Builds 86 4runner build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gumby

Supamod
s-Moderator
Threads
20170212_163526.jpg
E37D05D4-6BC9-442C-A871-80CF309F57D0.jpeg
About a year ago I bought a 1986 4runner off of Craigslist. The owner said he bought it after the PO had done a HG. Then it quit running and he couldn’t get it started. I called, told the guy I was an hour and a half out and to please call if he sold it. He got lots of calls, but told them I was on the way, so I gave him full price. $600. He said some of the callers told him the no start was because he had the inlet tube off. He said if I put it on and it started, he wasn’t selling it. We pushed it up on the trailer.
It took a bit more to get it running, but not a whole lot more.

Last edited:
the next day I went and picked up a free body off of CL. First of lots of free parts, mostly from a group of Windy City land cruisers and Hoosiers cruisers.

Dechromed it using the parts truck and Rock Auto

Rock Auto sent a lot of other boxes too.

New brakes, half shafts, idler arm, timing set, plugs, wires, shocks, radiator, belts and hoses. All new fluids. Media blasted and powdercoated a few parts. Got a new 22re sticker from toyota. Lots of sorting vacuum lines and leaks, but finally got rid of the idle surge.
20180204_095742.jpg

Ordered a new shifter scrotum off of eBay and installed the Marlin Crawler knob and a round generic one I had laying around.

Recovered the arm rest with an old t-shirt and some memory foam.
20180204_095646.jpg
20180204_095640.jpg

Removed the rear bumper and brackets.

Installed 1” lift blocks to raise the rear level. Installed new shackles.

Scored some sr5 seats and a set of rims and tires, along with a period correct Apline head unit. Installed some new rear speakers, new fronts and a powered kenwood sub under the seat.

Last edited:
20170524_193916.jpg
View attachment 1625687 Drove it all summer, until I decided to take the plunge and commit to fixing the quarters.

Cut out all the rust in the arches, and welded in new metal. Fixed the rockers and tailgate too. Set up a visqueen paint booth and gave it a quick paint job in 033 white.

Got a new lower valance too.

20170702_140609_001.jpg

20170611_111729.jpg

Last edited:
The module for the rear window is corroded beyond repair. I bypassed the module with a dpdt switch.

A friend got me a license plate light cover from a boneyard. I had to make new mounts. Light socket was gone so I bought two led bolts. Ordered the 4wd badge from a mud vendor. Ordered a new plate.

Built a new exhaust with a big muffler and a cat. I was tired of breathing hydrocarbons from the eliminated cat. Media blasted the manifold, painted it with extra high heat paint, new studs and gaskets. No more exhaust leaks.

View attachment 1625693

6654C562-E1DD-4820-ADF2-83AF40D3DAA4.jpeg

Last edited:
20180204_095714.jpg
0BA95B42-91EA-44BC-82C4-A6DBEFAF4E40.jpeg
I took both sets of steelies to work, tumbled them in the bead blaster, then powder coated one set silver and one gm rallye charcoal. Bought new center caps for the rear from Mr. T. Cleaned up the front hub covers, rebuilt the hubs, media blasted and painted the dials.

I had a pair of led driving lights I put in the bumper and bought a pair of 5” rounds for a pair of old Toyota kc daylighter covers I had.

Bumper is RA. Grille is painted parts truck. Valence is RA. Skid plate is generous donation from buddy doing an sas.

Last edited:
I think we need more pictures. I say that only to make sure I'm sub'd. Love (my) Gen1 4Runner.

Last edited:
Upload directly to the forum? Looks pretty sweet, nice to see someone cutting out the rust over just building it to thrash it.

55590.jpeg
55591.jpeg

I started the thread because I’m picking up a 3rd gen 4cyl 2wd tomorrow with a milkshake trans. I have enough parts sold that I’m going to get the motor for a couple of hundred bucks.

I wanted to document the 3rz swap from the start.

Last edited:
Interested in the 3rz swap. Hoping to do one here in a year or so. What are your plans mount wise? Cut and relocate the stock 22re ones?

I like the 3rz. Will be the next engine to go in.

You planning on older or newer 3rz?

Interested in the 3rz swap. Hoping to do one here in a year or so. What are your plans mount wise? Cut and relocate the stock 22re ones?
Conversion mounts are available that are bolt in.

Conversion mounts are available that are bolt in.

I remember reading about issues with fittings the Chilkat mounts. I believe there's other ones on the market now is why I was asking.

I remember reading about issues with fittings the Chilkat mounts. I believe there's other ones on the market now is why I was asking.
Great. I think those are the ones I have stashed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom