$2300 Quote from Maaco....what do you guys think? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah, and he calls those people at any time of day, any day of the week......... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Ya gotta read my sig line........
You bet I do....I keep all of our conversations at the ready. I don't want to ask the same thing twice :) thanks, mentor.

You bet I do....I keep all of our conversations at the ready. I don't want to ask the same thing twice :) thanks, mentor.

Don't worry I've employed a few of them myself here! I recently wired up my TPMS and changed all my interior lights to LED's, I think I sent a couple dozen PM's driving someone nuts in the process haha

But hey they helped immensely, they helped graciously and taught me a lot.....I won't forget that!

Last edited:
ha, who knows what you really need... You should definitely ask the mud collective on that though. :)

@Francis K

My logs include parts, lubricants, etc. you name it. I only track tools if they are for the 80 only or live on-board like the toolkit that I added, etc.

Keeping such logs may be a bad idea for most folks and ruin the fun. I've worked through a few multi-year projects / restorations and track all parts/spend/hours etc. on large projects out of habit at this point.

Overall the cost to operate an 80 is definitely higher than a simple, old econobox but I think it compares favorably to buying a newer rig with a higher up front and insurance costs. The cost of the labor to baseline a derelict is pretty interesting to consider though. I enjoy the labor most of the time, my family at least tolerates it, I have no way to accurately quantify it...

I hear that and I see it all as sunk costs anyway, it's not so much of me trying to put a damper on the hobby but I think it would help put things into perspective for someone like me looking to pick up an 80. When I say "someone like me", I mean someone who was already intimately familiar with 80's but decided to pick one up that was a project and learn everything as he goes while still having to pay for some labor for things I can't do or don't have the tools for......

I hear that and I see it all as sunk costs anyway, it's not so much of me trying to put a damper on the hobby but I think it would help put things into perspective for someone like me looking to pick up an 80. When I say "someone like me", I mean someone who was already intimately familiar with 80's but decided to pick one up that was a project and learn everything as he goes while still having to pay for some labor for things I can't do or don't have the tools for......
So, I need to DEDUCT the cost of therapy since that's a big part of what I use my 80 for. Both in the seat windshield time as well as working on it.

It gives me a sense of satisfaction, project completion, closure, accomplishment, success, and it makes it so I don't have to listen to others the entire time.

I think there's a cost offset there somewhere......

So, I need to DEDUCT the cost of therapy since that's a big part of what I use my 80 for. Both in the seat windshield time as well as working on it.

It gives me a sense of satisfaction, project completion, closure, accomplishment, success, and it makes it so I don't have to listen to others the entire time.

I think there's a cost offset there somewhere......

It's definitely been a hobby I have enjoyed so far especially with dead boring cold michigan right now. Learning new skills and just like you said the sense of accomplishment when something goes right, it's very fulfilling. The past few weeks I have turned down multiple friends and girls trying to get together saying I was staying in my warehouse working on the truck as I would much rather have been doing that. A lot of the things I have done on the truck I didn't expect to tackle myself but I wanted them done correct and wanted them done ASAP, I'm very happy and surprised it's turned into such a hobby and I'm looking forward to getting more done. When I first picked her up I planned to just give someone else a list and a high five of encouragement along with a wad of bills, very happy I didn't end up doing that. Mind you I don't weld, don't have a tire machine and I didn't want to tackle the paint myself but once those are done then it's all on me and I'll be happy to figure the rest out. Something large mechanical where I don't have the experience or tools that is one thing and I have a very trustworthy guy that actually cares for that who works out of his garage but other than that I'm planning on doing it. I regret even taking it to the speaker shop, I should have figured that out myself I probably would have done a better job anyway. I started with this mindset where if I did it myself it wouldn't be done correctly so it's better to let a "pro" do it, but that has definitely not been the case it's actually the complete other way around.

My last 80 was completely one owner stock and I wish I was in a mind set to do all the stuff I'm doing now, I never ever would have even considered selling it.

It's definitely been a hobby I have enjoyed so far especially with dead boring cold michigan right now. Learning new skills and just like you said the sense of accomplishment when something goes right, it's very fulfilling. The past few weeks I have turned down multiple friends and girls trying to get together saying I was staying in my warehouse working on the truck as I would much rather have been doing that. A lot of the things I have done on the truck I didn't expect to tackle myself but I wanted them done correct and wanted them done ASAP, I'm very happy and surprised it's turned into such a hobby and I'm looking forward to getting more done. When I first picked her up I planned to just give someone else a list and a high five of encouragement along with a wad of bills, very happy I didn't end up doing that. Mind you I don't weld, don't have a tire machine and I didn't want to tackle the paint myself but once those are done then it's all on me and I'll be happy to figure the rest out. Something large mechanical where I don't have the experience or tools that is one thing and I have a very trustworthy guy that actually cares for that who works out of his garage but other than that I'm planning on doing it. I regret even taking it to the speaker shop, I should have figured that out myself I probably would have done a better job anyway. I started with this mindset where if I did it myself it wouldn't be done correctly so it's better to let a "pro" do it, but that has definitely not been the case it's actually the complete other way around.

My last 80 was completely one owner stock and I wish I was in a mind set to do all the stuff I'm doing now, I never ever would have even considered selling it.
I have a LOT of years of wrenching myself on everything. I have always been willing to try anything once. I have learned that the things I don't want to do or shouldn't do any more.

I don't want to do: Set up differential gears, rebuild automatic transmissions.
Things I shouldn't do: Body work, paint

Things I don't like doing, but am unwilling to pay some meathead to do: Exhaust work, brakes

What's left?

I own the tools to do most everything, as I learned what I'm good at and what I shouldn't probably touch again.

I will do anything mechanical and I do all my own work except body, paint, and automatic transmissions. I do some electrical, but stereo systems still befuddle me unless there's a pre-made harness. I can do lighting, ignition, door and interior wiring. I've even done some upholstery, but that's one I need better tools to make it look right.

I have a LOT of years of wrenching myself on everything. I have always been willing to try anything once. I have learned that the things I don't want to do or shouldn't do any more.

I don't want to do: Set up differential gears, rebuild automatic transmissions.
Things I shouldn't do: Body work, paint

Things I don't like doing, but am unwilling to pay some meathead to do: Exhaust work, brakes

What's left?

I own the tools to do most everything, as I learned what I'm good at and what I shouldn't probably touch again.

I will do anything mechanical and I do all my own work except body, paint, and automatic transmissions. I do some electrical, but stereo systems still befuddle me unless there's a pre-made harness. I can do lighting, ignition, door and interior wiring. I've even done some upholstery, but that's one I need better tools to make it look right.

My next task that I'm clueless about I'm actually researching right now, the PO on my truck decided to rip EVERYTHING out for the antenna.....there is no assembly no wires in there nothing at all in the fender. So what I'm gathering is that I have to go to my aftermarket head unit, see if there is an antenna wire plugged in there and then somehow run it through the fender and hook it up to an aftermarket stubby antenna or something, if not then buy an antenna cable plug it into the back and do all that.

That's going to be a mess I'm sure!

You have any in-progress pics/updates?

Not yet, I’m assuming I’ll be picking her up early next week. Cutting it close here as the lease on my GX expires on the 19th and she still has to go to the welder for the sliders and rear….hopefully he doesn’t take too long.

Worst case scenario I extend the lease another month, its not like i can drive the Ferrari anywhere right now the roads in Michigan are worse than I’ve ever seen them it’s like playing Mario kart but with potholes instead of bananas and the computer players all had unlimited bananas. Or we actually do have an extra vehicle in the family, I bought out my sisters lease on her little crappy Buick crossover so she could make a few bucks on it and we’re waiting on the title to pawn it off to Vroom. I leased her a terrible Nissan Frontier for 18 months dirt cheap until cars come back to level, I could drive that if it comes down to it waiting on my welder to finish up.

The things like the new seats, trim and wiring up new lights I can do in less than a day so there won’t be any down time with them the only thing might be the sound deadening I’m not sure if that is a one day job so I’ll save that for the spring/summer when I can drive the Ferrari for a few days….not exactly something I mind doing 😈

Following! Looking forward to seeing the results as the quote Maaco gave you is more than fair (if the job comes out looking good).

I shopped around for quotes specifically from Maaco recently. Prices varied from $2500 from one owner who sounded like he couldn't care less about painting my truck, to $6500 from another location which did good work and regularly takes on older restoration projects, but seemed a bit desperate for revenue.

I might have missed it, but are you removing any body parts yourself before you take it in to be painted? What was the final estimate, type/brand of paint and clear coat, additives in the paint, ---, and what does it include (or not)?

Last edited:
I might have missed it, but are you removing any body parts yourself before you take it in to be painted? What was the final estimate, type/brand of paint and clear coat, additives in the paint, ---, and what does it include (or not)?

Yessir I stripped her down, estimate is on the first post I scanned it, actually ended up a little cheaper after doing a few things myself

4BFE123C-39C6-49D7-BFBC-11A4A3F61388.jpeg

Are you/they removing the door handles, mirrors, roof rack strips, painting the flares separately, or plugging the fender flare holes, removing glass, painting
the door openings, removing all rubber, sill plates, door lock actuators, underside of hood, or, or ??

Are you/they removing the door handles, mirrors, roof rack strips, painting the flares separately, or plugging the fender flare holes, removing glass, painting
the door openings, removing all rubber, sill plates, door lock actuators, underside of hood, or, or ??

Door handles and mirrors yes, don’t care about the strips and I don’t want the flares painted. I already had the holes plugged and no they’re not removing the glass nor are they doing jams or under hood.

Brother it’s a 2100 paint and body job on a 25 year old truck!

I understand, point is it might be interesting to know the details for the future.
Without details it would be difficult to compare different paint jobs, prices,
quality, etc,etc.
FWIW

I understand, point is it might be interesting to know the details for the future.
Without details it would be difficult to compare different paint jobs, prices,
quality, etc,etc.
FWIW

Gotchya and yes that’s a very good point, talked to the guy today and he sounded pretty excited to show it to me if that’s any indicator….

Plus besides the paint they really did a lot of body work, they ended up also replacing the front valance which was added to the quote later

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom