Builds 1988 BJ74 “Number 1” (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OEM soft top wipers. This came together with the help of @OGBeno for part numbers, @jblueridge for measurements and @Japan4X4 for sourcing them and looking for all the right pieces. Thanks all!

So this is a 2 fold upgrade.
#1 my old wipers were getting a bit rough looking and working. They were also the bayonet style which is getting harder to find blades for. These are the J hook style.
#2 In order to fold the windscreen down you either need to take off your wipers with 2 bolts every time, or buy these and loosen a thumbscrew.

So the only issue it that Toyota only sells the passenger side for RHD vehicles. :confused: The drivers side on RHD is NLA, and not being made anymore. Dave wasn't able to find it anywhere and stated NLA. So I took at gamble using @jblueridge measurements which he said there is roughly a 3cm difference with the passenger side being 3cm longer. I figured I can live with or modify to make up that 1" difference.

tempImage2PJOD6.png

Quite the engineering if you haven't seen them in person. Loosen the knurled screw and the wiper folds over with the windshield. Spring loaded screw to keep it from interfering when folding and a c-clip to keep it from falling out.

tempImage9Ha0Yi.png

Part number for right hand drive J hook wiper.

tempImageFiBM6W.png

Here it is next to my current wiper passenger side wiper. Seems pretty close to me so.

tempImagebHOeUX.png

I really can't seem to seem much of a difference at all of usable wiper arc. Now yes, there is a formula for math nerds and engineers to figure out how much less wiping area I'm getting (sounds way too personal). For all intents and purposes, it's negligible.

tempImageiSJKHc.png

Yes, getting my mail is much easier. I guess all those "do you deliver mail?" questions are finally getting to me.

tempImageCY0DZi.png

Someone says, hey there is a red one just like yours in town...

in town...
tempImagekPiMvd.png

Me:
fc827726fa137088074acae2463f11af3ee6d791r1-245-200_00.gif

I really can't seem to seem much of a difference at all of usable wiper arc. Now yes, there is a formula for math nerds and engineers to figure out how much less wiping area I'm getting (sounds way too personal). For all intents and purposes, it's negligible.

View attachment 2999123

Yes, getting my mail is much easier. I guess all those "do you deliver mail?" questions are finally getting to me.

View attachment 2999130

Someone says, hey there is a red one just like yours in town...

in town...
View attachment 2999142

Me:
View attachment 2999143
🙄
Just so you are aware, Ben. It happens all the time up here in Canada too. I had a friend drop off an open trailer for me to borrow and he asked me where my Jeep was. I am done correcting people because they either GET IT or they DON'T. So I just replied with a little bit of emphasis on the actual vehicle make and model being in the garage.

I also get people referring to it as a land rover... this is probably the most often. Surprisingly I have not had any mail delivery comments. But then, mine is not WHITE.

Also surprising is how much this tends to get under the skin... I mean for DAYS later I am still remembering with annoyance someone calling the LC a rover or a jeep. Grrrr.... LOL 🤷‍♂️

🙄
Just so you are aware, Ben. It happens all the time up here in Canada too. I had a friend drop off an open trailer for me to borrow and he asked me where my Jeep was. I am done correcting people because they either GET IT or they DON'T. So I just replied with a little bit of emphasis on the actual vehicle make and model being in the garage.

I also get people referring to it as a land rover... this is probably the most often. Surprisingly I have not had any mail delivery comments. But then, mine is not WHITE.

Also surprising is how much this tends to get under the skin... I mean for DAYS later I am still remembering with annoyance someone calling the LC a rover or a jeep. Grrrr.... LOL 🤷‍♂️

I've gotten very good at these situations.

Screen Shot 2022-05-09 at 4.31.00 PM.png

random citizen: Cool (insert:jeep, rover, mail delivery vehicle)

Me:
h7C81F493.gif

I like those conversations, at least if the people really show fascination and ask questions.
There aren't stupid questions. 'Is the snorkel for cooling', 'Can you wade all that deep' ... 'What's that 2nd lever for...
In 5 years time we may even need to explain what a manual transmission is and answer questions like 'is it really combusting fuel?'
😁

I like those conversations, at least if the people really show fascination and ask questions.
There aren't stupid questions. 'Is the snorkel for cooling', 'Can you wade all that deep' ... 'What's that 2nd lever for...
In 5 years time we may even need to explain what a manual transmission is and answer questions like 'is it really combusting fuel?'
😁

I'm not as salty as I make out to be, but I do appreciate even the novice/uneducated admirer of the cruiser even if they have no idea what it is. To them it's a cool rig that makes them think of some desert race, or jungle movie or adventure. Nostalgia...rugged. Most vehicles these days are so boring. Soon for the most part, I enjoy chatting (even when I have to over annunciate TOYOTA multiple times)

One of my favorite experiences: shatbox mini truck single cab with stoney guy and his dog. I drive past, they floor it to catch up and I get the 🤙 and a big ol Fawk Yah brother!!!
Worst question asked: Isn't it hard to breathe with the exhaust right by your head?....uh thats the snorkel, the air intake.

I'm not as salty as I make out to be, but I do appreciate even the novice/uneducated admirer of the cruiser even if they have no idea what it is. To them it's a cool rig that makes them think of some desert race, or jungle movie or adventure. Nostalgia...rugged. Most vehicles these days are so boring. Soon for the most part, I enjoy chatting (even when I have to over annunciate TOYOTA multiple times)

One of my favorite experiences: shatbox mini truck single cab with stoney guy and his dog. I drive past, they floor it to catch up and I get the 🤙 and a big ol Fawk Yah brother!!!
Worst question asked: Isn't it hard to breathe with the exhaust right by your head?....uh thats the snorkel, the air intake.
Until you are asked how the periscope (yes, the snorkel) works while you’re under water there is still room for more “interesting” questions. 😁

Tried some replacement shackles for the front along with bushings and pins as my rubber ones are worn out, and the shackles are pretty rough.
These are from Ironman, not really a fan of the Jello Green bushing color... Not quite as long as I wanted for front, so I will probably look for longer ones up front to help with the rake I have.

they are only about 3/8"ish longer, so not much change.

tempImagexwdQL1.png

Cool! What diesel do you have in mind? Is it currently the I5 or VR6? My brother picked up a poptop Weekender last fall and I instantly fell in love with it. The family car when we were kids was a 1970 Bus, so it is kind of a natural progression.

Although the guy that we got it from wanted to trade all of his Toyotas (he had 7) for my 74. Ah, thanks but no lol.

C52EC02C-B7A1-4767-B7EF-F439DBA2DAE8.jpeg

Will be fun to have a pop top to look at and work with my spare FRP top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom