What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (83 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bad news on the AC going out. The guy just called me, leak is in one of the lines going to the rear AC unit, rusted through, not sure what I'm going to do yet. May take it over to a specialty shop and get a quote. Or I may look at just getting rid of the rear AC. I would appreciate any ideas or solutions. I have my son Sequoia until November when he gets his permanent license. Need to get it fixed before then though.

Bad news on the AC going out. The guy just called me, leak is in one of the lines going to the rear AC unit, rusted through, not sure what I'm going to do yet. May take it over to a specialty shop and get a quote. Or I may look at just getting rid of the rear AC. I would appreciate any ideas or solutions. I have my son Sequoia until November when he gets his permanent license. Need to get it fixed before then though.
Search here and you will find how others have dealt with this. You basically have 3 options:
1) Inexpensive: Block off he lines to rear AC. With just the front AC, your rear occupants may not be as comfy but you wallet will still be toasty!
2) Less expensive: Patch up the AC lines with a readily available patch kit. depending upon how much line is compromised, you may have to add additional pipe
3) More expensive: buy the Toyota OEM lines and replace them yourselves
4) Stoopid expensive: take it to a local dealer service or reputable shop and have them replace the lines.

P.S. Yes i know i said 3 options

Search here and you will find how others have dealt with this. You basically have 3 options:
1) Inexpensive: Block off he lines to rear AC. With just the front AC, your rear occupants may not be as comfy but you wallet will still be toasty!
2) Less expensive: Patch up the AC lines with a readily available patch kit. depending upon how much line is compromised, you may have to add additional pipe
3) More expensive: buy the Toyota OEM lines and replace them yourselves
4) Stoopid expensive: take it to a local dealer service or reputable shop and have them replace the lines.

P.S. Yes i know i said 3 options
I agree “4” is not an option. This rig is my DD but rarely have any more than 1 passenger. Will keep you all updated.
Thanks.

Went through this recently. Ended up finding a few leaks in the lines as they fixed one, would pressurize and then cause the next to show itself. Some were hidden under brackets.

The rear AC definitely would added to the overall cost for my fix, if they didn't make good on the labor for not finding the issues in the first assessment [required multiple trips back to the shop].

I intend to have my truck for a while so took on the time and investment to get the whole system fixed for family comfort while traveling. If you don't, then walling out the rear AC is certainly a viable option to save on labor/parts. In total, mine required 4 different lines to be replaced.

Well, after months of working on baseline maintenance, today I took a break to put in fun update when a package finally arrived from White Knuckle. Sliders are on! Snapshot on shipping - I ordered these end of March, so they are slowly burning through the orders.

20210615_221208.jpg

20210615_230358.jpg
20210615_221137.jpg

Last edited:
Got some window visors off amazon and then came in flimsy and fitting like crap, but I should have known for $28. Returned them and with a recommendation off mud I went with WELLVisors. These things are built soo much better. Fit and finish was spot on. View attachment 2022431
Thanks for the post on the visors. Was about to order the cheapo amazon ones for $28 before reading your post. Also ordered the WellVisors.

Actually,

There are four metal screws that attach four metal clips through pre-drilled locations on the deflector.

View attachment 2703882

These clips slide onto the leading edge of the hood and appear to be a very snug fit.

View attachment 2703883

If you look closely above, there are four 1.5" pieces of heavy duty velcro, that are oriented vertically every ~10" across the top of the grill. Mine were already attached to the deflector so all you have to do is remove the protective film and apply pressure to each tape for the deflector to maintain a very firm grip on the hood. The only other applications we made use of the six contact pads for potential vibration/wind gust mitigators at the corners.

Parts received for the install...

View attachment 2703892

If you look closely above, there were no directions included for the installation... :rofl: Special THANKS to @OwnerCS for providing some pics of his installation. His directions were in Russian... :rofl:

I really don't know how I feel about the LEXUS advertisement on the deflector but I imagine a heat gun and a plastic scraper will make short work of it... ;)

Cheers mates,
G

The Lexus logo came with the deflector? I feel like I've been shorted. Mine was just plain. Though I guess it would have needed to be in Russian to match the instructions. LOL

Time for some new tires 🤠
Yes it is!! I was really tempted to hit the larger tires right away, but decided to hit the remaining maintenence items first and will update tires after some big highway miles expected later this month.

Went through this recently. Ended up finding a few leaks in the lines as they fixed one, would pressurize and then cause the next to show itself. Some were hidden under brackets.

The rear AC definitely would added to the overall cost for my fix, if they didn't make good on the labor for not finding the issues in the first assessment [required multiple trips back to the shop].

I intend to have my truck for a while so took on the time and investment to get the whole system fixed for family comfort while traveling. If you don't, then walling out the rear AC is certainly a viable option to save on labor/parts. In total, mine required 4 different lines to be replaced.
Thanks for the feedback, I am going to assess the leaks this weekend and see if patching is an option. The rig spent some time in Pennsylvania and you’ll see from my previous posts I have done a lot getting the rust from the undercarriage.

Thanks for the feedback, I am going to assess the leaks this weekend and see if patching is an option. The rig spent some time in Pennsylvania and you’ll see from my previous posts I have done a lot getting the rust from the undercarriage.
If you're handy w/ AC systems, the lines themselves are relatively affordable - with labor to install and then pull vacuum and all the AC charging being on top of that, but relatively doable by someone. The corrosion at connectors between lines caused replacement in a case or two, in addition to the ruptures/worn areas themselves. Be prepared for that.

I just didn't have time and needed it done prior to planned summer travel - otherwise relatively straight forward work, cost aside.

I've had my rear AC lines capped for like two years. My daughter complains that she is cold in the back seat when I run the AC anyway. It was a pretty inexpensive fix at my local shop and my back seat passenger doesn't even realize there is no "rear AC" and its just the front that is freezing her out.

Picture of things to come...
New OEM Muffler.jpg

Bit the bullet and picked up a new OEM muffler from PartSouq. Mine is on its way out with a growing hole on the bottom in the middle and allow the side at the pinch welds. I place my order on 6/11/2021, it shipped on 6/13/2021, and was at my door around 1140am today (6/16/2021). Their shipping speed and quality of packaging never disappoints. The prices are pretty good as well.

I went with OEM, because the rest of my exhaust system is in great shape and I didn't want anything fabricated using aftermarket components.

I've got a full plate for the next week or so, but then I'll install and post up some install pictures.

Spent about 30 min on my lunch break right now and installed the rear mudflap eliminators from Land Cruiser Products....... found them on this forum, and they fit great!.

The only bad news is that I found a little rust spot hiding behind the driver's side flap. Adding that to my list.

Got my new shift indicator and shifter installed. All parts ordered from PartSouq.

Position Indicator: 35921-60210 (35921-60180 is the correct part # but not available, more info here)
Shifting Hole Bezel: 58843-60010
Shift Lever: 33542-20160-C0
Shift Lock Release Button Cover: 33554-60100

IMG_7994.jpeg

IMG_7989.jpeg

IMG_7978.jpeg

Got my new shift indicator and shifter installed. All parts ordered from PartSouq.

Position Indicator: 35921-60210 (35921-60180 is the correct part # but not available, more info here)
Shifting Hole Bezel: 58843-60010
Shift Lever: 33542-20160-C0
Shift Lock Release Button Cover: 33554-60100
How bad was the install???

How bad was the install???
Very easy install. There is one part that is super tedious where you have to disconnect two wires for the overdrive button and fish it through but I was prepped with a "pin extractor tool" from Amazon and they popped right out. I highly recommend watching this video on YouTube.

Position Indicator: 35921-60210 ($67.01)
Shifting Hole Bezel: 58843-60010 ($5.64)
Shift Lever: 33542-20160-C0 ($146.27)
Shift Lock Release Button Cover: 33554-60100 ($.90)

PartSouq has 1 shift lever in stock, they are also on ebay for slightly more.

Started my timing belt job tonight and ran into a little surprise right at the beginning. I hope this isn’t a sign of bad things to come…..

366E44CC-5481-4C7C-9DB4-67B896E1EB68.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom