How would you secure a DIY rear platform that replaces 3rd row seats? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a very simply DIY platform in the back of LC that I built after removing the 3rd row seats. For day to day driving, it doesn't really move around or shift at all, but I'd like a more secure way of tying it down.

I normally keep my golf clubs / push cart under the platform, and the top is just used to hold whatever (groceries, packages, etc), but I will swap out tools / camping gear in the instances where we're camping.

For those of you who have done something similar, how did you secure your platform?

Photos of what you did would be great if you've got them!
1699306220853.png

Last edited:
The only way I would do it is to use the vehicle points designed for the job. You do not want that thing flying around in case of an accident.
Those points are the cargo D rings in the floor. Rear ones are visible, front ones are hidden under the carpet. Besides that, there are the 3rd row seat floor bolts that can be leveraged after you removed the seats.
Now that you have the anchor points you can design your "system". Depending on how much effort you want to put into it you can start with ratcheting straps, then a system using turnbuckles and cables, then a system using bolts and brackets, then more fancy using cams and quick releases but that looks to me a bit too much for what you want.

@doru I'll freely admit that I didn't realize there was a set of attachment points closer to the 2nd row, I've only seen the set closer to the rear hatch. Good to know!

Gotta love this board. Learn something new every day.

I need to construct a similar sleeping platform before next spring. Appreciate the pic for inspiration.

I mounted a piece of plywood to the floor using the leftover mount holes from the seats. It basically created a new subfloor and I trimmed it to the follow the shape of floor and trim. Then I cut holes above the mounting holes which allowed me to bolt the plywood to the floor. One bolt and washer at each corner, basically. Use cardboard to mock up your plywood.

Then I attached my platform to that board permanently (my legs are wood). I can remove the whole setup by removing the 4 bolts, which takes about 5 minutes.

Not sure if it will help but see my thread on a simple platform.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom