Builds Love Bug, the Land Cruiser and me... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

15835B5B-D8B6-4CB9-A590-640A05F76C15.jpeg

517CA1B8-28BB-4361-B37F-B139438F33F0.jpeg

If you don't want to repair the rotted channel or buy new running boards. Cut a rectanguler chunk of steel that will fit in the channel. Make it long enough to span the blown out channel and rest on what's left of the channel. Drill a hole for your M10 bolt and tack weld the bolt to the rectanguler "washer". You can tighten nut from under support bracket and bolt won't spin🤓

I used some scrap rubber horse trailer mat to sandwich between the support bracket and running board channel. Thrift stores often have old heavy duty neoprene wetsuits cheap. You could cut and stack layers of neoprene to reach correct thickness.

Love Bug+Bug's Dad searching for Neoprene scraps=more memories🍻

Anyone who has done a poly body mount upgrade should be able to help you with an old rubber puck that is the same thickness as the running board puck. I have a stack of 3/8” poly pucks I had made 20 years ago out of a 4x8 sheet. Happy to donate a couple with your next order.

Since the running board only gets downwards pressure on it, anything that will hold the puck to the stay should theoretically be satisfactory for supporting the running board.

Last edited:
It's been a while since I've had any news, good or bad...

The Bad: The 40 had a chirp with any outward pressure (turning left) coming from the right side. The wheel, while on the ground, ha a clunky play about it.
The More Bad: MRI showed I had torn up my rotator cuff and would need surgery
The Sucks but Necessary: Surgery was Dec 7th. Found 4 torn bits, one at 80%, two at 50% and one at 25%. Repaired as needed but not able to do much for a couple months
The Worst: Toss up between not being able to drive the LC, the pain involved after surgery or self care with non-dominate hand
The Good: I expect to get the "all clear" from the doc this Tuesday. That means driving the 40 again and able to work on it
The Better: Parts ordered to rebuild the front knuckles and wheel bearings
The Best: Love Bug is jonesing to roll up to school.

Can't wait for Cruiser Outfitters to pack a box full of Cruiser Goodness and punt it over the Wasatch Range and Rockies!

1648439311082.png

Great thread so far, I dig it! Better get that rig ready for some fishing soon!

Would anyone in Northern Colorado (Longmont & north) have a knuckle centering tool for rent or loan? Ideally would pickup night of Thursday, April 7th and return on Monday, April 11th...
@PabloCruise

ETA: Needs to fit older knuckle/axle '69

So Love Bug is out at the lake with friends and my oldest is home on leave with the D-I-L and grandson. I can utilize his muscle... lol.

20220701_160722.jpg

What in the PO e'f?? The right side knuckle plug was a wood dowel with electrical tape!

20220701_165222.jpg

Right side is done... or so I thought... It wasn't until we took the left side apart that we realized there should have been a spindle washer next to the bearing...

yall-got-anymore-of-them-spindle-washers.jpg

I need one... like now!!! Can't find them at the local O'Reily's....

Last edited:
So Love Bug is out at the lake with friends and my oldest is home on leave with the D-I-L and grandson. I can utilize his muscle... lol.

View attachment 3049155

What in the PO e'f??

View attachment 3049156

Right side is done... or so I thought... It wasn't until we took the left side apart that we realized there should have been a spindle washer next to the bearing...

View attachment 3049158

I need one... like now!!! Can't find them at the local O'Reily's....
There MIGHT be a chance of that with a disc spindle. Not the drum.
Time for plan B. Hit up a cruiser buddy who’s further down the rabbit hole than you and borrow one if you HAVE to get it back together right now.

Crisis averted!!!... We were cleaning up tools and found the claw washer. We did have a backup plan with making one out of a machine bushing with a Dremel and a file... lol. Both sides are back together, hope to go fishing tomorrow!

Untitled.jpg

So yesterday we loaded up the grand-buddy in the 40 and headed west.
IMG_20220707_215129.jpg

Pretty uneventful drive until we started getting out of town.

IMG_20220707_215055.jpg

As we went up in elevation, performance was going down faster that the fuel gauge or an F4 Phantom with both engines out! It was progressively getting worse as we got closer to the lake. At one point, all she could give was 22 mph in second, no power what-so-ever... My son said "Hey dad, we can pull over and take a look..." I told him we were just 5 miles from the lake and I felt it would get us there... If we couldn't get it running again, we wouldn't get to fish. So in the limp mode of limp modes, we roll into the lake parking lot with it running like complete trash by now. All I can think of is how expensive this is going to be, how long the LC is going to be down... just nothing but a gut feeling of dread and sadness.
With his youthful exuberance, he hops out and says "Pop the hood and I'll take a look"... :rofl::rofl: This guy... I tell him to chalk the tires and I'll leave it running aaaannnnnd the latches are on the hood. He pulls off the air cleaner cover and hands me the filter. While I'm looking it over, he says "Dad, I think I found the problem.."

20220706_134950.jpg

15" of problem.... the balled up electrical tape was 7" deep in the carb. As he is pulling it out, the LC is running better with every inch pulled.

With that solved, we turn our attention to the task at hand, FISHIN'!!!

We start getting bites right off the bat with a couple of flies I've designed and tied... but every time we pause to have the grand-buddy come help us, the brief lack of tension allows the trout to throw the hook... Barbless hooks rock, but we need a fish to hand for this mission... Enter the PowerBait... I haven't used it in years, but the middle son and Love Bug like to just throw a line out there and play in the dirt/sand/rocks so I had some in the tackle box. Sure enough, within 5 minutes of casting it out, we have a bite and the little man helps reel in his first fish!

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!

IMG_20220707_215118.jpg

Since this is a put-and-take lake, I have no qualms about whacking this one. Rain wouldn't deter us, but the lightning did. We rode home with smiles on our faces as the grand-buddy crashed as the LC, with it's audible magic, lulled him to sleep. No problems all the way home and "normal" power restored... What a great trip! A little sad we didn't get to do more fishing as we dropped everyone off at the airport today. He might not remember this trip, but we sure will!

It finally happened... The '40 left me stranded... 🥺 Luckily it was in town while running errands so I grabbed the Tundra and flat towed it home... it was running fine, like always, well almost always... Before the electrical tape incident... It was acting like the float bowl was filling... so I am looking it over today and notice no fuel in the window... I pull the 14mm cap off of the top of the carb and there is this piece of something fibrousish... It looks familiar but can't quite place it...

20220710_152126.jpg

I pull the fuel line to the carb and crank the engine... only a bubble comes out with no fuel... So the carb likely has crap in it, but did I loose a fuel pump?

While looking over the fuel lines, I realize where I'd seen material like what was in the carb.... Fuel filter element!

20220710_153525.jpg

I get a little excited and start to loosen the screw/holder thing underneath, as the thought occurs to me that this might be below the tank, I get a handful of fuel...

Question I have is this: do I need to drain the tank to pull/change the filter? I'd like to keep the assembly but if there is a better/ more reliable way to filter the fuel, I'm all ears...

You will get some fuel but it's not to bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom