Series 80 diesel alternator question (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
One of my daily drivers is a 1993 Series 80, fitted with a 1 HD-T diesel by Dave Martin in MT. I notice that when at idle, for example sitting at a light, the charge voltage dips when the engine idles down. Revving it a little makes the headlights brighter.

Does anyone know of a high-output alternator for these engines? I'm familiar with them in marine diesels (Balmar make them, as well as multi-stage regulators) but I've never tried to find one for a truck diesel.

Thanks, in advance, for any useful tips on this.

Another guy approached me for the same thing. From what I could find the highest output from Toyota was 100amps. And that alternator required a different bracket than the 80amp alternator.

I talked with my source and putting together a 150amp kit should be doable but I’m at a disadvantage because I don’t have a truck to evaluate in person.

A common upgrade for the 80 is to fit the 120amp alternator from the 100 series FTE. It requires bracket 16381-17020

I’m not sure the issue you described needs a higher output alternator. It sounds like you might just need a new voltage regulator…..

Last edited:
We're going to check the voltage regulator, the belts, and the output- the current (no pun intended) one is a two-belt unit which I think puts out 80 amperes. We'll do that first and see what we find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom