Road Top 8.8"/8.9" CarPlay Screen (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

May not be irrelevant since I do not have a LC/LX but I have a Lexus NX (same family), but based on my findings and thorough test, I have tried an elaborate phone call test and here are my findings:
1- The caller says that my voice sounded as if I am talking far away
2- The Caller says that they can hear themselves repeat as if it were an echo and find it quite annoying.

Upon talking and talking, the mic on the device is in fact located on the rear of the unit near the cutout of the speaker and that noisy fan, So if you were to mount the device flat against the dash or something that covers the rear, the fan noise will be projected to the mic and will emit a loud turbine like noise through your cars speaker.

I also find that when using phone call and hanging up, the music playing (spotify or youtube) does not emit any noise anymore whether pausing and playing again. Happened to my third party headunit also. Only way to solve this is the rest the Road Top.

The only solution at the moment which is cumbersome is to set the bluetooth device (road top) connected to the car set as for music and bluetooth phone connected to car set as phone calls only. When you try to make phone calls, only answer the phone with the call button on steering wheel and not the Road Top. If you answer by tapping answer on Road top, it will route through the devices bluetooth. If you you answer through button on steering wheel, it will route through microphone of car. When making a call, the same, through the cars phone and not through Road Tops carplay/android auto contact list. The caller says mic from stock car sounds far superior than any third party that I've tested, and that includes Grom Audio, Beatsonic and Lexion Automotive which I have tested. thought that since this device is linux based, that I can shove a usb car mic to override the mic from the device (worked on Raspberry Pi 4 running on linux with no installation needed, just plug and play) but no cigar. Reason I mentioned Raspberry Pi 4 was that I was in the process of building the Open Auto Pro head unit to test it out and found out that after purchasing parts for it, It exceeded around 500 dollars compared to Road Tops 200 + range.

Reason sharing my thoughts here is because This is the only active forum where people are talking about the Road Top device. I see no other part of forum sharing their issues or findings based on my intense google search and also no mention of 2nd Gen, So I decided to shed the light.
If anybody here has a solution to the bluetooth car problem, I am all open ears.

I have sent a video to the seller to see what they can do to help solve the issue.

I ordered yesterday this unit from Amazon so I'm hopping I'm getting the 2nd generation as in the Amazon listing they are showing the 2nd generation UI. I also got from Sarah (Road Top Direct) the user manual over email and it's the user manual for 2nd Generation. I will post here if it's in fact the second generation unit.

Out of concern over the timing of my order with respect to 1st/2nd generation, I cancelled my order and will be just going with a mounted iPad for LCDC. Will revisit this product after LCDC and put it through some thorough testing, particularly the 3rd party CarPlay app integration as well as 3rd party app integration with the base Android OS.

If the signal that it is a second generation is the ability to choose between day/night mode, then I received the second generation by ordering 8/12 on Amazon.

For those who really want to have a budget option and do not want to spend money on the Road top and have an old Android Tablet laying around, can try this method:
An app called Headunit Reloaded (Headunit Reloaded Emulator for Android Auto - Apps on Google Play - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=gb.xxy.hr&hl=en_US&gl=US) can be installed into the tablet and will communicate with your android device but only will work via android auto. I think you need to have another app called "wifi launcher" from the same developer in order for it to automatically start android auto. For carplay users, you can try the carlinkit technique that people have done on android tablets. wont tell you how its done as I have not tried this technique before, however, I do try the Headunit Reloaded. Only downsides for these is lack of steering wheel controls. For those who have android auto but only wired, can invest in a dongle either Carsifi or AAWireless. Your mileage may vary because AAwireless didn't work on my third party headunit as It keeps kicking me out. Carsifi on the other hand worked well, just booted a bit longer than AAWireless.

If the signal that it is a second generation is the ability to choose between day/night mode, then I received the second generation by ordering 8/12 on Amazon.
Yes, First Generation doesn't have the feature, only the second Generation, So that means you have the second Generation. Also, I think you have more stations to choose from if you option to use the FM transmitter because you can choose specific countries for different frequencies.

I just got mine delivered from Amazon and I can confirm it's 2nd Generation. User manual is the same Sarah emailed me this morning, UI is 2nd Gen UI and I was able to setup the Lexus logo. Connection over Bluetooth on my Lexus CT200h took me a while but now it's connecting automatically. Going to reroute the power cable to the glove compartment and will post some photos after.

IMG_2876.jpeg

IMG_2875.jpeg

IMG_2878.jpeg

IMG_2879.jpeg

I just got mine delivered from Amazon and I can confirm it's 2nd Generation. User manual is the same Sarah emailed me this morning, UI is 2nd Gen UI and I was able to setup the Lexus logo. Connection over Bluetooth on my Lexus CT200h took me a while but now it's connecting automatically. Going to reroute the power cable to the glove compartment and will post some photos after.

View attachment 3063335

View attachment 3063336

View attachment 3063337

View attachment 3063338
Very nice! can't wait to receive mine!

Installation is done!!! All I can say is that I LOVE this CarPlay screen. After trying and returning yeesterday the Carpuride 9", 7" and the Car and Driver Intellidash Pro, this Road Top 8.8 Gen 2 is by miles the best CarPlay device, period. Bluetooth sounds AMAZING, even better than AUX out. The 16 Bands EQ is great too. For my car model, Lexus CT200h. this is the best screen due the size and shape. It only block the CD changer which I never use ;)

IMG_2887.jpeg

IMG_2886.jpeg

IMG_2889.jpeg

IMG_2890.jpeg

IMG_2891 2.jpeg

Wow, too bad you can’t put it where your dash screen is, it would look stock!

Yep, that would have been sick. Back in 2020 I tried the Grom V2 but got frustrated. Too many bugs and firmware screwed the sound quality so I returned it. It was nice having CarPlay in the OEM screen but the bugs were driving me crazy. Two years later I'm back testing and finally found this solution that while doesn't look like the Grom V2, at least has wireless CarPlay and no bugs. Plus I can take it out and use it in another car.

Yep, that would have been sick. Back in 2020 I tried the Grom V2 but got frustrated. Too many bugs and firmware screwed the sound quality so I returned it. It was nice having CarPlay in the OEM screen but the bugs were driving me crazy. Two years later I'm back testing and finally found this solution that while doesn't look like the Grom V2, at least has wireless CarPlay and no bugs. Plus I can take it out and use it in another car.

Really liked the Grom while it worked, but it was severely hindered by the poor resolution of the factory screen.

I received my Gen 2 today and installed it! Not too hard, still testing the sound and dimmer settings. So far so good. Thanks Jefo13!

View attachment 3063518
Really fits well with the LC screen. Waiting for someone to post a stacked version on an LX.

My screen just arrived and is a version 1. I’m returning it as the white box is just destroyed on one corner. Didn’t even need to open it. I’ll order a new one and hope it’s a version 2.

My screen just arrived and is a version 1. I’m returning it as the white box is just destroyed on one corner. Didn’t even need to open it. I’ll order a new one and hope it’s a version 2.

The outside of mine said this, and it was still Gen 2.

image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom