fj55 axle conversions to Fj60 HELP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a FJ55 that the axles were converted to FJ60 axles. work was completed by previous owner. question? is this possible to work? I know the fj60 has a front and rear sway bar and my Fj55 does not. also i have fj55 top leaf spring mounts and fj60 low shackle mounts sooo, top mounts and bushings are smaller then the larger fj60 bushings on the bottom of the shackel. . looking for help and also if i should put the sway bars on and need direction where to get the parts. thanks for your help.

So the 60 axles are a pretty common swap to the 55. They are wider than the 55 axles and require you to outboard the front spring mounts on the frame. I, personally, prefer the sway bar just for on road behavior. You should be able to use a 60 rear sway bar with the 55 and just move the bushings inward.

As far as the mounts and bushings, are you saying you have smaller diameter pins on the frame side and larger on the spring side? I'm not sure I understand the question there.

So the 60 axles are a pretty common swap to the 55. They are wider than the 55 axles and require you to outboard the front spring mounts on the frame. I, personally, prefer the sway bar just for on road behavior. You should be able to use a 60 rear sway bar with the 55 and just move the bushings inward.

As far as the mounts and bushings, are you saying you have smaller diameter pins on the frame side and larger on the spring side? I'm not sure I understand the question there.

yes thats correct. the top bushings are fj55 and the lower are the 60s it was a fj60 swap with leaf springs as well. its a mess i have to get out of. looks like i need the entire set up. four upper leaf spring mounts from as 60 as well as front and rear sway bars and all the mounts. any idea where i can get that.

So I don't know that you will need to change anything on the upper mounts. The 55 bushing's are 16mm (ID) from the factory and the 60 bushings are 18mm (ID). That being said, it is easy to get 18mm ID bushings for the 55 mounts, I just bought a set for my truck @cruiseroutfit It honestly sounds like your truck is setup pretty good.

I wouldn't mess with front sway bars, I might have a rear I'll check tomorrow.

So I don't know that you will need to change anything on the upper mounts. The 55 bushing's are 16mm (ID) from the factory and the 60 bushings are 18mm (ID). That being said, it is easy to get 18mm ID bushings for the 55 mounts, I just bought a set for my truck @cruiseroutfit It honestly sounds like your truck is setup pretty good.

I wouldn't mess with front sway bars, I might have a rear I'll check tomorrow.
but because the 55 is smaller then the 60 bushings it looks like its eating the lower bushings up. i could be wrong who knows how long it was done. so maybe just replace all the busihings and keep and eye on it. thanks for the help.

but because the 55 is smaller then the 60 bushings it looks like its eating the lower bushings up. i could be wrong who knows how long it was done. so maybe just replace all the busihings and keep and eye on it. thanks for the help.
plus i think that the upper fj55 mount would need to go over a little since its a little off and not centered with the fj60 leaf springs

If it were mine, I would replace all the bushings and probably the shackles with 60 shackles. Then, like you said, monitor the wear.
60 springs and axles on a pig should do really well, we have done those swaps quite a bit

I have a FJ55 that the axles were converted to FJ60 axles. work was completed by previous owner. question? is this possible to work? I know the fj60 has a front and rear sway bar and my Fj55 does not. also i have fj55 top leaf spring mounts and fj60 low shackle mounts sooo, top mounts and bushings are smaller then the larger fj60 bushings on the bottom of the shackel. . looking for help and also if i should put the sway bars on and need direction where to get the parts. thanks for your help.

I recently did a 55->62 axle swap (nitro/arb innards) on my 1974 fj55. The housings came from my 62 body on 80 chassis project, and the innards came from @theside00

No, you don’t *have to* outboard the spring mounts. Some people do, probably because that’s the way several of the kits do it. I didn’t.
I would run an anti-sway bar, especially if you’ve lifted the truck.

I recently did a 55->62 axle swap (nitro/arb innards) on my 1974 fj55. The housings came from my 62 body on 80 chassis project, and the innards came from @theside00

No, you don’t *have to* outboard the spring mounts. Some people do, probably because that’s the way several of the kits do it. I didn’t.
I would run an anti-sway bar, especially if you’ve lifted the truck.
Good info. Going to change all bushings and try to find a rear sway bar and see how it goes

How did the PO setup the FJ60 axles?
Do you have a set of FJ55 springs to use instead of the FJ60 springs?
Decide on the suspension system first then worry about the sway bar afterwards.

Pictures are always a great way to get your questions and concerns more clear.

How did the PO setup the FJ60 axles?
Do you have a set of FJ55 springs to use instead of the FJ60 springs?
Decide on the suspension system first then worry about the sway bar afterwards.

Pictures are always a great way to get your questions and concerns more clear.
Yes I will take pics tomorrow. No it has the fj60 leafsprings

Yes I will take pics tomorrow. No it has the fj60 leafsprings

You will have to see if the FJ60 spring eyes will accept the FJ55 bushings. I want to say that should work but I’m not positive. You could then use FJ55 shackles. If the spring eye diameters are different, then you’ll have to make some custom shackles with different bolt hole diameters for the lower FJ60 spring eye bolt and the upper FJ55 shackle mount bolts.

I'm a little confused after reading the thread (not unusual for me :)). You have an FJ55 with FJ60 axles and springs and you are driving it this way? So you are asking if what they did is OK? How does it drive?

You're also asking if you should install sway bars and, if so, where to get the parts? Are those the two questions or do I have this all or partly wrong?

I just finished installing, but haven't run my 60 series axles, there are a number of pics in my build - my set up is outboarded perches in the front (had to in order to get the leaf to sit outside the diff), j70 leafs, rear shackle moved back, lots of fussing with OME bushings to get it all together. I also used the stock rear sway bar (per the advice of everybody here), have, but didn't install the front. The rear required welding a mount on the diff and the DS mount being raised a few inches to match.

Are the perches on the front axle moved in to match the width of the 55 frame? If not then I would get all new frame mounts, outboard them to match the 60 axle mount width and then run all the same size bushings. It is the solution that requires the most work but will be the best long term in my opinion.

20210223_073952.jpg
20210223_073947.jpg
20210223_074037.jpg
20210223_074042.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom