What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (35 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm not trying to prove anything to your physics prof, believe me, I hammered on that summbitch like I was a blacksmith. My eyes are weak, my legs are blind, alms for an ex lepper....
I like the cut of your jib!
I had to cut off my torsion bars too and ended up replacing the torque arm and the anchor. But I am no where near as artful with my words as you seem to be. Carry on carrying on.

Installed my new six panel switch from @BenCC

Next will be hooking everything up to my SPOD

510B29A1-6E6D-42B6-A507-CE84A3A7F6AE.jpeg

350611B7-390F-41AF-B386-A18A0AAF47C1.jpeg

@Bigsky80 what area/park in Montana is this? Beautiful.
It's National Forest in the Little Belt Mountains. Tons of trails and free camping:cool:. Only downside it the area tends to be a bit busy with ATV's and dirt bikes.

Took the family camping off grid in GW National Forest.
95D94ABA-B55C-4ADB-BF94-3FA94E195F07.jpeg

Did some trails there and explored the limits of the factory bumper approach angle.
5CD75E5A-78C1-42D0-975F-5CA9D3864594.jpeg

And camped two nights—nice not to worry how loud the kids were being, which is a concern in campgrounds with other humans around....

On the interstate headed home: bang! Whap whap whap—initially thought we’d hit something in the road and gotten a flat. Pulled over and spent some time jacking up wheels, turning them, checking driveshafts etc. noise went away after driving (slowly) a total of about a mile to a gas station parking lot to diagnose. Drove around a quiet neighborhood—yup, still gone.

Got back on the highway and hit the brakes to allow folks to merge, only to have my wife ask way that noise was. I thought it was a car ahead of us accelerating but it turned out we had a vibration (like a very quiet jake brake) when braking or even in overrun, any time the wheels weren’t actively pulling the truck forward.

We limped home, staying off the interstate, and now I’m losing my mind trying to figure out what the bang was and what the vibration is, and whether they’re related....

The sound on overrun reminds me of my Volvo when I failed to properly torque a new tie rod end and it got progressively looser, so I’ve been thinking steering related stuff might be to blame.

I have checked rack (some movement in the bushings but nothing crazy and no clunk), ball joints, inner and outer tie rod ends, wheel bearings, axle shaft half snap rings—nothing seems obviously loose, although there’s definitely some play in the rack but I confirmed by pulling back the boot and asking my long suffering wife tomove the wheel that it’s not the inner TRE, as I’d suspected.

Any thoughts??? Arrrgh.

Took the family camping off grid in GW National Forest.
View attachment 2309893
Did some trails there and explored the limits of the factory bumper approach angle. View attachment 2309907

And camped two nights—nice not to worry how loud the kids were being, which is a concern in campgrounds with other humans around....

On the interstate headed home: bang! Whap whap whap—initially thought we’d hit something in the road and gotten a flat. Pulled over and spent some time jacking up wheels, turning them, checking driveshafts etc. noise went away after driving (slowly) a total of about a mile to a gas station parking lot to diagnose. Drove around a quiet neighborhood—yup, still gone.

Got back on the highway and hit the brakes to allow folks to merge, only to have my wife ask way that noise was. I thought it was a car ahead of us accelerating but it turned out we had a vibration (like a very quiet jake brake) when braking or even in overrun, any time the wheels weren’t actively pulling the truck forward.

We limped home, staying off the interstate, and now I’m losing my mind trying to figure out what the bang was and what the vibration is, and whether they’re related....

The sound on overrun reminds me of my Volvo when I failed to properly torque a new tie rod end and it got progressively looser, so I’ve been thinking steering related stuff might be to blame.

I have checked rack (some movement in the bushings but nothing crazy and no clunk), ball joints, inner and outer tie rod ends, wheel bearings, axle shaft half snap rings—nothing seems obviously loose, although there’s definitely some play in the rack but I confirmed by pulling back the boot and asking my long suffering wife tomove the wheel that it’s not the inner TRE, as I’d suspected.

Any thoughts??? Arrrgh.

I'd pull the front drive shaft and the hub flanges to see if it eliminates the vibration. Both cv axles or the front drive shaft could have been impacted during the fun time proceedings.

We went out to Antelope Valley near Lancaster California to check out the last of the poppy bloom.
It was a nice chance for a little light wheeling, as the reserve was still closed. Shared some trails with some dirt bikes, the LC kept up without issue. We went around the perimeter of the preserve and made it near Fairmount Butte part of the Desert Mountain Conservation.
A3314BB6-1E85-4D0C-A75F-74F264832BF6.png

9ADF8A2A-FF2E-4703-81A5-79D3F2D10B1E.jpeg

Since I have always had excessive fuel vapor and pressure with the 100, I decided to replace the Charcoal Canister. I opted for the the cheapest option RockAuto had since it was the cheapest option I could find anywhere. What I received seemed like an OEM Denso replacement. It even has the Toyota sensor on top.
IMG_20200517_112106.jpg

1589809640591.png

The old 334k mile canister was twice as heavy as the new one. I speculate the charcoal was saturated with gas.

I also upgraded the tail lights. I picked up a like new set of later model tail lights from @Gdub216 last year and finally finished the install. I needed amber bulbs 90981-15011 and the harness 81555-60680. The tailgate lights were done a few weeks ago when I installed the Huracan storage lid. These are a huge improvement from my stock faded, cracked and scratched tail lights.
IMG_20200517_115236.jpg

Lastly, I plugged the holes in the rear trim where the 3rd row seatbelts used to be. Used amber LED trailer clearance lights on a switch in the back. These put off a light glow which will be great for illuminating my cargo when camping without wrecking night vision.
IMG_20200517_174600.jpg

Last edited:
Since I have always had excessive fuel vapors I decided to replace the Charcoal Canister. I opted for the the cheapest option RockAuto had. What I received seemed like an OEM Denso replacement. It even has the Toyota sensor on top.
View attachment 2310157
The old 334k mile canister was twice as heavy as the new one. I speculate the charcoal was saturated with gas.

I also completed the trail light upgrade. I picked up a like new set of later model tail lights from @Gdub216 last year and finally finished the install. I needed amber bulbs 90981-15011 and the harness 81555-60680. I did the tailgate lights a few weeks ago when I installed the Huracan storage lid. These are a huge improvement from my stock faded, cracked and scratched tail lights.
View attachment 2310156

I also plugged the holes in the rear trim where the 3rd row seatbelts used to be. Used amber LED trailer clearance lights on a switch in the back. These put off a light glow which will be great for illuminating my cargo when camping without wrecking night vision.
View attachment 2310155
Is that the WVE brand on Rockauto?

Replaced the puny little LX rear springs with some from an 80 series. My rear pressures were way high since I built the bumper and the truck was riding like a tractor. My rear pressures are a little low now, but the cushy ride is back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom