Builds Let's Baseline my new to me 1993 Land Cruiser (12 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mail it! If my s*** wasn’t in troubleshooting mode right now, I’d send him mine
Slow down everybody. Let me try my PRC VAFM wonder part out. I don't even think my VAFM is the culprit here, but I'l willing to give this a whirl so I can go remote for spring break and get a few minutes away with the family.

But I do appreciate all the love. Thanks cruiser people. It's good to be here.

And apparently I should learn how to rebuild these mother ****ers so I can be useful to the cruiser community and keep the cult of 93-94 alive.

I don’t disagree. I was hoping to get lucky and see something obvious. I am not ruling out an internal break in that wire harness. I still think it could be one of my injector connectors making poor contact, but I’ll going to rule out some other things next.

I’ll wrap up the harness tomorrow (easy to say-harder to do) and start testing my components with my new DMM. I now have a set of 10’ retractable test leads so I actually can chase down continuity of the ECM wires.

Long leads aren't needed to do testing.

A short jumper to ground on one end of the wire. Use the meter and probe the other end to ground.

It's how we shoot wires on the plane.

A short jumper to ground on one end of the wire. Use the meter and probe the other end to ground.

:doh:

That’s what I use safety wire for

It’s up to Greg. I need it back for a road trip second week in May.
Mail it! If my s*** wasn’t in troubleshooting mode right now, I’d send him mine

It’s up to Greg. I need it back for a road trip second week in May.

That’s a very kind gesture.
You guys are awesome. Thanks for all this support. Don't mail me anything...especially if you are on a timeline. You've read this thread right?!?

Seriously thanks. I’ll reach out desperately when the time comes.

Well I have another suspect in my hesitation. When I pulled the EGR valve to better access my wire if puzzle, I noticed two little uncapped vacuum fittings on the TB. I believe they are for the EGR vacuum modulator and I never capped them. They didn’t suck in any starting fluid when I misted the TB area, but the engine was at idle, and I think they activate under load….but I’m not sure about that. So it’s possible there was some unmetered air coming in. I’m not sure that this would cause my issue, but regardless I have those ports caped up now.

I’ll be pulling the TB again to wrap that wire harness. I’m going to inspect the TP sensor and the IAC valve while I’m in there.

Those ports are located such that they do pull vacuum while at cruise to open the EGR valve. Should be no vacuum signal there under other circumstances. I think you’ve got this licked.

Those ports are located such that they do pull vacuum while at cruise to open the EGR valve. Should be no vacuum signal there under other circumstances. I think you’ve got this licked.
That’s what I’m hoping. I also cleaned them out when I went after decades of oily carbon in the TB and intake. Might have made things worse!

Managed to get the main harness all wrapped up. One layer of 3m super 88, one layer of high heat Tesa Tape, and fire sleeve over the exposed Tesa tape. It made a huge difference disconnecting the harness from the firewall and unhooking the heater control valve, to be able to get enough room to wrap the harness up.

Got the EGR bolted back up, but I had to stop there and fetch my kids.

Miracles happen, I got it all buttoned up and started it up. But I’ll have a better sense of I’ve solved my problem tomorrow when I cruise the land, grab a Starbucks and hit the mall.

If I didn’t solve it with these little uncapped vacuum hard lines, my new VAFM arrives tomorrow. And my oscilloscope.

I’m still trying.

Have you thought of picking up a smoke machine to check for intake leaks? There are so many drivability threads on this website that could be solved quickly with the use of a smoke tester. Spraying parts cleaner all over your engine only gets you so far.

Have you thought of picking up a smoke machine to check for intake leaks? There are so many drivability threads on this website that could be solved quickly with the use of a smoke tester. Spraying parts cleaner all over your engine only gets you so far.
I’ll happily admit my ignorance here. But I’m gonna research smoke machines now to check the intake.

So I have about couple of hours of in town driving after finding the uncapped Vacuum hard lines and I’m tentatively optimistic.
I’m going to do a few more things assuming my issue does not return.
  • I’m going to recheck my timing. It’s set to 3* TDC. I haven’t advanced it at all, but I don’t really understand the pros and cons of doing that.
  • I’m going to go ahead and buy a new air intake hose. Mine is still intact, but it’s a toyota part, so I assume it’s original. I also assume that these will not be available forever. This part has lasted nearly 30 years. In 30 years I’ll be 72, and I’ll need a ladder to climb in my cruiser.
  • I’m going to bolt the factory skid plates back on. I can’t see any oil leaks from the front main seal or the oil pump cover o-ring. Dipstick shows a constant level. I’m thrilled.

So I have about couple of hours of in town driving after finding the uncapped Vacuum hard lines and I’m tentatively optimistic.
I’m going to do a few more things assuming my issue does not return.
  • I’m going to recheck my timing. It’s set to 3* TDC. I haven’t advanced it at all, but I don’t really understand the pros and cons of doing that.
  • I’m going to go ahead and buy a new air intake hose. Mine is still intact, but it’s a toyota part, so I assume it’s original. I also assume that these will not be available forever. This part has lasted nearly 30 years. In 30 years I’ll be 72, and I’ll need a ladder to climb in my cruiser.
  • I’m going to bolt the factory skid plates back on. I can’t see any oil leaks from the front main seal or the oil pump cover o-ring. Dipstick shows a constant level. I’m thrilled.
You forgot:
- return the POS chinese s*** VAF

You forgot:
- return the POS chinese s*** VAF
Why? I’m gonna run it. It’s good data for this 93-94 crew. Plus then I can have a spare when I want to get the original one rebuilt someday.

Order in to @NLXTACY for some patches.

And a new air intake. And 100 series pads for the front. And some combination meter bulbs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom