Driving home from Maaco saw smoke, looks like top radiator hose popped off….can this be fixed?! (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just got her back from maaco she looks great was looking forward to putting her back together and getting you guys some pics but she was smoking on the way home. Pulled her into the warehouse and saw coolant all over the engine and some leaking from the bottom. Looks like this hose from the top of radiator just completely disintegrated and popped.

You guys know my half banana ass can’t do anything without playing 20 questions first. How would I go about fixing this? Pop one of the connectors from my washer hose kit in there and clamp it back up??

D5313A21-1CD5-4ED2-A854-2EB4E590385A.jpeg

785379FF-F7EA-460E-9CBB-0CC64394C84D.jpeg

Someone likely leaned on it and broke. May have been cracked a while back and finally broke free
Pretty common occurrence. Hence the market for nipple guards lol

Some have just epoxied it back but I think pretty high failure rate.

Some have drilled tapped and epoxied in a threaded barbed metal fitting.

Many have bought new rads for leaning on that guy.

I’d try the epoxy and threaded barb if not replacing the radiator.

Someone likely leaned on it and broke. May have been cracked a while back and finally broke free
Pretty common occurrence. Hence the market for nipple guards lol

Some have just epoxied it back but I think pretty high failure rate.

Some have drilled tapped and epoxied in a threaded barbed metal fitting.

Many have bought new rads for leaning on that guy.

I’d try the epoxy and threaded barb if not replacing the radiator.

100% that's what happened, probably when they changed the valance. Damn it....thank you.

So the plastic hose connector thingys left over from my windshield washer hose job probably wouldn't be the best option here right.....?

Get a appropriately sized threaded barb fitting from off the shelf at the auto parts store or home depot plumbing section. Drill the hole out bigger to screw it in, if you want you can use some JB weld around the top of the threads to make it a bit more permanent/ sealed up.

Get a appropriately sized threaded barb fitting from off the shelf at the auto parts store or home depot plumbing section. Drill the hole out bigger to screw it in, if you want you can use some JB weld around the top of the threads to make it a bit more permanent/ sealed up.

Doing exactly that as we speak but got some pics first of the paint job....

BTDT... Leaned in while doing a fan clutch and broke the nipple. Plugged the radiator side with a sheet metal screw and JB weld, and the hose side with a bolt inserted in the hose with a hose clamp around it. This held up fine for a few days of driving until I could source a new radiator.

However you fix it, once finished you need one of these. Well worth the investment.

Nipple Guard for FJ80/FZJ80 Landcruiser or LX450 | Etsy - https://www.etsy.com/listing/701325550/nipple-guard-for-fj80fzj80-landcruiser?click_key=c079cacacdaeae5a58568e07ba2880535aebf7b9%3A701325550&click_sum=39471128&ref=shop_home_active_24&frs=1

Niple Guard 2.jpg

Welcome to the club, buck-o.

I suggest a new radiator and a nipple protector from @Outsane. That’s what I did.

Agree with above. Take it back to the shop immediately, call them immediately even if they're closed today, leave a voice mail mesage, slide a note under their door today. Tell them you noticed it as soon as you got home.

Agree with above. Take it back to the shop immediately, call them immediately even if they're closed today, leave a voice mail mesage, slide a note under their door today. Tell them you noticed it as soon as you got home.

I stuck a nice shiny barb in there, clamped the other end and JB welded it......all set not in the mood for all that just want to make progress on this pig!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom