DIY 4.3 Re-Gear (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for that. I think I've landed on the right shop. Now if only UPS would show up with my axle bearings.

To the exciting part - 4.3 ring gear on the Harrop!

1593217623776.png

Last edited:
These are straight from Eaton, Harrop is not involved with their design or manufacture. Part number for the rear is 14213-1... it should hopefully a be larger unit, whereas the Harrop units were all based on the older Eaton Dana 44 center carrier.

So I looked into this and almost changed my order. Hold that thought.

The newly available Eaton locker for Toyota applications and the 200-series, is still based on the design that Harrop licenses. As far I was able to figure, they're practically or actually identical.

I reached out to Eaton engineering about their new Elocker4 "direct acting" mechanism and they stated they're only for Dana 60/70s. So perhaps available in the future?

The Eaton/Harrop pin/ramp based 4-pinion locker is still the current product, and available in both brands. My Harrop freshly shipped from Australia has both Harrop and Eaton branding on it.

Ultimately, the Harrop was going to get to me first so I decided to keep it. Great to know there's a domestic option now for the same thing. Choose your poison and both are available from the fine people at Cruiser Brothers.

Last edited:
~125k. Both bearings seemed pretty drum tight.

My impression is that these axle bearings are reliable and will handle the long haul well into higher mileages. On particularly heavy rigs or those that have seen some incident or abuse beyond their capacities, will need earlier attention.

Curt seems to be of the opinion these are a somewhat common issue.. though I guess we can’t say for sure that the ones failing were never abused. Either way if yours are good you are probably fine leaving them. I’m with you.. they aren’t that difficult to get out. The problem becomes the other damage that can happen to the ABS pickup and/or housing if a failing bearing isn’t caught early.

great info here folks ! thanks everyone, for all the input! I have a 4.3 I got locally .. they are so cheap, hard to pass up.. I will be going the Eaton/Harrop route as well, so i'm taking notes!

Definitely interested in comparing.

Case diameter on the Harrop is 110mm.

Stock case is 134mm.

Yes, 144 where the spider gears are and tapers down.

Yup, confirmed 110mm. The Harrop has a largely square case where stock is tapered.

Can't disagree that the center section looks small. You got my curiosity piqued. Inspecting things more, there are other dimension at play and the difference may not be as much as first appears.

I think we're all assuming that the physical outer case represents the size of the guts internally and hence overall strength. That doesn't seem to be the case (sorry, pun). External dimensions would not be the primary critical dimension. The first clue is that the spider gears are inset on the OEM case substantially more. Whereas the Harrop are just about flush against the inside of the case

It's hard to measure directly without fully dismantling the diff, so these aren't exact, but what I could discern.

Measuring the side gear
OEM - approximately 82-90mm depending on whether this is measuring the base diameter or extents of the teeth.
Harrop - approximately 76mm, and the extents of the teeth are square with the base.
Win - OEM side gear is larger by a difference of 1/4" - 1/2" (6-14mm) depending on how one looks at it.

Case design
OEM - bolt through 2 piece unit with large cutouts and a seam at the spider gear shafts
Harrop - single piece case
Wash - Harrop single piece could potentially lend more stability and strength to compensate for being dimensionally smaller

Can't really get any measurements of the spider gear, but they are both 4 pinion designs.
Can't differentiate the materials, but OEM is cast, with Harrop being machined nodular iron

Other interesting aspects
- 200-series case is identical to the 100-series. No need to change a design that has proven the test of time.

TL;DR - Harrop may look smaller, but the critical dimensions are only incrementally smaller. There may be other design aspects of the Harrop that compensate for dimensional strength. Fortunately, proof in the pudding and I've not heard of any mechanical failures. Performance, no contest as the Harrop can lock.

1593389324314.png

1593389582708.png

Last edited:
Another +1 for Pro Gear. Just had them regear my LC with 4.88's and harrups about four weeks ago. Totally satisfied with the results.

Currently traveling back to the east coast and no issues yet.

Are you doing front and rear, lockers or rear only? I had a local 4x4 shop tell me that they'd only recommend a rear locker, which makes me wonder if they are giving good advice. Any insight into one way or the other?

Are you doing front and rear, lockers or rear only? I had a local 4x4 shop tell me that they'd only recommend a rear locker, which makes me wonder if they are giving good advice. Any insight into one way or the other?
Not sure if this was for the OP or not, I went with front and rears since the fronts needed to be changed out anyways with the new gears. Plus I got a great deal from East Coast gears on a set of Harrups.

Skipped a couple days there while I waited for the UPS man to deliver my Yota bearings and seals. Covid delays probably.

Looked into getting the diff built professionally by Pro-gear, but they are backlogged a few weeks out. Covid good for project car business?, likely. I've got time and tools. Diving in. @OTRAMM again with another master class in online tutorials.

Got the carrier setup with new tapered pinion bearing races. Magic tools needed are brass drift to knock them out. Bearing driver to drive in.
1593572849915.png

Last edited:
Working on the carrier side bearings. The bearing needs to be driven past the snout of the case. Not by much, probably 2mm. I don't have the right size pipe/socket/fixture to do the job. And can't drive from the bearing cage.

Came up with a crazy hair to make a tailored size ring from a length of solder. The right diameter for the race, and just thick enough that driving with a flat bearing driver would put pressure on the inner race. Wrapped the section around a smaller size socket, then closed the ends to the right diameter by soldering them together. Yes, it's soft, but with enough area, would it do the job? I had plan C and D ready to do the same 12 gauge thhn solid copper from romex or welding wire.

Woohoo, did the job like a champ!

1593712883116.png

Last edited:
I am so glad I didn't try to diy this. No experience and no special tools, and probably not even that gauge of solder around. Props to you @TeCKis300

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom