Builds Mountain Goat '18LX build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi Guys! Wanted to jump on here and introduce myself and be able to post up updates as we go. I'm Michael, owner of Wanderlust Overland and we're doing the LX570 build for Chris! He's been absolutely awesome to work with as a customer and stoked to get this thing really rolling. We're a small shop and get super busy so I apologize in advance if we are not great at updates or replying to posts and questions but will do our best!

Sweet, yea I've been following you on @IG for a while now. Looking forward to seeing where this build goes.

Sweet, yea I've been following you on @IG for a while now. Looking forward to seeing where this build goes.
Thanks Tex! For those of you on social media, check us out on Instagram at Wanderlust_Overland we're going to try to go live and update stories regularly on this build there.
For those of you that don't, an update post will follow a little later!

Well, I guess there was some miscommunication at some point, the Prinsu Rack does NOT bolt right up to post facelift LX570s. It is a custom job that is shown here in this post What's going on in the ACC Garage. . .

I had a feeling it wouldn't work. The only system I see that currently bolts to the 2016+ factory side rails is from Frontrunner and even then the stock photos don't actually show it installed on an actual 2016+ LX 570.

I contacted Rhino about their rack as well and they haven't touched the newer LX either. I haven't messed around with ours much so I am not even sure what all is involved in removing the side rails. They sort of appear to be molded in to the roof line but I am hoping that they are in fact removable.

Update on what we were able to get done yesterday.

Testing:
- 0-60 testing: 6 runs, threw out the highest and lowest anomalies (6.6 sec and 8.8 sec) that left us with 2 - 7.7s and 2 - 7.8s for an avg of 7.75 seconds 0-60 before any mods other than the all terrains.

- db testing for noise (using phone app again); 60 mph steady with cruise control. Over two separate 20 second readings we had basically identical results of 70 db min. 77 max and avg of 75 db.

- A little fun quick off road testing (surprisingly capable and "flexy" for what they are)

Install:
  • Second Odyssey Battery using Slee Brackets Installed
  • ARB Twin Air Compressor 90% installed
  • Prinsu Rack assembled only to find out it doesn't work without a lot of modification

2019-03-05 12.44.45.jpg

2019-03-05 12.45.03.jpg

2019-03-05 18.27.15.jpg

2019-03-05 18.27.26.jpg

2019-03-05 18.27.33.jpg

Well I see a manifold so I'm guessing that it's getting ARB lockers? Pretty sweet!

Update on what we were able to get done yesterday.

Testing:
- 0-60 testing: 6 runs, threw out the highest and lowest anomalies (6.6 sec and 8.8 sec) that left us with 2 - 7.7s and 2 - 7.8s for an avg of 7.75 seconds 0-60 before any mods other than the all terrains.

- db testing for noise (using phone app again); 60 mph steady with cruise control. Over two separate 20 second readings we had basically identical results of 70 db min. 77 max and avg of 75 db.

- A little fun quick off road testing (surprisingly capable and "flexy" for what they are)

Install:
  • Second Odyssey Battery using Slee Brackets Installed
  • ARB Twin Air Compressor 90% installed
  • Prinsu Rack assembled only to find out it doesn't work without a lot of modification

View attachment 1920815

View attachment 1920817

View attachment 1920818

View attachment 1920819

View attachment 1920820
It looks like you have the Slee battery bracket in reverse? That way the pressure can be spread on to a bigger surface area?

It looks like you have the Slee battery bracket in reverse? That way the pressure can be spread on to a bigger surface area?
Good eye! My tech had, in fact, installed it upside down initially. Caught it after I took the photo yesterday. Sent him home early to get some rest as he was a bit foggy from fighting a cold. It has since been remedied!

Sorry for being so quiet on here! Been very busy in the shop with projects and trying desperately to make the supercharger portion of the build work. Update is, after 3 different tries on intercoolers with no luck with fitment in the space, we have spent many hours working with Harrop and a custom/newly designed intercooler will have to be designed and built to work with this application. We ultimately had to put everything back together so Chris could get his baby back for a while.

What we WERE able to accomplish:
- The Trail-Tailor hidden winch mount did bolt right up with no issues! There was some minor trimming necessary on a brace from the core support to the grill to make the winch fit and we had to relocate the Warn Zeon Control Module to above the grill cross-bar. After taking the grill/bumper off and putting it back on probably a dozen times, we were able to cut just enough opening to make room for use yet still be pretty aesthetically pleasing and keep as much grill/bumper integrity as possible. We did throw a Warn Epic Sidewinder hook on to better fill the gap between the front of the grill and the recessed fairlead. In a direct comparison, the LX grill sticks out about 3" further forward than the 200 series grill.

- ARB Dual Compressor is a great addition, however we did run into some issues with some of the added features we were trying to integrate with the LINX system. There is an inflate/deflate module that is supposed to allow you to dial in your pressure on the LINX, press a button and air your tires back up to the requested pressure and the compressor will shut off. However, the aluminum air distribution block that you are supposed use for the valves, pressure sensors and coupler does not allow enough space for the ARB supplied coupler and valves and sensors to all be plugged in at once. Also, the block has smaller ports than that of the coupler so reducers would need to be used, possibly negating the extra flow you get from going with the Twin Compressor. Trying to work through this one with ARB as well.

- Slee 2nd battery tray and Compressor mount went in without a hitch. Super quality products. Also installed a Off-Grid Engineering Dual Battery system with Cabin Switch for Manual Override.

- LINX system is all up and running. There was difficulty finding a place to put the "brain" distribution center as it is quite large and cannot be installed in the engine bay. We tore the dash and console apart looking for a spot, to no avail. Ultimately we ended up mounting it under the dash in the passenger side footwell. It tucks up nicely and really is only noticeable if someone were to point it out. Full review of the system to come later after some more time dialing it in and playing with it. Also, the 200 series bracket to mount the control unit itself on the A-Pillar worked just fine on the LX.

(Pic with the module mounted, cannot see it unless you bend WAY down and look up under the dash)

- We ran an extra 12 volt circuit to the rear for a power port for a possible future fridge and ran the wiring for the upcoming auxiliary fuel tank at the same time.

- The Prinsu roof rack also took up quite a large amount of time and there is still not a solid answer on if it is going to work. The flush rails on the LX are bolted to the roof from the INSIDE of the vehicle. We started to do a similar modification to the rack that was done by another shop where they cut the feet off and mounted the side rails inside of the Lexus factory flush rails, however we realized that what we thought were drilled and tapped locations we could bolt right to on the inside of the flush rails were actually just divots for locating pins for factory cross rails. Without much information out there on how the rails are constructed, we opted to not drill or tap into them to support something as important as a roof rack that could see hundreds of pounds of cargo in extreme situations. Next time the rig is in the shop we will be pulling the headliner and comparing the mounting locations to the Prinsu feet to see if we can pull the flush rails and the rack will bolt right up after doing so.

That's good to know in regards to the holes in the aluminum side rails. I too thought those were threaded holes for the cross bars. Back to the drawing board.

Couple small updates.
I really like the Prinsu rack. The sales/service support is disappointing, as seems to be usual with many of these vendors, but the product “seems” excellent. Very sturdy. It’s nice to have full length coverage.

I removed the rear most cross bar as I felt it was hindering the satellite radio.
C50780AB-CD17-4CB6-882B-659C3E8CD302.jpeg
E085FDD5-8973-462E-888B-14C6ABFFF604.jpeg
5A507B3F-F7DE-41BD-B354-7BED0C3890B9.jpeg
AB069D31-E7CA-4C10-B439-CCEE141BDE1F.jpeg

Wanted to point out few small creature comforts.

I’m very happy with my Husky liners, the fit and finish is excellent.
270F6EE7-1796-4063-AFB3-7C8C651B0B61.jpeg

Not sure if I ever posted these, but the third row seat covers are great. Easy to install/remove, protects the seat, and has large storage pockets! The license plate gives you an idea of size.
56E815CB-71C9-4A32-AC8A-3E71D0D2FD55.jpeg

There is a lot of talk about the small cup holders. This insert from amazon is awesome. It accommodates the large 40oz bottles as well as odd shaped coffee cups and leaves the other cup holder fully functional.
CFB2BE0C-482A-4313-A488-83151190DAEA.jpeg
0F0AAE2D-19E7-4A37-B5D3-42C95074B8DC.jpeg
D0CC094A-D3E8-4546-82BE-5376820CD844.jpeg
0D1F17BC-95C4-46C3-97CC-1C6E3861F87C.jpeg

RedArc trail brake controller. Very clean and accessible. Offers auto and manual control.
11C7E63A-5979-4A27-B52F-366FC4BE5767.jpeg

Finally, a few comments on the Falken Wildpeaks.
I’ve now made several trips over the pass between the Oregon cost and Portland. Very wet and twisty with many off camber turns. Snow and ice at elevation. And I love these tires. The traction is excellent. The combination of these wide tires and the wider stance of the wheels really added stability. I push the LX hard, and it responds really well with this configuration. Most of my driving is on pavement, so I’m overjoyed. Hopefully I’ll get more off-road time soon, but I have very high expectations as I haven’t been able to find a single bad review of them off-road, other than mentioning their shortcomings in serious mud, which is to be expected.
83A1D5CE-1D58-44CE-84A9-3DDC56BDE9AD.jpeg
864CF781-6002-4FE1-AB8C-393AF30C81C4.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom