Finally got a 100; which lift kit should I get with a 2 to 3K budget (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Short version; 2001 LC all stock, 136K miles, everything seems great and love the ride quality but aesthetically and functionally needs a lift of 2 to 3"

Long version; my 01 4runner has been great but only allows 2 of my kids at a time to have fun, so I just got this 100 after searching quite a long time for the color and condition I needed. Main purpose of it will be for 40% on-road family driving, and 60% truck trail family day trips to enjoy the backcountry of socal and nature learning for my 4 young ones. The ride quality is amazing but need to put a lift on and want to maintain as much of the on road ride quality as possible so I am willing to throw some $$ at it to achieve this. Searching previous posts it seems that manufactures are coming out with new products for the 100 so I am seeking advice on what the current best options would be. I am pretty well versed in wrenching and have a CNC mill, CNC lathe, 2 manual mills and 2 manual lathes, radial arm drill press, whitney combo brake, press brake, auto band saw, welders etc. at home if I need to achieve the goal. Also, open to other mods or accessories you think would help to get it dialed in for its use.

A few options that come to mind:

Just Differentials Kit :

Slee Off-road Kit:

Dobinsons IMS (or IMS/MRA) Kit:

Ironman 4x4 Kit:

(I should probably point out, that in my experience, the more you lift an IFS 100 series, the more the ride quality suffers.)

Last edited:
For the justdifferentials kit, should I also select the option for rear upper and lower arms?

If your adding the ironman, and aren't getting too crazy on the trails, the foam cell is pricey, but the stage 2 is good as well. I went with that and the ride quality of my 2k 100 series was way better, I also added the extended sway bar links for the front and rear, from trial tailor, and installed these at the same time as the ironman setup.

One nice thing about the ironman is it's a plug and play setup. I had a local shop install it all for $500 after some negotiating. LOL

Nitro Gas 2" Lift Kit Suited for Toyota 100 Series Land Cruiser/Lexus LX470 - Stage 2 - https://ironman4x4america.com/nitro-gas-2-lift-kit-suited-for-toyota-100-series-land-cruiser-lexus-lx470-stage-2/

Dobinsons IMS if I were buying today

Turn torsion bars all the way up then Air Lift 1000 in the rear. 2” lift for $100

For the justdifferentials kit, should I also select the option for rear upper and lower arms?

I’ve got three 100 series, one with adjustable rear control arms. I would say with the limited amount of lift available on the 100 series, they’re probably not necessary.

Pro:
(in theory) you can dial in your driveline angles, but few actually take the time to make the effort.

You might get slightly more articulation with some of the fancy joints

Con:
the “adjustment” apparatus adds an additional point of failure.

The typical polyurethane bushings tend to transmit more NVH to the chassis.

It's a Land Cruiser, and stock is more capable than many built rigs. Spacers in the rear with an adjustment of the front torsion bars will get you 285 75 tires comfortably and served us fine in Eastern OR, ID, WA, Moab, AZ, NM, etc. If you really plan to get sassy, I'd go Ironman rather than the OME kit, I much prefer their shocks or the OEM shocks over the OME shocks. If you insist on lifting, and don't want your CV's to spew grease you'll want the clamp kit and a diff drop. Have fun with the family and make some cool memories!

Add one more to the Dobinsons IMS camp.

I get into a lot of rocky water crossing scenarios where the plush yet controlled ride strikes the perfect balance for me. The upper mounted pistons with lower shaft boots protect the shocks from the small rocks that I kick up on the trails.

A 2" front with a 3" rear lift is a must for the type of water crossings that I like to make. The 3" rear lift reduces the chance for the factory receiver hitch from hanging on rocks. It still happens once in a while, but the lift reduces the likelihood of that occurrence.

Now that people have figured out that Dobinsons torsion bars reduce work for the installer, demand has been increasing. DIY types like Dobinsons installation because the bars are pre-marked at the factory before being boxed. Dobinsons do not require fussing around with a straight edge, a sharpie, and counting spline tickmarks for installation.

Demand for Dobinsons product is running high. I think there may be some Black Friday Sales at the moment. @crikeymike

With a product that is in high demand, they do not need to constantly run "circus tent promotions" to sell products.

Considering that I have Dobinsons IMS/MRA on two of ours, and a set of Dobinsons IMS sitting in boxes ready to go on the third, I’d tend to agree.

1637756506123.png

Here's a picture of the protective boot in action.

1637758327937.png

1637758487803.png

Last edited:
There's also been some good reviews of Tough Dog. I bought that awhile ago, but haven't had time to install it yet, so no review to give. I can't remember at the time I made the purchase why I chose TD over Ironman, but both seemed to get more love on this forum than OME. OME is way easier to find, however... probably even in your local 4x4 shops.

I have 20k on my Tough Dog Shocks. They are pretty good overall, but I will say the finish on them is not good. After 5k the Tough Dog Shocks were sand blasted on the bottom and rusting. I painted them with POR-15 on the bottom where they were exposed to road debris and put clear vinyl on them. When looking at the paint it looks like no primer was used underneath it and the paint quality is very poor.

I have had many other brands of shocks and this is the first time I've ever seen this bad of a finish.

I have had many other brands of shocks and this is the first time I've ever seen this bad of a finish.
Same, and not even a good sandblast. More like a harbor freight blasting cabinet being used by a blind man

I have 20k on my Tough Dog Shocks. They are pretty good overall, but I will say the finish on them is not good. After 5k the Tough Dog Shocks were sand blasted on the bottom and rusting. I painted them with POR-15 on the bottom where they were exposed to road debris and put clear vinyl on them. When looking at the paint it looks like no primer was used underneath it and the paint quality is very poor.

Same, and not even a good sandblast. More like a harbor freight blasting cabinet being used by a blind man

Well I guess I have that to look forward to. Maybe before I install the shocks, I'll paint over them or coat them in something... much easier to do than after they're installed.

Well I guess I have that to look forward to. Maybe before I install the shocks, I'll paint over them or coat them in something... much easier to do than after they're installed.
I'd just clean them with some alcohol and put some of the clear 3m rock guard vinyl over the tubes. This would take care of the majority of the chipping, something Tough Dog could have easily done.

I have 40k on my Tough Dogs, and do not have the paint issues. I really like them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom