketchy when using The iPad to communicate. Lastly on sunny days, the iPad would overheat or just dim to the point I couldn’t see. For all these reasons I was exploring the option to install beatsonic’s CarPlay solution, but I was staring at about $1,000 installed. Then I saw the Road Top unit a few months ago and started thinking about it…

Pros:
- price ($300) EDIT: Often sub $200 on Amazon
- wide screen/low profile (10 icons) - which is better than OEM setup, 8 icons
- comes with tons of accessories including backup camera - I did not use but I am open to ideas of how to take advantage of extra camera
- Audio continues to be routed to Land Cruiser through your phone's bluetooth, as you do before getting this unite. Just connect phone to RoadTop (either cable or bluetooth) to enable wireless CarPlay. (Need to change setting in Equalizer section on RoadTop to indicate audio handled by the vehicle)
- wireless CarPlay is more reliable than the one in my ‘22 Ford Edge
- all OEM media controls work
- uses vehicle microphone for Calls
- boot logo is customizable to Toyota logo
- airplay mirroring/android screen mirroring - work OK, can be cumbersome, but I never use it.
- when using Apple Maps, you can search by typing - not forced to use Siri, even while in motion.
- full use of OEM screen & CarPlay simultaneously, especially helpful offloading with front camera on and mounting with OnX

Cons:
- you have to conceal the wire for maximum OEM look (con vs a CarPlay retrofit module, not vs iPad setup since I had a cable for that)

The following are no longer an issue:
- you loose access to Toyota Entune apps (I never used)
- OEM phone answer and hang up button don't work - just use the CarPlay Screen
- no auto-brightness - Road top did mention to me that their next version will include
- display settings adjustment screen does not include an image so it takes some menu flipping to get contrast and saturation right

I like the look quite frankly, it looks like many of the new cars nowadays including LX600 which has dual screens with an overlayed widescreen on the dash. I did buy a separate mount on Amazon for allow a little for downward angle which let me rest the screen further down...

IMG_0926.jpeg

IMG_0923.jpeg

I routed the cable behind the dash and by the speaker grill. I also used dual-sided tape to adhere the unit to the dash and eliminate any rattle from movement.
IMG_1024.jpeg

Is it an Android box (and is it exposed), or does it only do CarPlay/AA?

I’m still bouncing back and forth on the Grom VLine2 between using Android and using CarPlay. Mostly using CarPlay, but it’s nice to to have both options.
It’s actually based on Linux. So no apps to be installed it’s pretty closed off for the regular user… there is an advanced menu that allows to change the boot logo to your car mfg. it does play mp4 off usb or micro sd as well as airplay or mirrorlink. The wireless CarPlay is seamless and better than my 2022 for edge. I also noticed it allows me to type searches in maps even if the vehicle is moving which I love compared to my Edge which forces you to use Siri .
@jefo13 This is a very reasonable solution for those not looking to open up their dash to install the tesla style screens. I like the fact it has a wide format and doesn't obstruct too much of the driver's view. Did you look at other vendors in this market? How did you route your power cable and is there an option to hardwire it? Are you happy with the quality of the screen? I think this RoadTop device deserves a separate thread for review purposes.
Yeah I know I accidentally highjacked the thread and mostly because the vendor referenced was called merge screen and they sell add-on screens which made me think of Road-Top. - I’ll cut and paste a bunch and repost.

Screens in the Market
To answer your question, Yes I have been hyper aware of this market because my previous work car was super old with the 3” screen and I wanted to add separate screen just for CarPlay. Back then only car and driver had an option but it was pricy and no wireless option. I toyed with and Android tablet and an adapter but it was too gimmicky. Meanwhile on my LC I was using the iPad like I mentioned earlier in the thread which had some great advantages but several annoyances. So I kept my out and saw this pop earlier in the year, I watched for reviews as Amazon and Reddit’s CarPlay built some history with it. I liked what I was hearing and then this thread pushed me to it as I mentioned above…. So in short I have not seen any other unit like it (wide and low profile, there are many 3:3 ones out there)
Hardwire Question
I tested it plugged in cigarette lighter to make sure I wanted it, in a few days I knew I did so I went to my trusted Autosound guy and they hardwired it. Unfortunately he did it to the ignition instead of accessory but not a gotal inconvenience. I might go back and have jume fix it.

Cable routing
I followed the same path as I had for years with the iPad. Pull the panel with the ignition button and route it through there, from above the ignition to the device I tucked it in the A/C vent using adhesive clips. It’s not super clean and I thought of going through the speaker grill but the Autosound guy thought the cable is too thick for it. For me it’s fine since with the iPad I’ve had a cable there for years…

Last edited:
I just ordered one also. Let's see how it turns out.

I hope you have better luck with it than I did. I could not get it to connect and work consistently. Sometimes (rarely) the audio would come from the vehicle speakers and others it would come from the Roadtop internal speakers. Bottom line I would restart the Cruiser and not know what would happen. I might spend a bit more time with it today but I already have the Amazon return setup.

I just ordered one to play with on the LCDC trip. Should be interesting to compare with the Grom I had (that failed).

Just installed this unit tonight in my 08’ LX. Set up wasn’t too bad with the help from my 18yo. I ran mine thru the aux jack so I will have to find a way to hide 2 wires. Also mounted my bracket arm on the dash upside down so the unit hangs down in front of my old screen obscuring most of it. I don’t like the look or the road View with the screen on the dash. Seems to do everything I need in a car audio system=CarPlay. I’ll try to get some pics up tomorrow and update how things are going.

Any particular reason why everyone is ordering this specific model?
It seems like it doesn’t have good reviews on Amazon.
Any other model to consider since one more day til end of Prime Day?

Any particular reason why everyone is ordering this specific model?
It seems like it doesn’t have good reviews on Amazon.
Any other model to consider since one more day til end of Prime Day?
I would say primarily for me, it’s the wide low profile format Vs all the 4:3 ones out there…. Also the dual Bluetooth and excellent wireless carplay I’m loving mine…

Just installed this unit tonight in my 08’ LX. Set up wasn’t too bad with the help from my 18yo. I ran mine thru the aux jack so I will have to find a way to hide 2 wires. Also mounted my bracket arm on the dash upside down so the unit hangs down in front of my old screen obscuring most of it. I don’t like the look or the road View with the screen on the dash. Seems to do everything I need in a car audio system=CarPlay. I’ll try to get some pics up tomorrow and update how things are going.
is this compatible with our LX570 rear view cameras?

I would say primarily for me, it’s the wide low profile format Vs all the 4:3 ones out there…. Also the dual Bluetooth and excellent wireless carplay I’m loving mine…
Oh I see… I will order one as well and see what happens… thanks!

This unit does not replace anything in the OEM unit, so it does not affect the function of the rear camera. This is a supplemental screen in addition to the OEM system, that taps into the OEM audio.

It is just a CarPlay separate screen, your OEM Navi-unit functions the same…. Not sure though about placement in a LX since I believe you have a screen already on the dash right?

@jefo13 did your audio guy use the supplied power cable and modify to hardwire? Or did he rig something different? This is the route I may go, so appreciate any info.

I ended up sending mine back to Amazon because I could not get the unit to connect with my Cruiser. Thanks to @jefo13 for helping me out via IM yesterday.

Can you measure the screen unit width and height? I'm wondering if I can fit it down in front of the ash tray in front of the shifter on my 08. That spot conveniently has power and aux...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom