What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (33 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm still new to the 100's and haven't seen that setup before. Was curious how it looked from the side, like how far it stuck out, etc. I've been contemplating throwing a few raspberry pi's in the truck.. still trying to work out my use case.
I'll take some pics from the side and post. Also slide the screen off to see.
It's a double din unit, so only needed a trim piece.

I had to get longer mounting bolts with some spacers as it would sit too far in. (1/2 in spacers_

At the current setup, I can adjust it up / down. I like where it is now though, so I can still see the A/C.

I have the Nakamichi system and was able to use the factory amp.

Did you (hopefully) mount that with security screws? Did you also use a single DIN blockoff plate?

It looks fantastic, much better than I thought it would look with the monster screen
Posted what I did in reply below.
It's nice since the A/C vents are still exposed.

Will do that tomorrow. It’s a 2004, so 4 pinion, and not one of the ones one expects to break, which of course doesn’t mean it’s not broken...
Glad progress was made!
I'd put one hub flange back at a time while drive shaft is still off to see which side is makng the noise. If it's CV (most likely) chances are only one of them went bad.

Hey All,
Been spying on this forum for a while, thought I'd actually join. Lots of great info...THANKS!

I replaced my radio this week.

View attachment 2312067

lxradio back.png

lxradio side.png

Glad progress was made!
I'd put one hub flange back at a time while drive shaft is still off to see which side is makng the noise. If it's CV (most likely) chances are only one of them went bad.
Ha! Now you say that! After I put both back on. ( No garage—wanted to keep hubs sealed)
Didn’t tighten them down much so the cone washers shouldn’t give me much trouble this time. Will try that tonight.

If the sound occurs with either flange on I guess that means it’s time to drain the diff and look for chunks?

Just bought a Denso reman 100a alternator for the 99 LX470. I'm looking underneath the truck and I think I was told the alternator was replaced with an aftermarket. Something about it looks like its 21 years old. These Denso remans are $99 at RA + $34 core. With the Mud discount takes off almost $5. I think I will get a this one and keep the old one to rebuild and keep as a spare. Unless it is some unidentified aftermarket, then I will send it back.

With the front diff and rack out at the moment, changing it will never be easier. I need to clean up and wrap the alt wiring harness with some silicone tape. It looks to be soaked in oil for many years. Ratty looking wiring drives me crazy.

1589932530651.png

This was the fastest alternator pull that I've ever done. It took all of about 10 minutes to snatch this one out.

I can't find any identification on this alternator to know where it came from. It almost looks to be older than the rest of the LX.

Any ideas?

1589937398088.png

This is the part that drives me crazy when I see this. I'll clean them up and rewrap with flex conduit and some high temp silicone tape.

1589937560327.png

Thanks. I think the clock display with LEXUS is about the coolest thing I've seen in a new radio. Is that a feature to add you own look and text to the display?
It has logos for all makes and you can all custom back ground as well. It's basically an Android tablet, so any program you can run on it you can run here. I can put an OBDII wifi dongle and use the app to view all specs. There are also some great Offroad / Overlander apps to use as well.

It has logos for all makes and you can all custom back ground as well. It's basically an Android tablet, so any program you can run on it you can run here. I can put an OBDII wifi dongle and use the app to view all specs. There are also some great Offroad / Overlander apps to use as well.

Cool. Also, I think it gives the dash a youthful appearance that is like a new car.

Can you shift it down a little ? so as to get the screen flatter. I've been looking for a long time at Aliexpress at these style 2DIN android units.

Whats the screen response time? Are the systems fast enough to do everything? Always wondered but you can properly answer :)

Thanks. I think the clock display with LEXUS is about the coolest thing I've seen in a new radio. Is that a feature to add you own look and text to the display?
They have custom logo boot screens too which is even cooler imo

Can you shift it down a little ? so as to get the screen flatter. I've been looking for a long time at Aliexpress at these style 2DIN android units.

Whats the screen response time? Are the systems fast enough to do everything? Always wondered but you can properly answer :)
I have the PAX30 GPU which is the midrange. It's pretty good but I've seen the faster GPU / and higher GB models and they are much smoother. No issues with apps yet, but I could see with my model that some apps could be slower.

I have the screen in the middle, so I could raise or lower the whole screen up or down about 1/2".
I can tilt it down but not really up due to the overhang of the dash. If you lower the whole screen then you could probably tilt it up a little. It's actually pretty flat right now.

Ha! Now you say that! After I put both back on. ( No garage—wanted to keep hubs sealed)
Didn’t tighten them down much so the cone washers shouldn’t give me much trouble this time. Will try that tonight.

If the sound occurs with either flange on I guess that means it’s time to drain the diff and look for chunks?

And so I pulled the right flange and drove around--no clunking. Reinstalled the right and pulled the left--no clunking. Reinstalled the left--clunking. Seems to me this means neither CV is the source of the sound and it might be new diff time. Lemme go read some broken diff threads. Yay.

I have the PAX30 GPU which is the midrange. It's pretty good but I've seen the faster GPU / and higher GB models and they are much smoother. No issues with apps yet, but I could see with my model that some apps could be slower.

I have the screen in the middle, so I could raise or lower the whole screen up or down about 1/2".
I can tilt it down but not really up due to the overhang of the dash. If you lower the whole screen then you could probably tilt it up a little. It's actually pretty flat right now.
Cheers, my 2DIN touchscreen Pioneer unit is about 2002 and due for an upgrade as the Bluetooth is redundant (only works for hands-free no music).

I really think the 7inch store brand bought ones are not large enough really these days for GPS etc or stuff you use them for. I'm really tempted to order one off Aliexpress, there are some really good looking units but I'm just not sold on the hardware. I'll keep looking though.

Tempted to build my own off the new raspberry pi 4b, but have not seen one touchscreen I like, all of them look offset or sit too far into the dash. Additionally, you need to buy other hardware to do simple things like plug the radio antenna in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom