Builds Let's Baseline my new to me 1993 Land Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very Bourgie
Yep. It’s not Walmart stuff. It’s also head and shoulders above most stuff at REI, especially for anything designed for 3+ people….But it doesn’t have any built in party lights, iPad holders or speakers (all a real thing)…so I still sleep at night. I think backcountry hunters are pushing shoulder season outdoor gear into great places, so I’m eager to purchase from innovators. My hot tent was a huge purchase, but my wife and I had been thinking about one for many years. My BIL got a small one and has done a few winter snow bikeing camping trips….he likes to suffer too.

I enjoy shoulder season camping because it’s hard…small suffering. This allows me less crowded camping. I’ve never wanted to hang out in the woods and listen to top 40 hits, good for you if that’s your thing. I’m out there because I hate being stuck here.

….might be time to move my life to out there for good.

Update (pretty minor):

Been head down with a couple of life projects and my pops. But I did just send @NLXTACY a heap of cash for a QPM. Gonna mount that ARB twin compressor and finish this gear locker project….maybe once it’s June. that timing should work well for the QPM timeline, as they are awaiting powder coating, which could take some time. I’m just thrilled I could get on the list.

Update

The Land Cruiser is resting happily in my driveway as I type this. I've been away from 'mud doing a myriad of grownup s***. Most of this past 3 months has been at the bedside of my Father who passed away 4 weeks ago. I was able to sit with him nearly every day since February as he slid into the abyss of his rapidly increasing Alzheimer's, until he ultimately passed with my sister and I at his bedside holding him as he drew his last breath and found peace--and hopefully an afterlife full of whisky and chocolate. Don't be sad 'mud folks. My pops had a pretty amazing life, made lots of mistakes, and did his best to make them right. He was always on me about keeping my "machines" properly maintained, so my journey into this LC "baseline" helps me connect with that process in a great way. Let the therapy wrenching continue.

I still have a service cart with 4.88 gears, install kits, ARB air lockers and twin compressor and the magic dial to get installed on this cruiser. So at some point I'll take those axles apart and get those gears installed. I'm going to try and swap the Birfields R to L as I have an intermittent clicking noise. I'll also eventually get the castor thing sorted, order some sliders and a winch. Heck maybe I'll splurge get the front seats fixed up as they are really experiencing some cracking and slow disintegration. If I'm feeling really crazy I might get the roof rack holes welded up and my rust spots solved by a proper body shop....someday.

I might even take the thing on a trail that it is actually capable of, but Starbucks is so much closer.

Oh and I also may have gotten distracted...

00000_5lTdTy0wr3wz_0wg0oc_600x450.jpg

This is my new whip. 1990 DLX Extended Cab Pickup. 22-RE, 5-speed manual. Simple as the day is long. 279K. New transmission 15K ago. New 30" tires 1k ago. New suspension 3 years ago. Fresh Starter, plugs, wires, stainless exhaust header and new exhaust 2 years ago... and the dirtiest K&N filter I've ever seen. Custom cedar ladder rack is now firewood. Sale included a set of toyota plugs, a new jug of toyota red coolant, the 1990 Pickup FSM, 6 years of service records, and some fresh tire chains.

The truck is designated as our "chore truck" but it is so much fun to rally around town that Ive been driving the heck out of it for the past 3 weeks. It has a few issues, R front caliper is not functioning, and it has some serious 22RE valve ticking, the most disgusting carpet I've ever seen, and my own custom wooden tailgate, so I'll probably start a thread over in the mini truck section. I just needed you all to know I also like straight 4 cylinder engines too.:flipoff2:

I'll post up some more Land Cruiser stuff as soon as I can get to working on it. Nice to be back around these parts.

Thanks for the kind words. And to be clear the model name pre-95 is "pickup". Tacos are for eating!:flipoff2:

Greg, I figured something was up with your pops. Strength and honor for his passing to you and his loved ones.

Sweet truck dude. I’ve always wanted one since I was in high school. Good on you for grabbing one!

I don't wish what you've just gone through on anybody, but it sounds like you're out the other side and doing well all things considered. I've been mildly keeping my eyes open for the non-4x4 version of that truck for my co-worker.

Ham Radio Project

I've got some pretty cool friends. A few years ago, a good friend of mine handed me a little Baofeng radio and a home study course and "no excuses, go get your license". I did. Fast forward several years later and he handed me a Kenwood V71a dual band mobile and some other gear. I've been planning to install this into my rig for a couple of years, but I finally ordered the last of the parts I need to mount and install it.

I've had some time on my hands since my whole family is down with COVID at the moment. So plenty of time to catch up on reading, 'mud scrolling and internet shopping. I'm hoping that I'll actually be feeling better when the rest of my parts arrive so I can start to mount the radio body and remote face. I'm planning on mounting the radio behind the passenger dash speaker, and the remote head up by the sun roof controls. I purchased a Front Runner antenna mount, but im not sure if I'll have it towards the front of the passenger side or the back. I currently have a HiLift Jack mount there from the PO which I do not like. It puts the heavy jack up high. I have been using the 4x4 labs swing mount without complaints. Looking to sell that FR jack mount at some point.

Anyhow, once I begin the process I'll post up some pics, but now I'm gonna go crawl back into bed.

Getting Distracted..

I’m chasing a leak on my little truck. Fender is off, carpet is torn out. A hot mess! Radio parts have all arrived, but school has ended. This means I am full time kid rodeo!

Here is the link to my other thread. Gonna get crafty with my signature soonish and put them there.

Got an excellent email today from @NLXTACY…
F2ACF72E-1844-484A-B5B5-210D4298ADC9.png

Running out of excuses to not go my gears and air locker install…

Nice dude!! Can I buy it off you? Thanks. Checks in the mail.
Man, these are hard to get, but I’m open to trades for a 70 series pickup…a Steve Irwin special.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom