300 series rumors??? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Take from this what you will
MSRP

First year of 80 series: $23,488
Last Year of 80 Series: $41,188
First Year of 100 Series: $45,950
Last Year of 100 Series: $56,215
First year of 200 Series: $64,100
Last Year of 200 Series: $85,665

When adjusted for inflation that first year 80 Series would cost $44,995 today.

MSRP

Cars are getting more expensive. It’s not unique to Toyota. They were also not equally appointed.

Last edited:
Cars are getting more expensive. It’s not unique to Toyota. They were also not equally appointed.
I understand that cars are more expensive and I also realize that a 200 series is a much better vehicle than an 80 series. My intent was to illustrate that the uptick in price may contribute to the decline in overall sales of Land Cruisers as a whole. I find the overall increase in price interesting, that's all.
Toyotas have never been cheap and they have always been more expensive than their counterparts from Nissan, Mazda, Mitsubishi Etc. I always felt that they provided a better product though and the difference was justified.

MSRP

I took the time to make this data relevant and adjusted everything for today’s dollars... (didn’t check msrp) and obviously we used different calcs to get here.

1st year 80 series - $47,009
Last year 80 series - $67,128
1st year 100 series - $73,740
Last year 100 series - $70,921
1st year 200 series - $77,878
Last year 200 (today) - $85,665

With the exception of the first and last data points, this seems relatively consistent and likely priced with its market. I’m not sure what the car buying experience/political climate/Toyota’s model range was like in 1990 but I imagine that has more to do with the outlier for the 1st run of 80s than anything else. Given the total drop off in sales by the end of the 100 series’ life I can’t help but think price is a small (but still relevant) factor.

My guess is it has more to do with strong competition at this price point really coming to life in the early to mid 2000s. The land cruiser hasn’t been at the top of any list of metrics (except reliability) since that time. I say that assuming we’re all pragmatic buyers but still huge LC fans.

OA

I took the time to make this data relevant and adjusted everything for today’s dollars... (didn’t check msrp) and obviously we used different calcs to get here.

1st year 80 series - $47,009
Last year 80 series - $67,128
1st year 100 series - $73,740
Last year 100 series - $70,921
1st year 200 series - $77,878
Last year 200 (today) - $85,665

With the exception of the first and last data points, this seems relatively consistent and likely priced with its market. I’m not sure what the car buying experience/political climate/Toyota’s model range was like in 1990 but I imagine that has more to do with the outlier for the 1st run of 80s than anything else. Given the total drop off in sales by the end of the 100 series’ life I can’t help but think price is a small (but still relevant) factor.

My guess is it has more to do with strong competition at this price point really coming to life in the early to mid 2000s. The land cruiser hasn’t been at the top of any list of metrics (except reliability) since that time. I say that assuming we’re all pragmatic buyers but still huge LC fans.

OA
I assume you used CPI or a similar inflation rate? Note that broad inflation measures do not match well with car & truck prices, which have moved up much faster than inflation. This is due to cars having more safety features, better performance and nicer amenities over time. In the case of large SUV’s it is also due to mileage regulations...there is a higher profit margin in big SUV’s because automakers can only sell so many while meeting fleet mileage requirements; as these average mileage regulations have increased, SUV prices have increased above other car prices.

A more useful comparison would be the price of Land Cruisers versus their domestic competition over time. My guess is the price premium % for a LC over a Ford Expedition or Chevy Tahoe, or comparable vehicle in the days of the 80 series LC, in percentage terms hasn’t changed all that much.

I assume you used CPI or a similar inflation rate? Note that broad inflation measures do not match well with car & truck prices, which have moved up much faster than inflation. This is due to cars having more safety features, better performance and nicer amenities over time. In the case of large SUV’s it is also due to mileage regulations...there is a higher profit margin in big SUV’s because automakers can only sell so many while meeting fleet mileage requirements; as these average mileage regulations have increased, SUV prices have increased above other car prices.

A more useful comparison would be the price of Land Cruisers versus their domestic competition over time. My guess is the price premium % for a LC over a Ford Expedition or Chevy Tahoe, or comparable vehicle in the days of the 80 series LC, in percentage terms hasn’t changed all that much.

Keep in mind regulations and safety compliance increase cost as well. I still blame the sequoia. :p

Yep I used a calculator based on CPI. Definitely agree with your points but I have no desire to do the research. My only caveat is moving it to today dollars was a way to take the inflation piece out of the equation (which is a large chunk of the delta).

For the sake of this discussion we can say that all vehicles in the same class were subject to the same regulations at the points in time that we were looking at - making that a wash too. It definitely illustrates that there’s a valid reason for the upward slope in price for LCs over time (which I think is what you’re saying).

Ultimately I was trying to convey that sales numbers have less to do with price on its own, but more to do with the segment in which it competes and perceived value in that segment.

OA

MSRP

As stated above, I don't think prices (despite CPI) are comparable for a few reasons. The better steady metric that's directly comparable are sales which is why I used that. You can go farther and compare prices and sales for the Land Cruiser verses it's market competitor but I have a feeling, at the end of the analysis, it'll be obvious why Toyota is planning on pulling the LC from the US.

But at the end of the day, I'm just a dummy with calculator so what do I know?

Last edited:
I think part of this discontinued effort is a marketing piece. "Offroad" SUVs are the trend and Toyota over did the luxury in their flagship SUV. So it no longer competes with the vehicles of the 40- through 80-series model years. They sell off their remaining inventory, declare it's status as K.I.A. and later re-introduce it at a lower price point.

The reason 4Runners are so popular in the lineup is the price. It's plagued with cheap materials, @ss ugly, and I love it. But you could keep the 300 series in a nice base price point between a 4R and Sequoia. Plus offer goodies only in the LC...

I will also say that the GX came on scene early 2000s...I'm sure that affected sales. I think Toyota needs to evaluate the lineups as a whole and define the roles of each. Too much overlap...

It's like I read reporting package and several analysts shared their opinion of what's going on with sales, price, and volume. Enjoyed reading the insight and analysis.

Im pretty confident its gonna be ugly as all hell.
As long it’s made in Japan!
It could not be worst all useless chevies and Ford junk on the road!

As long it’s made in Japan!
It could not be worst all useless chevies and Ford junk on the road!
Not really questioning the build quality, just think its going to lack style and soul. Probably bloated and resembling the look of happy-meal walmart shopper.

Not really questioning the build quality, just think its going to lack style and soul. Probably bloated and resembling the look of happy-meal walmart shopper.
From the spy photos cosmetically it looks like an evolutionary change. If Toyota didn’t change out the engine they could have called it the 2022-20xx 200-series and I don’t think I would’ve thought twice. IMO the 2016 was a bigger cosmetic leap.

TBH from what I’ve seen this far it looks to me like Toyota was planning for the 300 to come out in 2016 but didn’t have the drivetrain ready so they kept the 200 mechanicals with an updated body and interior.

Plenty of sales in the middle east. The 200 series is everywhere (along with the 79 series pickups).

Edit: Ugh. Just noticed that information was for 2013. Have to see if there are more recent figures. I think there are still plenty of sales based on the numbers that I see.

Perhaps a bit more recent: https://www.esquireme.com/content/5...nd-cruiser-is-the-best-selling-car-in-the-gcc

a huge part of the issue is that Toyota started marketing the 200 in 2021.......

Would be interesting to see the data below with sales of the LX version added to the 100 and 200 sales numbers.

"First year of the 80 Series: 8,507
Last year of the 80 Series: 11,502
First year of the 100 Series: 14,327
Last year of the 100 Series: 3,251
First year of the 200 Series: 3,801
2020 200 Series sales: 3,147"

Screenshot_20210215-104226_Instagram.jpg

I know this isn’t relevant to most people here, but this is what the 2022 GX and GXR stripes look like:
8D6855DE-538C-4926-80A0-C3313946EF36.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom