Which 100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had a 100 years ago (2000 LC) which was great. Now I’m looking to get back into one.

My usage would be a daily driver 90% of the time (usually 5-6k miles per year). Then family camp trips, which would typically be fine in a stock rig with minor mods like roof rack and rear storage.

But a few times a year, I like to head to Moab and my favorite place, SW Colorado.

The trails I go on aren’t hardcore (and I have a Jeep for hard trails) and they can be done stock. But I’d prefer a lift and at least 33’s to do them comfortably with minimal spotting.

So, I first thought a 2nd gen Sequoia would do the job. But it won’t fit well in my garage.
Something like a GX would do great but it won’t fit my family.
So a 100 would be a happy medium, I think.

I’ve been looking at LC/LX in 2003-2007 model years.

I’ve found a couple I am test driving this week.
One is an 04 without AHC (LC)
One is an 06 with AHC (LX)

Both are around 190k miles.

I know the typical checklist of things to look for. But given everything is up to date, I’m contemplating whether I should get the non-AHC then do a lift or if AHC would be more beneficial in my case.

If any of you are in similar situation, I’d love some input. Thanks.

was in a similar situation....went with the 5speed/non-ahc LC.

However, I think the lexus ahc 5 speed version is the ticket in hindsight. From what i heard, ahc is a godsend if in tip-top shape. the lexus comfort will do you good on the daily drive (and more plentiful selection of mall rated rigs).

That's not my story and I'm not sticking to it.

If they salt the roads where you live, I would buy the '04 or at least budget to replace the AHC with stock suspension. If both rigs are non-rusty and they don't salt the roads where you live, then I would buy whichever one is in better overall condition.

Last edited:
With vehicles of this age and mileage, condition is going to be the major differentiating factor between any two vehicles you are comparing. Assuming two vehicles that are in identical condition, seems like other factors that you may want to consider would be 4 speed vs 5 speed, nav vs no-nav, ahc vs non-ahc. lc vs lx, vvti vs not but condition is more likely to be the deciding factor. Each of those have pros/cons (or influence other factors), eg 5 speed is universally preferred but you're likely giving up no-nav to get it.

^ OP said he's looking at '03-'07 which are all 5 speed and NAV. '03 lacks rear view cam, but is last year of trans dip stick making tranny fluid change easy and no AHC (LC). '04-'05 essentially same w/ rear view cam, but sealed trans, no AHC (LC). '06-'07 VVTi with AHC (99%), have some well known SAI issues, and rumored to be interference motor vs. '03-'05.

If you only do easy to moderate trails, AHC is a plus. It's a free lift when needed, and can lower the center of gravity when off camber. (Also more comfortable on highway.) With dollar being strong, you can spend less than $500 to get 4 new AHC globes from Impex Japan and AHC will perform like new. 😍

I like my AHC as I get lift offroad when I want it, but can squat it so that my mother (and other shorter people) can easily get in. See the handy Coors diagram. I know my wife and others would not be happy if I had a 2" lift rather than AHC.

CombinedHeightAnno.jpg

I would pick the 100 with better service records, has a cleaner chassis and drives better... whichever that may be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom