Recomendation for Stereo for FJ62 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking for a Stereo receiver for my FJ62 that would fit into the stock opening. I prefer a touch screen with Bluetooth. I been looking at the Kenwood and Pioneer. Anyone had any recommendations as to the model and display opening?

aaws.jpg

This is a tough one cause radios are like tires lots to choose from and prices are all over the place but not to many on the budget friendly side what your looking at with the above features, and size is double din as 99% of all aftermarket come in single or double din models. You can spend 350 to 1200 or 1300 hundred, but let me tell you a deal i came across for my tow-pig is the dual touch screen, dvd, bluetooth, deck i bought at wal-mart for 100 bucks and is almost 2 years old with no flaws and the kids watch movies while we are on camp trips with it all the time, and I figure for the price i'll buy another when it breaks. But good luck mine is a 60 so i'm limited to old scool skinny deck, and movies on my phone for now.

f86cfb41-9971-4810-9b0b-ad26f758a04c_1.e8db03c3b3111ee64282d0ee54f39f0a.png

I had a pioneer unit similar to that model and it would not fit all i can suggest get the measurements and see if it will fit. My pioneer is a great unit ended up putting it in my subaru daily which it fitted. Oh my only bugbear with modern double din stereo receiver/dvd player is the lock out system to play dvd's without the handbrake on. America to the rescue there with a bypass unit to get around it.

Mark

I got the kenwood over the Pioneer because I wanted a volume knob. But its not very user-friendly, and it has bugs. I wouldn't recommend it.

Had to trim the opening with a sharp knife but easy to do as i just cut out about 3mm off the edges to mount the kenwood.
9D139683-CCBB-4643-8580-A109F0EAA999.jpeg

I was this one. The cage that came with it was too big though so I bought a new small cage that fitted perfectly
  • Kenwood DDX-8016DABS 6.2" WVGA USB/DVD-Receiver With Built-In Bluetooth & DAB Tuner & Apple CarPlay

Any double DIN receiver will fit in the 62 dash without any modifications needed. Use the mounting plates off of the old radio (or buy some used if you don't have a take-out). They allow you to bolt the new receiver directly to the existing dash brackets with no bending or cutting. The standard older model Toyota wiring pigtail adapter also will eliminate any need to cut existing wires.

Putting a radio in a 62 is a very straight forward one banana job. If anyone tells you you need to modify or cut your dash pad, don't listen to them.

i have a pioneer nex 4200 and love it. i’d buy it again in a heart beat. it’s also in my opinion clean looking and not to vegas for me. i’ve changes the display colour to a green that matches the dash lights and it seems to fit right in

one more thing i like about the nex is i have the back up camera set up and it has a camera mode that i can check my trailer while i’m driving. with a small military trailer its hard to see it in the mirrors so it’s the perfect way to check to make sure everything is following well

Last edited:
Not sure how Kenwood's quality holds up now, but I know the motors they were using for motorized parts had a fairly short life span back in the day. Pioneer and Alpine are still very well regarded. Clarion used to be outstanding but in recent years their quality has taken a dive. I got one of their last really good double DIN units and I love it. Problem is that I need to either relocate my amp or find a thin one that'll fit under the Mazda seats I have installed. The buckets are too deep for me to keep my current amp where I used to have it (under the passenger seat) so I'm minus a radio until I get my amp situation squared away.

Jealous of you guys being able to fit a double-din in yours. I seriously have been contemplating a dash swap down the road just to fit a better, nicer unit.

JVC and Kenwood are same company (Kenwood is the parent company) and my little JVC unit has been nice for the last few years. It was a basic, no frills version that had bluetooth but when I bought it it was already a generation old. Now, some 5yrs later, the bluetooth disconnects just about every time it connects. For instance, Saturday and Sunday morning are spent at the local dog park with my three meatheads. Dirt parking lot backs right up to the grass so I leave the back of the Land Cruiser open and blast the stereo while I throw the ball for them. In the hour that I am there each morning I have to walk back to the truck to reconnect the bluetooth and hit play because it has randomly lost the bluetooth single yet again at least 2-3 times. Firmware on the unit has not had an update from Kenwood/JVC since it was purchased.

With that said, I am looking for a new deck this year (single din) but the main question is, anyone know of a company/brand that actually updates their firmware to their older devices? Seems like Kenwood/JVC will support for a couple years after but that is the extent.

Jealous of you guys being able to fit a double-din in yours. I seriously have been contemplating a dash swap down the road just to fit a better, nicer unit.

JVC and Kenwood are same company (Kenwood is the parent company) and my little JVC unit has been nice for the last few years. It was a basic, no frills version that had bluetooth but when I bought it it was already a generation old. Now, some 5yrs later, the bluetooth disconnects just about every time it connects. For instance, Saturday and Sunday morning are spent at the local dog park with my three meatheads. Dirt parking lot backs right up to the grass so I leave the back of the Land Cruiser open and blast the stereo while I throw the ball for them. In the hour that I am there each morning I have to walk back to the truck to reconnect the bluetooth and hit play because it has randomly lost the bluetooth single yet again at least 2-3 times. Firmware on the unit has not had an update from Kenwood/JVC since it was purchased.

With that said, I am looking for a new deck this year (single din) but the main question is, anyone know of a company/brand that actually updates their firmware to their older devices? Seems like Kenwood/JVC will support for a couple years after but that is the extent.

I'm on my second JVC single din w/ satellite. On both, the satellite stopped working. I'm done with this brand. I'm going to try the Pioneer MVH-S501BS next. If I could do a dbl din like the 62, I would go for the Pioneer with Apple Talk. Those radios are awesome. I traveled over the Andes Mtns in Colombia in my wife's cousins crappy chevy SUV with that and it seamlessly talked to Waze and connected to music. I was mad jeolous that I don't have a dbl din slot in the 60.

Last edited:
Agreed... Think I may step away from JVC/Kenwood with the next one, always had good luck with them but I get this feeling that single-din stereos are now the "poor kids" deck regardless of brand. Everyone seems to make multiple models that are between $50 and $180 but once you pass that mark you don't get much.

PO put in a Kenwood DNX693s. I love it firs perfectly. Not sure if there was any trimming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom