'14 LX front strut replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any thoughts on why a '14 LX would need front struts replaced at around 50k miles? Typical wear? No accidents reported.
Thanks in advance.

Rust?
Are you getting this info from a shop?
Is the ride bad?

I’m guessing they don’t actually need replaced. But attaching some pictures of them would help.

The replacement is listed on the Carfax of a car I just bought. The selling dealer inspected the car prior to sale and replaced the front struts and the battery. They don't have any specifics as to why they were needed so I am asking the Mud brain trust.

Repair shop looking to dupe a few extra bucks out of a clueless owner would be my guess.

Repair shop looking to dupe a few extra bucks out of a clueless owner would be my guess.
I don't think so as the repair was done after the car was owned by the dealership (after a trade for a newer LC) and also done after their in-house inspection. They likely wouldn't have done it unless it was needed but I can't get an answer as to why they thought is was needed-probably just paranoia on my part!!

I don't think so as the repair was done after the car was owned by the dealership (after a trade for a newer LC) and also done after their in-house inspection. They likely wouldn't have done it unless it was needed but I can't get an answer as to why they thought is was needed-probably just paranoia on my part!!
Over the years lots of people have posted that their dealer recommended changing AHC struts over “leaks”, but when those people posted pictures they were very minor weeps that will pose no harm for the next 100k miles. In fact they’d barely qualify as a weep.. more a not perfectly clean strut.

Keep in mind AHC is basically witchcraft to most of these dealers.. even with certified master techs there are random people on this board with far more knowledge about the system and it’s faults than the Lexus mechanics.

So it’s entirely possible they didn’t really need replacing but did it anyway. Or they could have been blown out. Or thrown at the vehicle in an attempt to make it drive like an X5, which it will never do.

Personally that service history wouldn’t prevent me buying a given vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom