Couldn't take it any longer, it was time to take a look under my windshield trim (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I can't find post #193. I only see 19 posts before mine.

Click the link I posted "Just scored a 2007 LC", it will take you to page 10 of that thread, scroll down to post #193.

Any list of the parts needed to fix a bad windshield install? Short story is my 2001 LX was whisper quiet when I first purchased it. Soon after my purchase, my windshield got cracked from a rock when I was going through a divorce. I got a new windshield installed soon after the crack but, it has a lot of wind noise. So I would like to fix it right.

I know the glass install shop used screws because I can see a couple of them under the rubber lip.

I know the glass install shop used screws because I can see a couple of them under the rubber lip.

Very common. This is what came off of mine.
WS screws.jpg

Any list of the parts needed to fix a bad windshield install? Short story is my 2001 LX was whisper quiet when I first purchased it. Soon after my purchase, my windshield got cracked from a rock when I was going through a divorce. I got a new windshield installed soon after the crack but, it has a lot of wind noise. So I would like to fix it right.

This goes into some of that. Has part number for larger rivets.

Any list of the parts needed to fix a bad windshield install?

No parts list, but I do have something to add. Since I originally started this thread, other members have sourced wider gauge rubber sleeved rivets that will work if an installer drilled the a-pillar holes too large for the OEM rivets to bite (what happened to me). I would have gone that route had I known there were other options available since I'll eventually get corrosion between the dissimilar metals.

The following from @HoustonFj80 mentions a few rivet options and the thread that @TRLBOSS linked has a ton of information too.

I just finished replacing the windshield on my 99, here are the PN's I used:

75533-60031 Aluminum trim
75534-60021 Aluminum trim
75543-60020 Moulding (rivet covers)
75531-60030 Top gasket
90269-04053 factory rivets (3.2mm)

The previous windshield installation job was a total hack that used larger sheet metal screws in place of the rivets, a combination on these oversized rivets did the job where the factory ones wouldn't grab:

Ford PN: W713819-S900 (4mm)
Toyota PN: 90269-06013 (4.8mm). You'll have to drill out the aluminum trim and file down the rivet head slightly to fit the trim channel.

Last edited:
I had the front windshield tinted and I long story short I have significantly more wind noise on passenger side. I pulled the molding and none of the rivets are connected but the molding was no secured with screws either. I plan on Re-riveting myself - does it look like these are the normal size holes and haven't been altered? The driver side seems to have 3 of 4 rivets in place - only judging that based on the molding which is firmly in place from top down (near engine bay is loose). The passenger side molding was super loose and moves easily with light pressure applied.

20201224_155215.jpg

20201224_155156.jpg

I had the front windshield tinted and I long story short I have significantly more wind noise on passenger side. I pulled the molding and none of the rivets are connected but the molding was no secured with screws either. I plan on Re-riveting myself - does it look like these are the normal size holes and haven't been altered? The driver side seems to have 3 of 4 rivets in place - only judging that based on the molding which is firmly in place from top down (near engine bay is loose). The passenger side molding was super loose and moves easily with light pressure applied.

View attachment 2534307

View attachment 2534308
That rivet hole does not look factory. Appears it's been worn out and the paint removed. The trim in the second picture is in rough shape and the rivet head looks completely trashed. Granted, that 2nd pic is a weird angle. I can't really tell what we're looking at.

The OEM holes should be perfectly round with no cracked paint or surface corrosion showing. The trim should have neat circular holes. The rivet should have a center pin and then a flattened, circular head which pinches down onto the trim.

That rivet hole does not look factory. Appears it's been worn out and the paint removed. The trim in the second picture is in rough shape and the rivet head looks completely trashed. Granted, that 2nd pic is a weird angle. I can't really tell what we're looking at.

The OEM holes should be perfectly round with no cracked paint or surface corrosion showing. The trim should have neat circular holes. The rivet should have a center pin and then a flattened, circular head which pinches down onto the trim.
Ok snagged some new pics. With the exception of one of the holes on the a pillar they all look to be in good shape. Ordered a rivet gun and waiting on rivets

20210101_150021.jpg

20210101_150029.jpg

20210101_150043.jpg

20210101_150054.jpg

^ Looks like you have some prep work to do to keep the cancer from settling in and spreading.

Did you order the Mr. T rivets?

Couple of tricks

1. Have black weatherstrip adhesive on hand and pa dab between the trim and pillar where the rivets will go. Dab some on the rivet also before inserting. And seal over the top of the rivet after it is popped in

2. Have larger diameter rivets on hand if needed as a couple of the holes look a bit wallowed out

3. Have a stack of rivet washers on hand to stack between the top of the rivet and the rivet gun so you can get all the way into the channel ( extends the nose of the gun so the gun + washers are firmly seated against the top of the rivet)

4. Place thin cardboard between the glass and rivet gun - the pop of the gun could conceivably crack the windshield

I've got the Mr. T Rivets, black weather-strip adhesive, and some 3m VHB tape. Also got some rust neutralizer and will spray with rustoleom rust paint and black paint after to address the rust. Looking for some nice spacers to fill the gap on the rivet gun and hope to get this done soon I'll follow back then! I did not get larger rivets, but can do if needed easily.

Couple of tricks

1. Have black weatherstrip adhesive on hand and pa dab between the trim and pillar where the rivets will go. Dab some on the rivet also before inserting. And seal over the top of the rivet after it is popped in

2. Have larger diameter rivets on hand if needed as a couple of the holes look a bit wallowed out

3. Have a stack of rivet washers on hand to stack between the top of the rivet and the rivet gun so you can get all the way into the channel ( extends the nose of the gun so the gun + washers are firmly seated against the top of the rivet)

4. Place thin cardboard between the glass and rivet gun - the pop of the gun could conceivably crack the windshield
I tried to edit my post above but it didn't work. I was able to get 2 of 4 OEM Toyota Rivets installed. This is my first time riveting. One rivet/hole worked great and another I got on the 2nd try. I am thinking a bigger rivet may be in order, as I tried 3 rivets on one hole and couldn't get it to stick. When I removed them they were not scrunching up nice and thick, I was able to pull them out of the windshield fairing/molding with need nose and didn't have to drill.

I also took pics of the DS molding1st pic, silver rivet that doesn't have windshield sealant on it), it looks like these rivets are not Toyota spec and appear to be larger as well? They appear to be all metal and silver heads whereas the toyotas are black. Would you concur?

20210111_164553.jpg

20210111_164538.jpg

If the rivet doesn't have the plastic sheathing, then they are not Mr. T rivets for the Hundys.

I have seen various sized rivets available with the plastic sheathing, but I don't remember where I saw them.

It's probably worth the extra effort to use all sheathed rivets so you can avoid future rust issues around your windshield. If that means removing some of the current ones, so be it. Don't let all of that good work you've done on your rig go to waste!

I wasn’t able to source the larger sheathed rivets when I did mine. Just used the larger aluminum rivets with extra weatherstrip adhesive between the trim and a pillar and covered the head of the rivet as well. No issues for a couple of years now

I wasn’t able to source the larger sheathed rivets when I did mine. Just used the larger aluminum rivets with extra weatherstrip adhesive between the trim and a pillar and covered the head of the rivet as well. No issues for a couple of years now
The tough part is that I don't think you know if there's damage until the next windshield job. There can be a lot of ugly corrosion hidden until that trim and glass come out.

No parts list, but I do have something to add. Since I originally started this thread, other members have sourced wider gauge rubber sleeved rivets that will work if an installer drilled the a-pillar holes too large for the OEM rivets to bite (what happened to me). I would have gone that route had I known there were other options available since I'll eventually get corrosion between the dissimilar metals.

The following from @HoustonFj80 mentions a few rivet options and the thread that @TRLBOSS linked has a ton of information too.

I struggled with additional water leaks even after replacing the windshield and ensuring the side moldings were properly secured with rivets. Ended up having the windshield pulled and took the opportunity to do a mod that another forum member had mentioned but never ended up doing to my knowledge. I installed rivet nuts in the oversized holes. To ensure a water tight seal I used some 3M marine sealant around the rivet nuts when installing, then used thread sealant on the bolts and made a butyl "o-ring" between the trim and body. No more leaks and no wind noise! The best part is it will make removing and installing future windshields much easier, which unfortunately I have to do again since I just got a large crack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom