Builds eatSleepWoof's '14 LX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

durn. double post. can you make a cage for my kids? there are 4 of em...

Edit- you read my mind...

I see you swapped your 20's. how you like those TRD wheels? Also, you going to delete the chrome side bumpers? been thinking of deleting em on my 15 lx

I know you already pulled the crate, but did you try to 'float' the door with three bungies (one in each axis) to get it solid in the hinges and pressing on the latch? A bit of a pain to take on and off but probably stops the rattle.
FWIW I think the custom solution is going to be better and that platform looks like a good start!

I see you swapped your 20's. how you like those TRD wheels? Also, you going to delete the chrome side bumpers? been thinking of deleting em on my 15 lx

No complaints about the wheels. They're round and they spin :). These wheels came with rather worn-out OEM tires on them, and I've worn them down pretty much to the end of life since. My winter tires are on the original 20" Lexus wheels, and that's what the car currently has.

In a few months (post-winter) I'll be getting new tires for the 18" TRD wheels, and I think at that point I'll notice the biggest upside of more sidewall (& tread).

I'm definitely not a fan of all the chrome, and I think that eventually I'll be looking to get rid of most of it. I think I'll start with the window trim and door handles, and the rest will follow. Not a priority for now, but it'll happen eventually.

I know you already pulled the crate, but did you try to 'float' the door with three bungies (one in each axis) to get it solid in the hinges and pressing on the latch? A bit of a pain to take on and off but probably stops the rattle.
FWIW I think the custom solution is going to be better and that platform looks like a good start!

Have not tried that. Interesting idea, but I doubt it would work in practice (in my case). There is not much to attach the bungee to in the vehicle, and even attaching to the crate itself would be a pain.

Outside of eliminating various annoying noises, the biggest upside of the custom crate will be sloped front/rear walls, allowing for much better use of space in the vehicle.

I'm currently down with two broken legs, but am anticipating being back on my feet in March, at which point the new crate will be a priority build. Really looking forward to it!

Decided to not build a custom, plywood crate, but rather have an aluminum one made by a local fabricator. Turned out great, only cost $700 CAD ($493 USD), and is a perfect fit for both the LX and the dog.

Tie-down tracks on the platform:

dBnVXev.jpg

Secured crate:

h59TEbO.jpg

And some photos from before I tied it down:

kpVWv3Y.jpg

JscLTU5.jpg

ZLFZvhE.jpg

Emjp7ZT.jpg

MGoiRCZ.jpg

The rear wall is at a 60 (or was it 65? Can't recall) degree angle, giving the 2nd row plenty of space to lean back. The width of the crate is 26", so that the 40-side of the 40/60 rear seats can lean back even further, or be folded forward for lengthy items.
I48UsuW.jpg

5rJVX3B.jpg

InjwN5k.jpg

Everything is made from 1/8" aluminium (which is a lot beefier than I anticipated) and all surfaces have stiffening ribs.

Easily the strongest crate I've ever seen.

Last edited:
That turned out great! How is the noise?

So far I've driven a few hours on pavement and (yesterday) about 30 mins of rough snow/gravel roads - zero noise that I've picked up on, and I'm pretty sensitive to foreign noises.

The one improvement I want to make is to remove the plywood platform and re-mount it to the original seat hardware instead of the brass rivnuts I installed. It's not quite as solid as I would like. Problem is finding longer bolts to fit into OEM threads - these use a 1.00 fine thread, which I can't find locally. I've ordered some online (Aliexpress/China), hope they work out whenever they arrive.

One of my rivnuts has also come loose and is spinning, so removing that particular bolt will be fun.

Popped the hood to look for the source of a squeal and noticed a heck of a lot of corrosion on both battery terminals. This is some cheap, no-name battery that was installed in July of 2018 before the car was traded in (and before I bought it). Maybe it's time for a Group 31 replacement?

6uNMj42.jpg

Popped the hood to look for the source of a squeal and noticed a heck of a lot of corrosion on both battery terminals. This is some cheap, no-name battery that was installed in July of 2018 before the car was traded in (and before I bought it). Maybe it's time for a Group 31 replacement?

6uNMj42.jpg

Do it!

I have been very happy with my X2Power! Although it's a group 27F.

Do it!

I have been very happy with my X2Power! Although it's a group 27F.
Noob question: 27F means it fits in the stock battery location without any issues, right? plug and play?

Noob question: 27F means it fits in the stock battery location without any issues, right? plug and play?
yeah, that's the standard size. If you decide on an AGM there are some compromises in charging that will need to be made.

With about 63,000km on the ODO, I decided to do a whole lot of fluid changes as some preventative (and catch up) maintenance.

Taking the LX in to the dealership at the end of the week for the following. Quoted prices for each item included.

- identifying/fixing cause of serpentine belt squeal
- engine oil change - $109.99
- AHC fluid flush - $179.99
- transfer case oil change - $209.99
- front diff oil change - $209.99
- rear diff oil change - $209.99
- transmission fluid flush - $179.99
- brake fluid flush - $145.99
- engine air filter replacement - $49.99
- recall for passenger seat belt tensioner

Total of about $1250 CAD ($888 USD) at the dealership. Seems incredibly cheap to me - I expected they'd want $2.5-3k for all of the above.

Looking forward to the drive home after all that work is done.

Also ordered new spring/summer/fall tires: Nitto Ridge Grapplers, in XL load rating, and stock 285/60/18 size. These are 48lbs each, with 14/32 tread. Should be a quiet, comfortable, and very capable ride that doesn't take away anything noticeable from handling/braking/acceleration, nor fuel economy. Install happening in about a week.

Also ordered new spring/summer/fall tires: Nitto Ridge Grapplers, in XL load rating, and stock 285/60/18 size. These are 48lbs each, with 14/32 tread. Should be a quiet, comfortable, and very capable ride that doesn't take away anything noticeable from handling/braking/acceleration, nor fuel economy. Install happening in about a week.

With as much adventure and exploration that I seen in your pics, I'm surprised you're not opting to go up at least one aspect ratio in size?

- AHC fluid flush - $179.99

This seems sketchy. The fluid alone will cost $80.

Edit: I just realized its loonies! So the fluid costs 110 CAD plus $70 CAD labor?

Last edited:
With as much adventure and exploration that I seen in your pics, I'm surprised you're not opting to go up at least one aspect ratio in size?

I actually strongly, and I mean very strongly considered going to the same tire size you're running: 305/55/20.

Right before making the call, I was down to this list of potential contenders:

JPROn2C.png

I dismissed the 275-width options largely due to the same reasons you've shared (in other threads) for not liking them. I don't want to "go down" in width.

That left these sizes:

18" wheels: stock / 33
20" wheels: stock / 32 / 33

I would have liked 33s on 18s (285/70/18), but I could not find a single option that was not E rated. I want p-metric, or C-rated at the most. E rated options are a hard pass for me, so that meant the 285/70/18 option was out.

Next up I considered running an AT all year on my original 20" wheels vs. swapping between summer & winter sets. I could then sell my winter tires, as well as the 18" wheel set. Again, the only decent non-LT option I could find was the same Nitto Ridge Grappler. Unfortunately I read quite a few reports of less than ideal snow traction, and "no traction" on ice. We get lots of snow, so good winter performance is a must.

Since I already have good winter tires on my 20" wheels, it wouldn't make sense to get rid of these tires unless I was replacing them with something of fairly comparable winter performance. Then there's the considerably higher prices, and now a need to buy 5 tires instead of 4 (to have a matching spare). And I'd have to spend another $300-400 on spacers (which I'm not a fan of).

I looked at KO2s and the Falken AT3Ws, but again, they all come in heavy load ratings that I don't want. The Ridge Grappler is really the only option out there that's good off road, while having good road manners, (reported to be better and quieter on the street than the more street-oriented Terra Grappler) and coming in a non-LT load range.

Stock size means I get to keep my OEM spare, too, and can used it in both summer and winter (to get me home, find a new tire, etc.). Cheapest and most practical option, really. Far from the coolest, and not ideal, but it'll work.

Realistically, if I can't pass an obstacle w/ stock-size tires, the AHC lift, and AHC in high mode, then I probably have no business getting there.

This seems sketchy. The fluid alone will cost $80.

Edit: I just realized its loonies! So the fluid costs 110 CAD plus $70 CAD labor?

Yup, that's about right. This is also the only Lexus dealer around, and coincidentally they aren't very busy, so I think they keep their rates fairly low.

Last edited:
I keep thinking someday someone will choose this tire (275/70r18 SL)and we'll get some evaluation data. It could have been you @eatSleepWoof

Screen Shot 2020-04-20 at 2.36.28 PM.png

One of my choices. The 20s work for me. I'm looking to make the move once more reviews come out lol.

@eatSleepWoof

That's certainly a well thought out tradespace, and I can't fault where you've landed. Many more ways to get it wrong than to get it right. I think you'll be plenty happy with your choice and the level of capability in your rig.

The Load Range issue is a sticky one without many options on the market. Too many tires go straight to the big LR-E, which is unwarranted for most cars, short of the burdened HD trucks. In a 285/65r18, I can find only one LR-D tire model in the market.

I know you've ordered, but perhaps for the next person, a 305/60R18 could be useful. In Ridge Grappler flavor, it's available in p-metric. 32.4" diameter, and 50.5lbs. Meaningful increase of diameter over stock. And keeps the wheel face protected with some buldge. Yes, it's spec'd for a minimum of 8.5" wheel, but I've run this size on my LC100 with an 8" wheel just fine.

@ton504 - Yes, those ATIIIs look promising.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom