Widening Steelies questions. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I purchased a set of OEM welded steelies and hubcaps from Toyota, and plan on widening them to 8” for my 32 11.5 BFG’s. Is the stock backspacing 3.5"? Will this change or need to be changed when widened? Also looking for pics of color options for the wheels, black, white or gray seem to look best. Located on Long Island NY, so if anyone has a place to recommend, please do. Any info and pics are appreciated, thank you.

Similar set-up....OEM widened to 9" with the original backspacing, running 32x11.50's.

IMG_3984.jpg

IMG_2959.jpg

Personally I think that black looks great with Rustic Green also; here is mine:

Those wheels stock 15x5.5? 33x10.50 tires? Classic :D
I agree that black looks somewhat better with the green... I’ve finally finished my steelies - painted them grey but since my truck is bone white, just about any color will do!

Next project: “Hey honey... is a new set a BFG’s too much to ask for as a Christmas present?”

I would try the 32s on stock wheels without widening them. If you don't like it widen the wheels later.

I was thinking that too, but feel the 5.5” width may be dangerous. I have kids that ride around with me, I would hate for something to happen just because I wanted to save a few bucks.

I personally think keeping the wheels as they are and running a 33 / 10.5 on the 15 inch wheels is the way to go.

The green 40 next to that slick green 45 is one heck of a nice pic!!!!!

I remember you guys being there and handing out t-shirts at that event, as well as your gorgeous 45.

Both of those photos were taken by @LaOutbackTrail , aka Lifestyles in Light Photography.

Similar set-up....OEM widened to 9" with the original backspacing, running 32x11.50's.

View attachment 1803667

View attachment 1803668
Do you ever think of adding the front section to the OEM rollbar? Part of me wants the protection and possible overhead console supports.I have concerns about interference with the vent windows I am adding and the defrost vent located on the edges of the dash.

Do you ever think of adding the front section to the OEM rollbar? Part of me wants the protection and possible overhead console supports.I have concerns about interference with the vent windows I am adding and the defrost vent located on the edges of the dash.

The thought has never crossed my mind....however, If I was thinking about a cage, I'd probably go with something like this: "Metal Tech"

Do you ever think of adding the front section to the OEM rollbar? Part of me wants the protection and possible overhead console supports.

The OEM roll bar is pretty thin tubing; not a lot of real protection there.

The thought has never crossed my mind....however, If I was thinking about a cage, I'd probably go with something like this: "Metal Tech"

Much better choice, and in fact what I bought for mine:

I was thinking that too, but feel the 5.5” width may be dangerous. I have kids that ride around with me, I would hate for something to happen just because I wanted to save a few bucks.

I was running 33x12.5 on 8 inch rims and it handled pretty well. Switched to 33x10.5 on stock rims and the handling feels noticeably less stable. I'm good with it, but if had kids riding with me on the street, I'd probably think about widening them. Especially if it was in the budget. Offroad they're great. They hook up well and are nice and squishy, but on the street they're not so sure-footed.

The OEM roll bar is pretty thin tubing; not a lot of real protection there.

Much better choice, and in fact what I bought for mine:

This pic is actually my inspiration, saved it from another thread long ago. Only thing I will change is widening the rims, mostly because I already have the tires, and prefer a little wider stance in the rear. I love your Cruiser, if you get tired of it, please let me know.

You have an awesome truck!

Thanks! (and thanks @JeffD too). There are much nicer builds by far here on Mud, but mine suits me.

Is that the Jackson cage?

Yes, exactly. Bought it as a kit. I wish I would have put a spreader between the A pillars right above the dash, but otherwise I'm extremely happy with it.

Can you still run OEM jump seats in the back?

You could, but the foot plates for the B and C pillars covers some of the mounting holes, so you would have to drill the foot plate and then make some spacers for the holes not covered by the foot plates. My kids are all grown, so I left my jump seats out to have more room to carry / pack stuff in the back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom