Builds Unicorns are real... My dream car FJ73 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

what's left before burnouts?!

The list is long of little stuff, but specifically to the drivetrain:

exhaust -- currently 3" dump manifold, so I bought 12gauge stainless 3" mandrel bends. Plan to take it back inside the frame crossover behind the transfer case into one muffler. Going to see if the stock GM will fit, as there is a lot of room there.

Radiator -- still at the radiator shop . I got the metric to AN6 fittings for the radiator cooler (prior engine cooler).

Power steering cooler. all ready to install, just want to see where radiator sits before I finalize the path of the hoses.

A/C: need radiator to finalize mounting of the new condenser and then "phone a friend" @tornadoalleycruiser to plumb those lines.

Battery: ordered new hold down from Amayama

Fan shroud: @kc_chevota is making this for me, but he has more pressing things right now.

Fan wiring: need to get the two wires out of the PSI harness out to the engine to drive the Volvo fan, and get the power feeds done.

I do love lists, so here is the other stuff I am accumulating parts for.

finish welding sliders

assemble and weld 4x4 labs rear bumper

mount ARB twin compressor

twin sticks - calling @Orange right now....

wiring up the transfer case

wiring up new high tail lights

wiring rear camera

install new stereo

install lower door things and speakers

Slider progress.

EA4CC2E8-7876-447A-B6D5-C00C61AE785E.jpeg

0C6479E7-336B-4DF4-B98B-04620ACBDE64.jpeg

4F6D1B84-092E-420A-82BF-532127615A26.jpeg

Welding up….

529AEC7E-42E0-4C1E-84D1-F005FDAE9565.jpeg

Anyone done a write up of changing from the old spain lights to the standard tail lights?

Is there a good harness to buy, or should I just start soldering wires?

I just did this myself. I purchased two 81555-60480 tail light socket sets off an HZJ73 (you can get left and right, but I just purchased two of the same). I removed the old lights and tracked the wire run down to where they fit on the bumper, then made a chart of what wire color controlled what on both the bumper and new light sockets. I did have to run two wires on the left side and three on the right side up from the bumper to the sockets. Not a horrible job. There are rubber grommets near the base of the tail light socket for the wires to run, just untape them, add your new wires and retape.

Looks so much better in my opinion. Also way more visable when you are braking.

1647451040919.png

Okay, so this is pretty bad chicken scratch so I am sorry. I didn't know I would be sharing it with anyone. I used some spare 16g wire I had in the garage to make the new sections (yellow & yellow/brown on the DS and red, yellow & yellow/brown on PS) and soldered them in. There looks like a spot in the factory harness inside the walls just after the tail light pocket where you could put in a harness using OEM connectors, but I couldn't find the correct ones. I just did a splice and soldered there and did the same thing down below at the bumper. Then heat shinked/taped it up.

Let me know if it doesnt make any sense (it might not, it was just for me to understand what to connect to what)

1647474272300.png

1647474420062.png

awesome!!! This makes it so much easier.

Thanks,

I am just curious how the wires are shared from the taillights in the body to the taillights in the bumper from a factory way? I did mine in a different way but couldn't ever tell how it was done from a factory perspective. I guess it is just all from the main harness?

I have blown out the second set of bumper lights in my aftermarket bumper and they are LEDs with resistors wired in. Can't figure it out.

Last edited:
I am just curious how the wires are shared from the taillights in the body to the taillights in the bumper from a factory way? I did mine in a different way but couldn't ever tell how it was done from a factory perspective. I guess it is just all from the main harness?

I have blown out the second set of bumper lights in my aftermarket bumper and they are LEDs with resistors wired in. Can't figure it out.

1647540273531.png

Looking at that chart there look to be factory plugs that 81555-60480 would plug into, but its not showing the part numbers unfortunately.

View attachment 2955057

Looking at that chart there look to be factory plugs that 81555-60480 would plug into, but its not showing the part numbers unfortunately.

I cheated and am using the plugs in the middle tool box (there are 3 of them in that box and I just swapped out the OEM plugs with aftermarket ones that have a hole).

Last edited:
I just realized I am adding trailer light kit,

Amazon product ASIN B001GBJQSO
So I assume it will plug in where I circled below. Stock, there was only one wire going up to the pass side, and two to the driver side (plus ground) stock...

1647541465254.png

On totally another note... decided to order a soft top from @4060seriesnut after talking with @FJBen.

They are going to make the side windows like the stock with velcro and zippers to be able to roll them up.

Very excited, and I will post up how the install goes and the quality of the product.

On totally another note... decided to order a soft top from @4060seriesnut after talking with @FJBen.

They are going to make the side windows like the stock with velcro and zippers to be able to roll them up.

Very excited, and I will post up how the install goes and the quality of the product.

Yep,
That’s the way to go I think with roll up Windows. I need to get mine figured out.

Keep making little bits of progress, not a lot of time on my hands right now….

Got stainless exhaust welded up.. waiting on muffler, so just got it back to the transfer case at this point and all on driver side.

83155EF8-CB4D-48ED-A570-A809D345C14D.jpeg

sliders are welded and ready for powdercoating

B82AEDF9-B213-4285-B419-AE4A4059AE0D.jpeg

thanks to @cjmoon I got a brake pedal from an 80 series, so will cut and weld the top of the 70 series to the bottom of the 80 series piece.....

8FB9DFA8-18E3-41E0-8E1B-D3CAF2CD7D3F.jpeg

And @kc_chevota bent me up an aluminum shroud for the Volvo fan to work...

2075B414-E119-4BEE-987A-0AAFC0B57C6B.jpeg

Okay, so this is pretty bad chicken scratch so I am sorry. I didn't know I would be sharing it with anyone. I used some spare 16g wire I had in the garage to make the new sections (yellow & yellow/brown on the DS and red, yellow & yellow/brown on PS) and soldered them in. There looks like a spot in the factory harness inside the walls just after the tail light pocket where you could put in a harness using OEM connectors, but I couldn't find the correct ones. I just did a splice and soldered there and did the same thing down below at the bumper. Then heat shinked/taped it up.

Let me know if it doesnt make any sense (it might not, it was just for me to understand what to connect to what)

View attachment 2954394

View attachment 2954396

Got the turn signal harness, so digging into this project again... What are the old existing upper side lights for? On the pass side there is one bulp and the driver, two. I can't get them to operate. I know one is reverse - maybe two of them, which I don't have wired up yet in my transmission. I thought the other was a fog light; however, I can't figure out how to turn it on. I know there is a switch on the dash -- does the headlights or something have to be on as well for this to work? Note: I did pull the front bumper off as well, so do they need to be plugged in as well?

European park lights? They needed outside lights on in park I believe

I just did this myself. I purchased two 81555-60480 tail light socket sets off an HZJ73 (you can get left and right, but I just purchased two of the same). I removed the old lights and tracked the wire run down to where they fit on the bumper, then made a chart of what wire color controlled what on both the bumper and new light sockets. I did have to run two wires on the left side and three on the right side up from the bumper to the sockets. Not a horrible job. There are rubber grommets near the base of the tail light socket for the wires to run, just untape them, add your new wires and retape.

Looks so much better in my opinion. Also way more visable when you are braking.

View attachment 2954002
There are various versions of upper tail light combos left/right around, depending on market and vehicle options. You might have...
- Indicators yellow lens (well a lowbrainer),
- Reverse white lens; may be one side only, if there is a rear fog on the other side.
- Optinal: Rear fog, red lens, big, one side only. I only know combos with one foglight in exchange for the respective reverse light. That's the common EU setup. Never saw two rear foglights or build-in foglight with two build-in reverse lights.
- non-illuminating reflector, red
- Rear and Stop, red lens, both sides, two bulbs in one reflector.

Foglights front and rear both have a respective switch on the dash. In EU, the foglights must only come on in addition to the driving light.
This is a EU setup without rear fog. (Probably an aftermarket unit, so the cable color codes may be not original).
Screenshot_20220331-174629_eBay Kleinanzeigen.jpg

Screenshot_20220331-174646_eBay Kleinanzeigen.jpg

And the rear of my LHD EU-spec truck, with the rear foglight and respective one reverse light.
20220331_175508.jpg

I have no idea on specific setup for US or Japan market.
Maybe this helps?
Good luck Ralf

- Reverse white lens; may be one side only, if there is a rear fog on the other side.
- Optinal: Rear fog, red lens, big, one side only. I only know combos with one foglight in exchange for the respective reverse light. That's the common EU setup. Never saw two rear foglights or build-in foglight with two build-in reverse lights.
- non-illuminating reflector, red

Beat me to it. Looks like that is correct. There should be reverse on either side and I believe a low vis/fog light on the one side.

1648743367504.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom