Recomendation for Stereo for FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I recently bought a Pioneer AVH-1300NEX, wiring harness adapter, a parking brake bypass, and a 12" antenna cable extension from Amazon for around $250.

https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVH-...1519011828&sr=8-1&keywords=pioneer+avh1300nex

One of the cheapest stereos I could find with Apple CarPlay.

Installation was relatively easy. Just removed the brackets off the factory double din stereo and put them on the new Pioneer. No trimming of the instrument panel cover necessary.
Used a terminal strip I got at Lowes and a couple of bullet connectors to connect all the wires from the stereo to the wiring harness adapter and used the parking brake bypass for a couple of other connections to keep from having to run a wire to the parking brake (made it much easier). Then plugged the wiring harness adapter into the factory wiring harness. My antenna cable was barely long enough, so the 12" extension made it easier to connect. The extra length allowed me to rest the stereo on top of the dash with it completely connected to test it before I bolted it in.

Works well so far.

I have some pictures that I will try to post before long.

I recently bought a Pioneer AVH-1300NEX, wiring harness adapter, a parking brake bypass, and a 12" antenna cable extension from Amazon for around $250.

Amazon product ASIN B073BNFTV7
One of the cheapest stereos I could find with Apple CarPlay.

Installation was relatively easy. Just removed the brackets off the factory double din stereo and put them on the new Pioneer. No trimming of the instrument panel cover necessary.
Used a terminal strip I got at Lowes and a couple of bullet connectors to connect all the wires from the stereo to the wiring harness adapter and used the parking brake bypass for a couple of other connections to keep from having to run a wire to the parking brake (made it much easier). Then plugged the wiring harness adapter into the factory wiring harness. My antenna cable was barely long enough, so the 12" extension made it easier to connect. The extra length allowed me to rest the stereo on top of the dash with it completely connected to test it before I bolted it in.

Works well so far.

I have some pictures that I will try to post before long.
Following @Rustinator setup as well. Quick question: what kind of terminal strip did you need? Trying to order everything before jumping in. Thanks!

If you want proper GPS. I would look into atoto a6 pro $305 amazon. Full android head unit. Means that you can get proper GPS apps from the play store. Not those silly android auto things. Helpful when you're dead center in a 1000 miles from anywhere.

Cheap Boss radio from Amazon. Fit perfectly

View attachment 1634762

This is what I also went with...in 2015...and it's still going strong. That said, I just replaced all four speakers and added a subwoofer (using the subwoofer output on the Boss. Through stock speakers it sound predictably poor. Through all the new it sounds wonderful! Boss also makes really nice auto speakers, including ones that will fit in the front doors with @TheNeek 's adapter rings.

I bought a cheap $70 bluetooth mechless, touchscreen radio. Had to trim, but my dash is cracked all over anyways, and still a tight fit. Haven't run the rearview camera yet.

Amazon product ASIN B07HL422GS
If I want something nicer I will build an rpi with GPS and a 7" touchscreen and still be under $200.... then just add either an amplifier or a (hidden) motorcycle stereo.

You can see it in this picture. Sounds surprisingly good for the price and not touching the speakers in the rig.

The LX470 has a Pioneer DVD touchscreen and even with the headrest screens (PO installed) we rarely use it for the kids. The 93 80 series I installed a base model BT/CD double din and it was decent.

Kenwood always had had clunky controls. Every time I've had one I've regretted getting it.

20190127_172833.jpg

Following @Rustinator setup as well. Quick question: what kind of terminal strip did you need? Trying to order everything before jumping in. Thanks!
@packyb
I bought the Utilitech Quick wire connector. I got it at the local Lowe's Home Improvement Store. It has 12 connectors and that worked out very well. Here's a link to Lowe's website, but you can probably get it online cheaper at Amazon if I had to guess. I didn't think to order one so I just grabbed one that was in stock locally.

and for the period correct Purist still out there , there's this ..........

I went with the Pioneer Pioneer-MVH-1400 I liked the no buttons clean and simple look. I didn't want a bunch of lights and buttons that distract from the simplicity and clean look of the original FJ-62 dash. Works great for the last 3 years. I replaced a USB adapter with one of the coin holder snap-ins, as well as one int the glove box. Hardest part i had was installing the mic for hands free. I went with the steering column tucked in out of sight. I think it has fallen off by now.

Really appreciate this thread. Although intimidated by the wiring/soldering, I was inspired to dive in - and had a surprisingly smooth install of a Pioneer MVH-1400NEX in my 1988 FJ62. Used the Metra 70-1761 Radio Wiring Harness, the MicroBypass override, a 12" antenna extension (to help with installation), and a solder seal wire connector set. Everything worked on the first try - plug and play. I can't believe I waited this long! No more cassette adaptor plugged into my iPhone!
IMG_1508.jpg
IMG_1510.jpg
IMG_1514.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom