What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (39 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Replaced the puny little LX rear springs with some from an 80 series. My rear pressures were way high since I built the bumper and the truck was riding like a tractor. My rear pressures are a little low now, but the cushy ride is back.

What springs did you use, OEM 80 ?

IMG_4045.jpg

De-Chromed my rearend...

Took out my dash cam from my truck since I’m selling it and put it in the 100. Unfortunately now the compass on the rear view mirror seems to have stopped working. I’m guessing the magnetic bracket is causing interference? Anyone have experience with that?

I'm in love. Had I known that the ride was this smooth I would have opted for MTs years ago.
IMG_20200518_180022.jpg

But I guess my husband heard me a mile away. 😂

I'm in love. Had I known that the ride was this smooth I would have opted for MTs years ago. View attachment 2311004
But I guess my husband heard me a mile away. 😂

Wait until after they're worn down a little, woh woh woh woh woh woh woh woh woh. Looks good though, love the aggressiveness look of M/T's

Since I have always had excessive fuel vapor and pressure with the 100, I decided to replace the Charcoal Canister. I opted for the the cheapest option RockAuto had since it was the cheapest option I could find anywhere. What I received seemed like an OEM Denso replacement. It even has the Toyota sensor on top.
View attachment 2310157
View attachment 2310361
The old 334k mile canister was twice as heavy as the new one. I speculate the charcoal was saturated with gas.

I also upgraded the tail lights. I picked up a like new set of later model tail lights from @Gdub216 last year and finally finished the install. I needed amber bulbs 90981-15011 and the harness 81555-60680. The tailgate lights were done a few weeks ago when I installed the Huracan storage lid. These are a huge improvement from my stock faded, cracked and scratched tail lights.
View attachment 2310156

Lastly, I plugged the holes in the rear trim where the 3rd row seatbelts used to be. Used amber LED trailer clearance lights on a switch in the back. These put off a light glow which will be great for illuminating my cargo when camping without wrecking night vision.
View attachment 2310155

Very nice, any improvement yet on the fuel vapor?

i get some whiffs of gas when climbing hills sometimes as well.

I finally adjusted my Torsion bars and think I got my neutral pressures back to spec.

Took me a while to figure out where the bolt for the adjustment was...just behind the front doors is where that 30mm guy lives...staring at you.

did 3 full turns on passenger side and 4 on drivers. Before and after hub to fender heights were :

driver 19 and 8/16 inches and after 4 turns =19 and 12/16 inches

Passenger 19 7/16 inches and after 3 turns =19 11/16 inches

Neutral pressures before adjustement:
View attachment 2307481
After adjustment:

View attachment 2307482

Ride does feels nicer 👍🏻
Where did you buy this code reader?

I'd pull the front drive shaft and the hub flanges to see if it eliminates the vibration. Both cv axles or the front drive shaft could have been impacted during the fun time proceedings.

thread related content--still chasing down a sound that alternates between a clunk and a vibration. Tonight I greased up all u-joints (thinking it might affect the sound and let me know it's a u-joint--nope) and then dropped the front driveshaft. No difference. Vibration (kind of a low-pitched buzz on overrun or when braking) is gone tonight; clunk is back. No change based on steering inputs. Sure sounds like a bad u-joint--possibly rear prop shaft, but it sure sounds like it's coming from the front. Tomorrow I'll pull the flanges and go for a ride with the CVs not spinning and see if anything is different. If not, I'll reinstall all the front bits and drop the rear prop shaft . . .

Here's my terrible video of the sound--it's the low-pitched thunkathunkathunka not whatever is loose in my console and rattling. This is in neutral on a slight downhill, going from probably 20 down to 5 mph. If I were a genius I'd have filmed the speedometer to at least give you something to look at. But I'm not.

Also today, I finally transcribed the Toyota maintenance records I got a dealer to print out for me. Fun facts: Bearings have been done a LOT, as have fluid changes. And this baby got a new multi-function display in 2016. So that thing will probably continue to underperform for years and years.

Finally put on a set of tires! Went from this...
20200515_195221-01.jpeg

To this!
20200519_193907-01.jpeg

Cooper discoverer AT3 XLT 285/75R18
IMG_20200518_142837-01.jpeg
Stock UCA, Ironman 2" foam cell pro, massaged pinch weld. No spacers. Looks even better in person. :cool:

20200519_185157-01.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom