3FE Owners Check-In (21 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Been driving it for about a week now. I'm slightly concerned about the long term reliability but we'll see what happens. Still needs a bunch of work..

28290156588_ed9b77695c_b.jpg

40355988990_16bd109c6d_b.jpg

Hello, as the name suggests we're the owners of a JDM FJ80 in New Zealand. It was imported to the country in 2014 by a car dealer. We are the second owners of it in this country (previous owner had it as his weekend car). Factory issue so far, apart from the Berg alloy wheels, Nardi steering wheel (came with it from Japan), JVC head unit including reverse camera, and the BFG tyres (which have now been replaced due to cracking/crazing/dry rot (they still had 9mm of tread but had a manufactured date of 2012)). The tyres have been replaced with Mickey Thompson ATZ P3. The girlfriend prefers the white lettering of the BFGs, and I do to. They appear a more aggressive tyre with slightly more road noise. Time will tell how the wear, effect fuel consumption, and perform on varying terrains.

Factory optioned with,

Sunroof
Centre diff lock
Factory fridge and ice maker
Electric winch with steel cable
Rear (third seat) air conditioning

We originally purchased it January last year, with a milage of ~101,000 kms (~62,758 miles). As the pictures depicts we haven't done a lot more since purchase, as I had a work vehicle until returning to study. The joys of the fuel bill of constant 4x4, auto and 3FE are now felt. Most of the kilometres have been put into the winter months heading to the ski field.

Hopefully the pictures work out, and the post is in the right place, been frickin' ages since being on a forum.

Ryan and Emma

New to me 1992 with 276k and counting. Original block/trans/tcase, in need of some refreshing though. Leaks but does not burn any fluids. Pretty impressed with it's solid feeling. I bought a 2.5 OME, new stereo, and it's currently having the fender flare holes welded up by a buddy.

grahamlc.JPG

Any recommendations for front brakes on my 91? I’d like to upgrade to 93+ calipers and 100 series pads but my 33’s are still in good shape and on the stock 15 inch wheels. Anyway, I need new rotors, pads, and a possible caliper rebuild. Going to reseal the front axle while I have things apart (found a lot of grease in the diff fluid). I usually go OEM but I’m not sure they are worth the $ in this case. The rig is lifted and has some armor, so a bit of an improvement in braking performance would be nice. Thoughts?

Any recommendations for front brakes on my 91? I’d like to upgrade to 93+ calipers and 100 series pads but my 33’s are still in good shape and on the stock 15 inch wheels. Anyway, I need new rotors, pads, and a possible caliper rebuild. Going to reseal the front axle while I have things apart (found a lot of grease in the diff fluid). I usually go OEM but I’m not sure they are worth the $ in this case. The rig is lifted and has some armor, so a bit of an improvement in braking performance would be nice. Thoughts?
I picked up a set of Centric Fleet Performance pads recommended by mud members, braking was night and day over stock, highly recommended

3FE owners:
Any issues with running ARB compressor in driver's side engine bay? The reason i am asking is, our exhaust manifold is on the DS vs PS for the 4.5L.

TIA

3FE owners:
Any issues with running ARB compressor in driver's side engine bay? The reason i am asking is, our exhaust manifold is on the DS vs PS for the 4.5L.

TIA

That's where mine is mounted. No problems. My manifold is also mounted there on the firewall.

That's where mine is mounted. No problems. My manifold is also mounted there on the firewall.

Mine is mounted in the area you mentioned. I have yet to really use it airing up. I made a heatsheild for it to help the heat. I’m also venting my hood this weekend prior to a trip at the end of the month. I have gotten comments that the only thing that makes an ARB compressor fail is heat. We shall see. When the engine got changed out over the winter I put in a water and tranny guage. The water coming out of the engine aversages around 203. You can only imagine the heat coming off the manifold. I have some other ideas on venting but I’m going to wait and see how this set up works first.

Mine is mounted in the area you mentioned. I have yet to really use it airing up. I made a heatsheild for it to help the heat. I’m also venting my hood this weekend prior to a trip at the end of the month. I have gotten comments that the only thing that makes an ARB compressor fail is heat. We shall see. When the engine got changed out over the winter I put in a water and tranny guage. The water coming out of the engine aversages around 203. You can only imagine the heat coming off the manifold. I have some other ideas on venting but I’m going to wait and see how this set up works first.
yeah heat shield might be a good idea, do you have a pic of your setup?

yeah heat shield might be a good idea, do you have a pic of your setup?
I will not post a picture because I’m a terrible fabricator. Above your steering box there is a flange with two holes that holds(held) a cowling to protect the joint there. I fabricated a mount for my compressor using that flange. Its about 6” tall and gets the compressor a little further away from the header. I extended the intake air filter over near the windshield wiper motor so its at least taking in cooler air. I made the shield out of HVAC ducting and slid it between the new bracket and the compressor. It covers the three sides and is reflective. Of course the reflective buys me about .000000005 degrees but I’ll take what I can get. That area there also house my ACR and extra fuse box. Its kind of busy over there but its the best I could come up wiht.

I will not post a picture because I’m a terrible fabricator. Above your steering box there is a flange with two holes that holds(held) a cowling to protect the joint there. I fabricated a mount for my compressor using that flange. Its about 6” tall and gets the compressor a little further away from the header. I extended the intake air filter over near the windshield wiper motor so its at least taking in cooler air. I made the shield out of HVAC ducting and slid it between the new bracket and the compressor. It covers the three sides and is reflective. Of course the reflective buys me about .000000005 degrees but I’ll take what I can get. That area there also house my ACR and extra fuse box. Its kind of busy over there but its the best I could come up wiht.
haha....fair enough. Mine is mounted at the top right corner just above the brake booster and to the right side, should be a far enough away from the exhaust manifold, i will see if i can fab up a heat shield down the road.

Speaking of heat. This is my 1st summer in my 91. 300k runs well. Gets 12.5mpg mostly highway. No a/c. I am cooking in the drivers seat! Firewall and floor get uncomfortably hot. All factory heatshields appear to be there.

Speaking of heat. This is my 1st summer in my 91. 300k runs well. Gets 12.5mpg mostly highway. No a/c. I am cooking in the drivers seat! Firewall and floor get uncomfortably hot. All factory heatshields appear to be there.
Mine used to run hot down by the firewall and tranny tunnel, then my radiator crapped out, replaced with new, flushed the coolant, run OEM red, added an aux. fan and now the heat seems to have gone down tremendouly....i am going to wrap the exhaust header with heat wrap and see if that makes a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom